Beginners and Beyond

Watered Wednesday Penguins (Read 15 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow the downpours yesterday afternoon were epic around here =D  I'm glad they seemed to have broken the heat we've been having here.  That's my weather related comment of the day.  It made for a beautiful sunset.

I did 4.9 easy today.  I was planning on 6 but all of the park bathrooms were locked and that was problematic.  I think with this new running super early plan I probably should stop eating after like 7pm to avoid such issues in the future :-(  Either that or go to central park to run -- I think they open their bathrooms at 6am?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning. Rest day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning! Long run done, out the door at 4:37 AM for 15 miles, 9:30 pace.

Achilles has been fine for a solid couple of weeks now, so I tackled my "favorite" hill somewhere in the middle - 3/4 mile of up with the steepest part toward the end. Gross. Feeling easier now that I've run it a few times though!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Not much going on with me and DH today -- he's helping with our church's VBS this week, and I'm working as usual.  

sapf -- wow, gorgeous pic!!  

Docket -- have a good RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your long run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning !!!

Gym and short run for me.

hog4life

15 mile LR for me too, but way slower than Lauren at 10:30 pace. This heat is stupid!! Now off for a nap, starting nights this week.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Run/Walk after work yesterday around my neighborhood and in the park adjacent to my neighborhood.  A little after 5 pm and a nice 'cool' 90 degrees out there.  Got in 3.3 miles before I retreated back into the A/C of my house.   Today after work, more of the same, but will do my run/walk in a park downtown that has lots of nice shade trees along the trails, making it feel a bit cooler.  At least mentally anyway.

RIP to one of my local running club members, Gerry Kaylor, who died very unexpectedly (heart attack)...he was only 55 years old.  Super nice guy and a runner in the San Antonio community from way back.  Very well known in our local running community.  He will be missed.

Gerry Chauvin Kaylor

August 14, 1959 - June 17, 2015

Gerry Chauvin Kaylor

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On a lighter note...

Today is Celebrate The Senses Day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, sorry to hear about your friend!

GinnyinPA

sapf - lovely sunset.  I hope you can find a good route with early opening bathrooms.

d - hope you enjoyed your rest day.  Are you still in SC?

Z - I hope all is well now with DH and DD.

Lauren - that's a fast LR, for sure.  Good job.

HM - I hope you and DH enjoy another quiet evening together.

Mitch - good job on the very long run in the heat.

Jerry - I hope you got a nice short run today.

Scotty - sorry to hear about your friend.  I hope you got a nice cool shady run today.

AFM:  Last night's storm (that didn't really storm here) brought cooler and dryer weather, so DH and I took Ben to the woods for a nice short hike.  The mountains got more rain there than we did, so it was a very wet trail, but very green and with lots of mudpuddles and streams for Ben to play in.  I was just happy to be in the woods at last.

Docket_Rocket

Still here until 2pm tomorrow!  Hi!

Scotty, I am sorry about the loss.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

saph- Great picture!

Ginny- Thanks!  Glad you got in a good hike!

Scotty- What a shame.  My sympathies to his family.

Lauren- You need to get yourself some "badass" socks if you don't have them already.

D- Hope the work trip is going OK.

Mitch- Nice LR!

HsM- Hope your calm day stayed that way!

Last day of vacation here.  We're finally back to a nice equilibrium.  It was cooler here, and overcast.  I went exploring a bit in Stanley Park and got a bit lost on the trails.  But all in good fun- it's not a very big park and it's got water on 3 sides, so you know you'll come out somewhere eventually!  Then we went and saw King Lear.  Now we need to pack up- we're heading out early tomorow!