Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Lager On! (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Happy Dec 10!  Today is National Lager Day!

photo Lager_zpscahyggke.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I got an unexpected day off from work today as my dang 'check engine' light burned steady on my vehicle's instrument panel, so had to drop it off at my mechanic's yesterday evening.  Well, it was due for an oil change and routine maintenance anyway, so it's all good...my 2005 Escape has about 186,000 miles on it right so all in all it's still doing pretty well.  Aside from that little glitch, yesterday went pretty well.  Beautiful day, lots of sunshine, 76 degrees, and I got in a really great 4.2 miles of hill work done - 5 hills along the route - and felt strong the whole way, sweet.

Today I will work from home for a while and then get in a late morning run...and then some more work from home. And hopefully will get my vehicle back without too much of a cost.  This one is all paid for so my plan is to drive my 'buddy' until it just refuses to go anymore.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Cheers Scott and Pens !!!

Sorry about your car, Scott.  My 2004 Trailblazer with 95K is on its last legs with the transaxle rumbling like thunder.  I only use it for the 3 mile drive to work now and that will only be for a few more months.  Then we will only need 1 car.

3 miles for us this afternoon.  Should be about 60* by then.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!

I ran this morning, as I am working from home.  8 with 4 @ MP.  Not the full 10 I wanted but I am still congested and coughing up a lung, so instead I went for a good quality workout.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Another RD for me.

Docket_Rocket

Another RD for me.

Taper crazy?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I'm meeting a friend at central park for some easy miles and then picking up my race stuff for my 15k.  Originally I was going to really "race" this but I'll just take it as a supported long run (maybe a bit faster than normal) because I'm still not done coughing up all of the crud from my lungs.  I think last year I ran it in 1:42:30, so anything faster than that would be nice.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Scotty- Hope it's just an electrical glitch and they can reset the button.

Jerry- Enjoy the summer weather!

D- Glad you're feeling up for a MP run!

PAD- Taper well!

sapf- Good luck!  Is the race on Saturday?

Ginny- Happy birthday!  Got any special plans?

My track workout last night was awesome.  I don't even know what happened.  It was a very easy workout that doesn't make any sense, but who cares about all of that.  I got to the last 200m of the 800, and my legs were taken over by some fast runner and I just took off.  The rest of the workout was all short stuff, and I flew!  I hope that mystery fast runner comes back again!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I woke up coughing around 2AM, and at 4AM decided to just get up and stop staring at the ceiling.  Some Russian tea with whiskey settled me right down, so I slept on the couch a bit after that.  But it's left me dragging a little today, which is a problem with all I have to do (faculty meeting, seminar, chorus rehearsal).  Think I'll call the doc back and beg for an antibiotic.  

Scotty -- sounds like a lovely day, bar the car trouble!!

Jerryb -- Enjoy your 60-degree 3!!

Docket -- Woo-hoo for your 8 done, and for working from home!!

PAD -- have a good RD!!

sapf -- have fun with the friendly easy miles and good luck on the "race"!!

Zelanie -- Woo-hoo for the mystery fast runner!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No running today but I will get in the gym for some weight work. Three more weeks for my HM and I'm feeling pretty good.

Philliefan33

Good morning.  I'll run later today.  It's going to be almost 60 degrees today...that's very unusual in December here.  I'm not getting many points in the Winter Running Contest, but I don't care!

DH gets home from his business trip later tonight.  I guess I better pick up some of my messes...I"ve been working like a little elf on some gifts, and there are random scraps of fabric and thread trailing me around the house.

From the Internet.

Merry Christmas to my Outback! I was right - not one, but TWO failing wheel bearings! Ended up costing less than I had prepared myself for, but still a good chunk of change. Goodbye beautiful blue Garmin 235, I will buy you next year and stick with my 210 for now since it's still working!

MLR early this morning on very tired legs. I'ma eat lunch and maybe take a nap now, and then get some work done. Or work and then nap. I haven't decided yet.

PADRunner

Taper crazy?

Not to bad. Gaining taper weight!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, got the news about my car, had to replace a sensor and do some work on the brakes.  Other than that, it's running great.   And still cheaper than a new car.  So far so good.   Thankfully it will be ready around 5 pm. today so I will have it for transportation to my 3 races this Saturday.

Nice weather here in San Antonio right now.  Sunny...cloudless blue skies...77 degrees....only 42% humidity and dewpoint of 55.   Since I have no car today, I just did a run/walk in my neighborhood at 1 p.m.  I had forgotten how nice it is to run in my neighborhood, especially at this time of day, very little traffic; pretty safe since a police substation is right behind our subdivision so lots of their folks live in our area; and the biggest park in San Antonio backs up to my subdivision.  Love this park as it offers such a wide variety of trails and types of terrains.  So a nice run/walk of 3.1 miles on paved roads, paved park trails, and off-road trails, sweeet.  Felt good the whole way.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Very windy 3.5 miles.  Picked a route that kept us in the forest preserve when heading into the wind, so it wasn't too bad.   No walking today.

No lager in the house so settled for a Goose Island Pale Ale.

DD visiting so we can take her to Costco for new glasses.  Looks like I will be up early tomorrow to take her to the train station.

Good news Scott.  Glad the Escape is still running.  I squeezed another 6 miles out of the Trailblazer, so it gets the garage for the weekend.