Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Sleepyhead Penguins!! (Read 21 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Can't believe nobody's up yet!!  DH took a nap yesterday morning (apparently Dusty snuck up on the bed with him, bad dog!) so he couldn't sleep last night.  And therefore neither could I.  It's turning out to be a sleepy week for us!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins! Good morning Hope!

Today is a rest day for running, but I did get in another Insanity workout. Phew! Waking up at 4:30 a.m. bites a little bit, but at least I know I will get my workout in (it gives me less time to "get bogged down" with my busy schedule).

I hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday!

Zelanie

Morning, sleepyheads!  I am at SRD #9 today.  I felt pretty stiff on my 4-mile walk yesterday, not sure if that's because I am still recovering or because I sat around and did nothing all week last week.  I did roll really thoroughly when I got home.

HsM- Just 3 more wakeups before the weekend!

Rach- Good job getting up early to get the workout in!

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Zel, enjoy your last few days off. Smile

HopesMom - coffee? Wink

Rach, at least insanity is inside where it's warm!

URD for me - I thought I'd do an easy run this morning, but my toes really really hurt!   I'm about to squeeze into the shoes and take my pup out for his 1/2 mile stroll; we'll see how that goes since last night I couldn't put the shoes on without pain.

Singer who runs a smidge

Brilliant, what's wrong with your toes?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens:

Brilliant: How was the HM? Are your toes just swollen or what?

Rach: Hiya and welcome back.

Zel: I am guessing it is a combination of both. You might want to start some easy running, maybe two or three miles?

HsM: I 'm jealous...

35 minutes and 6 strides for me last night. I'm happy to say my legs are finally recovering from runs. I am now building in some easy speed work, following the Daniels Red fitness plan from his book. It's nothing too hard and I am not training for anything, just continuing my sloooow base building.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Back to work after 4 days off.   Started today in the new building my department was moved to over the last 4 days....and no power for the computers, etc, sheesh.  So while the electricians fixed that, we all got our offices set up.   So now the power is on - as you can tell -and I'm comfortably settled in my new digs.  Nice to be in a brand new building and back on the main campus - we were 8 miles away from the main campus in our previous building.   So now we have the 'university atmosphere' back, with all the students going to-and-from class and so forth. Very nice.

And the weather has gotten cooler.  52 degrees this morning and only 82 degrees this afternoon.  So I can quit getting up at 5 a.m for a while to go run, and become an after-work runner now until when it starts getting hot again in May.  May now actually SEE any Great Legs I encounter.   Plan on doing about 4 miles after work, a mix of trails and paved roads in one of my favorite parks, and enjoy the sunshine, low dew-point and sweet temperature.

Did this 5K over the weekend; this one was in support of abused, neglected, and abandoned children, of which we have way too many in Texas, which is sad.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8928396858ce4138aad2ad6178ad6e11/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Well, I was up...and working!  Pilates tonight and maybe a run.  It was supposed to be with hubby but he stayed home sick.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ran 2.5 easy with DH this morning.  He hasn't really run at all since August - but I have him signed up for a 5 mile race on October 26th.  I've convinced him he should at least run a few times before then so it isn't completely terrible for him.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

re: my toes.  I think maybe I need a different shoe?  I've been running in Brooks Ravennas since I started running 3 years ago.  After the marathon in March, and after Sunday's half, my toes got so sore, like they were jammed up against the end of the shoe.  Very sore at the tips of the toes and on top of them.  (strangely, not the big toe...just the smaller ones). And no, toenails were not too long.  ??

Anyway, this morning I pulled a pair of impulse-buy clearance Hokas out of my closet that I'd never worn.  Pillowy, roomy delight! Smile  Walking the dog went fine so I decided to run 3.2.  It went OK.  Maybe I'll give the Hokas a chance!

Jack, nice running, I hope your recovery continues well.  Long Beach was better than I remembered!  The weather was perfect, cool and overcast the whole time.  Maybe that's why I didn't hate the course.  That 3 mile stretch along the beach is still too crowded, but the worst part about it 2 years ago was the sun beating down on the pavement during that stretch.  That part was actually pretty pleasant on Sunday.  And I PRed which generates a lot of love for the race on my part. Smile  Oh, and for the first time ever I visited a beer garden! (I always forget my ID).  Who knew Michelob could taste so good.

sapf - good luck with the training with hubby!

Damaris, running again already?  Nice!

Scotty, your new digs sound nice.  I love the collegial atmosphere you described; that's one reason I went back to school.  My hubby thinks I'm going to get a job one day, but I plan to stick it out in school as long as I can. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Brilliant: Are your running shoes at least a size bigger than your every day shoes? My foot is a 10 but my running shoes are all 11.5 or 12 depending on the brand. Remember, your feet swell on long runs.

Brilliant

Jack, yes, my Ravennas have always been a full size bigger than my normal size.  And they'd never given me any trouble until the marathon, and then this weekend.  Thinking about it...it's the exact same pair.  I rotate shoes; this pair was fairly new in March and obviously more broken in now - I wonder if they are slightly "off"?  And darnit, I just noticed in looking at my equipment log here on RA, that these are Ravenna 4s; previously I'd worn Ravenna 2 and 3; maybe there was a change.

From the Internet.

Hello pens! Back from surgery, doing fine so far. The hernia was tiny, 1.5 cm, and they didn't have to use mesh for the repair. Tried to take off my oxygen mask to tell them they did a good job on the way out of the OR, lol. Follow up appointment in 2 weeks!

Brilliant

Yay, Lauren!  Glad you are well enough to post an update!