Beginners and Beyond

Single people: Who moved on over? (Read 917 times)

SusanRachel

For the short term you could cheer for a Syracuse win over Louisville.

Which I got.  Go Cuse!  Big grin

socutemd

So are people giving up on this thread?  It has been too quiet here lately.

I thought I had a couple of possible new jobs to move to, but everything is falling through and I can feel myself slipping away.  When you have no family and work is miserable, that means life is miserable too.  There is nothing to fall back on.  I just want to stare at a wall for 20 months, but after that, I have no idea what I want to do.

Ugh, so sorry to hear about this.  Must be painful.

I'm not giving up on it...just been super busy.  Worked 12 hour overnights over the weekend.  And, of course, I've been spending a significant portion of my (already sparse) spare time with someone in particular.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've been experimenting in culinary concoctions. This is my latest for Friday night's dinner.

I threw together some left over chicken, diced that and chopped some broccoli and red and green peppers, then sauteed that in Italian dressing, added a little garlic powder for seasoning and served with warm Italian bread dribbled with olive oil. Turned out surprisingly good.

Not sure if the photo is going to post. I have problems posting them here. I also posted it on FB here.

ETA: Finally success with posting the picture.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SusanRachel

Looks yummy, George!  Smile

Socute, I hear ya.  My shortest work days are 11 hours.  Most are 12 - 14.  A few are 16+.  Weekends are spent sleeping.

Flying tomorrow night.  I'm really looking forward to that.  I need another 2.6 hours this month and have to get it this week because I will be otherwise occupied next week.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Winter finally arrived in the guise of sub-freezing temps for the highs and wind chills in th esingle digits. I surprised myself and managed to get out the door for 5 miles. Since work didn't need me on Monday when I was on call, I have a rare three days off in a row. That makes up for the weeks when work called when I wasn't on call and asked if I could fill in and I ended up with a 6-day work week.

Got my first official 2012 tax form in the mail today, my SSA-1099. Knowing I have only my own to do this year and not working as a tax preparer is really a relief. For the past 5-6 years I was working the kind of hours Susan and socutemd are, but only for a few months. It makes me very thankful that I have a choice in the matter and don't have to face 50-60 hours weeks.

I'm also already anxious about this Fall's 12-hour run, my first ultra. Despite having read a lot on-line and even a book I bought, I still feel completely lost and at sea. One of the things that has me worried is the whole hydration and nutrition aspect. When I started running we ran marathons with no aid stations, no water, and a lot of ignorance. It's been hard changing attitudes and habits regarding food and drink on the run. Not having a very high opinion of Gallow-walking, I'm also faced with adjusting for the necessity to plan walking as part of my strategy. I'm seriously considering shelling out some significant money for a coach that was highly recommended to me. Meanwhile I have to prepare for my second indoor track meet this Sunday with temps too cold to risk running speed workouts.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

SusanRachel

Brr George.  It's in the mid 50s here.  Smile  As to the ultra, you'll be fine.

50-60 hours sounds like a very nice week.  I'm at 70 not including PT and flying.  The good news is that I did get my 2.6 hours of flight time, so I'm good for the month.  Go me!

Military is making maintaining medical education a real challenge lately.  With all the budget cuts, we can't go to medical education conferences.  Unfortunately, the continuing medical education credits are required to maintain licensure.  I was supposed to go to a conference next week which was canceled.  I think instead I'll take Tuesday through Thursday off.  Heck, I wasn't going to be there anyhow.  I need some leave.  I need a break.

tessasnewlife

I haven't been participating in life for the last  few weeks. Kind of lost it when I walked out of my job. So I am moving to the ghetto. Should make life more interesting.

My roommate now hates me so home life at the moment is uncomfortable. There was a bit of slamming doors last night and vague fb status. Hopefully she stays away this weekend!

SusanRachel

Yikes Nicole.  That sounds scary!  Did she ever pay you her part or move her boxes?

Probably going to go visit some friends tomorrow.  If my luck holds, I'll get to run on a pretty nice running trail too.  Smile  There is absolutely nowhere to run here.

tessasnewlife

srIRS I hope you made it to your friends, and get in a awesome run.  Yes she finally paid me and finally started a job last week. Nut I am not sure I can stand a month of slamming doors.

SusanRachel

The friend thing moved to tomorrow (I hope).  Glad you finally got paid, but how freakin immature is she to be slamming doors?  Holy crap, she needs to grow up!

In the mean time, got a tire fixed today and a four mile run in, then did some grocery shopping in the evening.  Yep, that's how the swinging singles roll on a Saturday night Roll eyes

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's a new month. I'm hoping the worst of the cold it behind us now.  I surprised my self by only skipping one day of running in January because of the cold. Another exciting weekend for me working tonight and tomorrow night. Some time this weekend I need to do the ironing and fit in a long run tomorrow or Sunday. I'm really pleased with how far I've come back from a year ago. Last January I was starting to come back from a long (5-6 month) cutback due to injury. I almost doubled last year's mileage for January, 150.2 vs 77.3. It's a good start for the year.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K