Beginners and Beyond

Week 7 Penguins are so friendly!! (02/10-02/16) (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today is National Make A Friend Day, which works for us as we welcome Linda!!  Howdy!  I don't actually run, I bike and do yoga.  Today's yoga session was hips and legs, which felt great, but was a little bit of a strain for my back, so I threw in a little bit of back relaxation as well.  No biking, due to the rain and a fair bit of ice.  Tomorrow isn't looking good either.  Oh well, it is still winter!

Facilities hasn't come by and fixed my light yet, so the outer office keeps going dark, and my own office does too.  I guess that's the problem with sitting with my back to the door -- my back is also toward the light sensor.  I'll be glad when they fix this!  (And yes, I'm currently sitting here in the dark.)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.  Ran Got the TM on Friday and have been on it since.  Thankful it's here just in time for the first month of Summer, February. 

HopesMom, hoping your back feels better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope your back is feeling better. I've managed to overstress it a couple of times with yoga. I am really inflexible and no matter how often I do yoga, it doesn't seem to help.

D - enjoy your new TM.

We were supposed to head south today on a month long roadtrip, but it's snowing. Two inches so far, another 4 inches possible, with ice and freezing rain expected tonight and tomorrow. I'll do some miles on the TM after we give Ben his belated walk.

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

Hey All!

You ARE a friendly bunch, yay!

HM, I love yoga too.  Have you ever seen those yoga hoops or circles?  I haven't tried them but saw them recently on a yoga duds site, and now I'm currious about them.  Sometimes I try to remember to lie back on top of a plyo ball to help stretch out my shoulders, back, and chest.  I've been a computer babe for, like, forever, so I have that hunch to my posture that I'm fighting.

Our winter event here in MD was not bad, really.  Woke up to ice and snow but, the temps are rising so even without sun , it is all going away.  But it's raw and cold, and so I will still use the treadmill.  I'm that lazy!  Right now I am gonna go check on the black beans and rice I'm fixing for us for lunch.

Be well, all!

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Singer who runs a smidge

My DH has total computer posture, probably because he's also a computer dude.  I remind him to stretch, but it doesn't happen.  When he's 80 (and I'm 72), he's going to be stuck looking at the ground all the time, and I will probably poke fun at him.

Haven't seen yoga hoops or circles or anything weird like that.  I know blocks, but that's it.  I guess my yoga palate is about as developed as my wine palate!

Cold and dampish out.  Rain continues ... there may be some hot chocolate and Bailey's in my future tonight!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!!  Forgot about the hot chocolate and Bailey's, but DH made soup last night, so there's that.  It's cold and rainy again today, but tomorrow looks a little better.  Today's yoga video was "Motion is lotion", so I was expecting a lot of flow from one pose to another, not a lot of deep pauses for stretching.  Turns out it was all upper body stretching.  Which is definitely not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting.  It's all good!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and weights tonight.  While the US has Winter, us here in Miami already started summer.  85F already and heading to 90F.  It was in the low 80s last week and I had hopes of at least a tiny bit of a sliver of a tiny bit of Winter weather but nope.

Ginny, hoping the snow abates a bit for you guys to head South.

Linda, ouch at the ice and snow.

HopesMom, my husband is the same.  Fortunately, I convinced him to do Pilates with me because his spine is a bit curved (think Scooby Doo's sidekick dude) but Pilates has prevented him to get further like that. I can picture him completely bent when old if he does not continue with Pilates classes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We had more snow last night, which switched to rain and sleet sometime in the night. The snow on our driveway was very wet and heavy and hard to move, so I got a strenuous upper body workout trying to move it. We walked Ben in falling sleet and rain on slushy slippery streets. We had hot chocolate last night, after walking in falling snow, but no Baileys. Today was chicken noodle soup to warm up. Now we get to brave the roads to get groceries, since I didn't buy much before the storm, thinking we'd be on the road yesterday.  I've got an 8 mile interval run to do after we get back from the store.  TM of course. The roads are very wet and slippery.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, sorry you're getting hammered with the weather!!  Same for Damaris, though hers is kind of the opposite of yours.  Too much sun and not enough cool!  Maybe if you could ship each other your weather ...

As an assistant director in my chorus, I got a sneak peak at the new riser placement.  Surprise, I am in the middle of the fourth (top) row.  Which isn't such a huge problem, except we do not have back rails on our risers, so I'm standing about 3 feet off the ground and one misstep will send me crashing.  I'm not majorly nervous, but will admit to being slightly nervous.

So today's yoga session was all about balance, which I kinda suck at.  Warrior III, tree pose, etc.  Not that it'll fix me by tomorrow's rehearsal, but it was a good thing.  Biking was good too, except for having to maneuver around construction and closed roads.  Seriously, people???  There's supposed to be a couple of places where Richmond posts road closures, and the two I had to go around this morning were not posted anywhere.  I shouldn't be surprised any more.  Well, I'm not surprised, but I do get annoyed.  Deep breaths, Hope'sMom!!

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 6 with strides tonight.  I was planning on lifting after Pilates but Pilates was full of planks and pushups so I had enough.

Ginny, nice TM run.

HopesMom, hoping yoga fixed you.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  Quartet rehearsal last night was quite good.  Competition is in about five weeks, so both the chorus and the quartet are in go-go-go mode.  It's a bit stressful, but we'll all get through it.  Yoga this morning was slow and contemplative, which was good, because I was NOT ready to be awake yet!  DH and I swapped our annual Valentine's Day cards.  His to me was sweet, and mine to him was funny.  Good times!  We got engaged on Valentine's Day 18 years ago.  I think I'll keep him. 

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

We got engaged on Valentine's Day 18 years ago.  I think I'll keep him. 

Happy Engagement Anniversary, then, HM!  DH and I got married on this day in (...ahem .. the longago ).  He's definitely a keeper!

Doing easy work on the TM today, before heading to DS and DDIL's for Valentine's Day Fondue.  Yum!

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 9 miles tonight.

HopesMom, nice!  Happy Engageversary.

Ginny, enjoy the TM.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy Anniversary, Linda!!  Mmm, fondue ..