Beginners and Beyond

CVS to Stop Selling Tobacco (Read 82 times)

Love the Half

CVS Stops Selling Tobacco

I chain smoked for 30 years.  Good for them.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

onemile

Guess I'm gonna have to buy my cigs somewhere else. 

happylily

That's brave of them. I imagine it will be a big loss of revenue. Hopefully, others will follow them.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Will run for scenery.

In related news, I saw somewhere that China is starting to take steps to curb youth smoking.  Seems like a huge step in a positive direction.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

RSX

CVS in MA can't sell cigarrettes here legally anyway. I always found it odd when I went out of state to see them sold there and/or beer.

LRB

When they banned smoking in restaurants here, there were predictions that the world would come to an end.  Humans are resourceful, people will adapt.

CVS in MA can't sell cigarrettes here legally anyway. I always found it odd when I went out of state to see them sold there and/or beer.

In MI you can get hard liquor there too.

Surprising decision by CVS. Not sure how profitable cigarettes are for a drugstore, but they are of course not just losing those sales, but also  whatever else the cigarette-buyer would've picked up along with it (see above note on liquor).

Dave

Yugo8

In MI you can get hard liquor there too.

Surprising decision by CVS. Not sure how profitable cigarettes are for a drugstore, but they are of course not just losing those sales, but also  whatever else the cigarette-buyer would've picked up along with it (see above note on liquor).

According to NPR, CVS profits about $2 billion annually from tobacco sales. 

delicate flower

According to NPR, CVS profits about $2 billion annually from tobacco sales. 

Sounds like a lot, but then I read that their annual revenue is around $125 billion.  Yowsa.  That's a 1.6% loss which I'm sure they'll get back in some sort of way.

<3

Nevrgivup

Sounds like a lot, but then I read that their annual revenue is around $125 billion.  Yowsa.  That's a 1.6% loss which I'm sure they'll get back in some sort of way.

They probably will get it back with their minute clinics. They are popping up everywhere.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

RSX

They probably will get it back with their minute clinics. They are popping up everywhere.

They should be called half hour+ clinics and that is only if there isnt a line. I went once and never again

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

That's brave of them. I imagine it will be a big loss of revenue. Hopefully, others will follow them.

One report I saw said they expected to lose about $2 billion in revenue across their 7,600 or so stores.

Ballsy move.  While I would love to see a nation with less smokers I am not sure how well the nations economy would react to the loss of the tobacco industry from it.  Sure there will be money spent elsewhere but it will still have an enormous impact with the loss of revenue and loss of jobs with it.

They still anticipate $130 billion this year in the rest of their sales though.  I suspect the sales loss could be higher because the smokers would be going somewhere else to buy their smokes and not doing their impulse buying at CVS along with any other convenience shopping when getting their meds.  Might even move their 'scripts to a different store.

The ripple effect in lost sales could be much bigger than planned.

The company is still considering whether to sell e-cigarettes, and it plans to continue selling alcohol products and snack foods — items that, “when taken in moderation or used occasionally, do not have the effect of the occasional use of tobacco products,” Merlo said on a conference call with reporters.

So, there is some incentive to drop cigs other than public welfare.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I use their E coupon every week.  They send me an email, I click on it and they put the coupon on my keychain card.  If they could just get rid of the 3 foot receipt.

Just hope they don't stop selling liquor.

catwhoorg

Labrat

They should be called half hour+ clinics and that is only if there isnt a line. I went once and never again

Its a lottery to be sure, but mostly for us its a fairly short wait.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18