Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Live in their "Virtual World" Thursday! (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

August 20 is Virtual World Day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 6 and Pilates tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning. 2 or maybe a walk later this afternoon.  Or maybe I'll run a virtual ultra marathon.

PADRunner

Morning Doc evening group.

Zelanie

Well then, hello to my virtual friends!  After work today, my running club is having a potluck, plus of course a run beforehand. Smile

Scotty- Sounds like a great run yesterday!

D- Enjoy the pi-6.

Jerry- Hope you have some virtual fun.

PAD- Have a good group run!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

What does virtual world day even mean?

Scotty - what are you running plans for today?

DR - enjoy your 6 + pilates

Jerry - I vote virtual ultra marathon :-)

PAD & Zel - enjoy your group runs

I'm supposed to do 9 miles at some point today.  It is really muggy outside so I might be stuck with the TM =(  Later I'll pick up bibs and such for the 5k that I'm running with friends this weekend.  Today is my 4 year wedding anniversary with DH so we'll probably go out to dinner, but he was stuck at work until after 11pm last night so we'll see how that goes.  He has a motion to dismiss due today so it'll have to wait until after he gets that filed.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

With or without computers, some of us live in a virtual world.  What we imagine is more real than what we see.

D - have fun at Pilates this evening.  Do you run before or after class?

Jerry - so which ultra would you run if you were to run an ultra?

PAD - have fun with your running group this evening.  No doubles today?

Z - have fun at your group run tonight.  Sounds like fun.

sapf - busy day for you.  Happy anniversary.  I hope DH's brief goes quickly, so you can celebrate.

AFM:  It's raining, finally.  We got soaked walking Ben and enjoyed every minute.  I have speedwork today, which I do on the TM anyway since I don't really have access to a track.

From the Internet.

0.77 miles outside (!) and weights. I actually wore my watch this time because I was curious to see how much my pace had suffered - turns out not too much, ~10:10ish which is reasonable right after breakfast and with a 73 DP.

Brought pool stuff to work with me but I'm kinda hungry and tired after running around on the beach all day yesterday - we spent a fair amount of time throwing around volleyballs/footballs/frisbees in and out of the water, it was quite fun but my abs, of all things, hurt today. I have a ton of work to do anyway, so I think I'll just rest up and get in a good workout first thing tomorrow morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.6 miles done at Fort Sam on Wednesday morning.  Then Wednesday evening at 6:30 pm., the social outing with my Team RWB group, run or walk a distance of your choice; 3 easy miles for me along the San Antonio River Walk, starting and finishing at the oldest VFW post in Texas.  A little bit warm at 96 degrees and very humid, but hey, at least we're out of the 100 degree area for a while!  Run/walk  followed by watermelon slices, beer, music, and nice socializing conversation.    This social fun-run is held every Wednesday evening and before we start the run/walk portion, we always get a group photo of everyone there.  I'm in the back row, top, in the lime green shirt.

Tonite after work, an easy 3-4 miles.   And a cool front for us in San Antonio...only 92 degree high today, oh yay!  It's another social event with Team RWB...this time at a local park...a Fitness Camp with exercises (most of which I can't do because of my stupid back) and a fun-run, followed by pulled-pork sandwiches, hot dogs, various chips, and drinks, etc.  Sweeet!

photo VFW run_zpsvrlt3btp.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Amazonian Princess

Happy Thursday,verynearly Friday!

Docket - saw the illustration in the dailies, ouch! Glad your foot's been realigned!

Hi, Jerry! Are you still experimenting with run/walk? Ralk? Hmmm, sounds parrotty...

Happy group run, PAD!

Zelanie, by chance, does a POTluck mean anything different in Oregon?

sapf - Happy anniversary to you and your hubs!

Lauren - I saw that you tried Alter-G; from floaty belt to floaty britches? I wish someone who tried it would post a report. I'm not injured (just huge) but I've love to try running with less impact to the bod.

scottydawg - enjoy your run tonight!

AFM, I've got a session with the trainer in about an hour. Did a 3.8 mile paved trail last night which included 12 underpasses (6 out and 6 back) and running uphill was actually fun and waaaay easier that it used to be, so I'll have to thank her for all the weighted squats and step-ups

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No Ultras planned, Ginny.  Not even a FM.

Bacon, we only did the runwalk a couple of times on LR's. Roughly 10:1 minutes. It varies as we willl try to coordinate the walks with stop lights or pit stops.  I just have to remember to signal DW when I stop running so she doesn't run me over.  Usually we run side by side, but when there's a lot of congestion on the bike path, she stays behind me.  The runwalk seems to help us deal with the heat better.

Good job with the squats and hills.

Docket_Rocket

With or without computers, some of us live in a virtual world.  What we imagine is more real than what we see.

D - have fun at Pilates this evening.  Do you run before or after class?

Jerry - so which ultra would you run if you were to run an ultra?

PAD - have fun with your running group this evening.  No doubles today?

Z - have fun at your group run tonight.  Sounds like fun.

sapf - busy day for you.  Happy anniversary.  I hope DH's brief goes quickly, so you can celebrate.

AFM:  It's raining, finally.  We got soaked walking Ben and enjoyed every minute.  I have speedwork today, which I do on the TM anyway since I don't really have access to a track.

I usually have Pilates first (straight after work) and then go home and run on the TM.  Otherwise, I would never get to the studio to do Pilates.  On Thursday, since I work from home, I might do the miles during the day and then pilates but today, I didn't even get to that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page