Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 47 Andre Booker Foundation 5K - Before The Start (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it – , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  – old fashioned, lol – so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2047%20Andre%20Bookman%20Fndn%205K?sort=2

Before My Start

My 47th race of 2018 was the Andre Booker Foundation 5K on July 30, held to raise scholarships for students. Race venue was Bluebonnet Palace, a place of entertainment (dancing, music, concerts, etc) in Selma, Texas.  Race start time of 8 a.m.  I live pretty close to Selma, which borders on the San Antonio lines, so arrived on site with a little less than an hour to go to start time, and got a few start photos.  This was a fairly small event with about 65 people registered, and one of the few races being held this weekend in San Antonio area.

With friend Karen

These are two of the foundation representatives

My friend Karen getting stoned

Athlete Guild folks getting ready to do the timing, etc.

There were a couple people there older than me, lol.

Two pretty ladies....the 4-legged one did get a treat from me

Me and friend Don

Now here's a motley crew lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

For some reason, when I tried to post the photos, my full report with photos would not post.

I don't know if Running Ahead has changed their policy about how many photos can be on one post.  I know I tend to post a lot of photos.

If there is a limit now, I guess I will just have to put in the link to the photos only.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt