Beginners and Beyond

Advice on back-to-back races (Read 72 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I feel really needy on this forum lol....but I have always found so much advice here that I wanted to run yet another thing by you guys.... apparently I can't make any running decisions on my own!!!

Ok dilemma...  ***sigh***

So I registered for a 4 mile race on Sunday April 7th. Already registered, paid up, have some friends going as well. I wanted to run this race because I have been dying to do a race in Central Park, but most of the spring races in CP this season don't work out for me date-wise (something else going on that weekend) or distance-wise (not the ideal race distance for where I need/want to be in my overall training plan for a 10 mile race in June). I JUST found out about a 5K the day before, April 6th in Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn, which has magnificent views of lower Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. It is the only race I know of that will be there.

Is it possible (fairly inexperienced runner) to run these races back-to-back? Barring any major recurrence of my ITBS issues that I'm working very hard on getting over, I should be very comfortable running both distances again by then. But I am not very inexperienced with running 2 days in a row (my new plan has me running 2 days in a row, but the second day as of now is a short recovery paced run).

So.... what to do what to do.

A) Just let the Brooklyn Bridge Park  race go, sadly, and wait for next year and hope I'm available for it

B) Run both easy (but that's no fun!!!)

C) Race the Brooklyn Bridge 5K, run the Central Park 4 miler easy

D) Run the 5K easy, race the 4 miler

E) Learn to make my own decisions without the help of the forum....lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I've done back to back races (and even PR in both).  My recommendation is to decide which race will be for fun and which for a PR (if any) because both cannot be all out efforts or one will suffer.  If the 4 miler, treat the 5K as a shakeout or easy run.  If not, vice versa.  Good luck!

And I cannot help you with which one to choose from unless I know more details.  Which one do you want to PR at?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BruceD555

I'll take a stab at working through your conundrum.

I don't see any problem with running both of them. Heck, I'd even race both of them but that's just me. So, the short answer is that if you can afford it financially, then I'd sign up for both races. However, with your past ITBS issues, it would really come down to what your body tells you closer to April as to how you will run each race.(Race both, race one/run the other, etc)

Think of it this way ... If you could only run one race, which one would you choose and why? If you choose the 5k just for the location/views and not because you want to PR it, then that race would be your "fun run" and you could then run or race the 4 miler in Central Park depending on how you feel. Does that make sense?

Train smart ... race smarter.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Well....the only 4 mile I've ever run was the one last Saturday that I ran as a 3 mile training run with the first mile as a walk/jog warm up. I can run a 4 miler easy and PR it. So I could, technically, run both for a PR without racing the 4M. Do I want to PR the 5K? Hmmm....guess I can't answer you til after my 5K Sunday if I'm going to be happy with that time or not lol

I've done back to back races (and even PR in both).  My recommendation is to decide which race will be for fun and which for a PR (if any) because both cannot be all out efforts or one will suffer.  If the 4 miler, treat the 5K as a shakeout or easy run.  If not, vice versa.  Good luck!

And I cannot help you with which one to choose from unless I know more details.  Which one do you want to PR at?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I think you should be okay doing both. In your current healing state, I'd recommend only racing one. I'd hate for you to aggravate your ITB again.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'll take a stab at working through your conundrum.

I don't see any problem with running both of them. Heck, I'd even race both of them but that's just me. So, the short answer is that if you can afford it financially, then I'd sign up for both races. However, with your past ITBS issues, it would really come down to what your body tells you closer to April as to how you will run each race.(Race both, race one/run the other, etc)

Think of it this way ... If you could only run one race, which one would you choose and why? If you choose the 5k just for the location/views and not because you want to PR it, then that race would be your "fun run" and you could then run or race the 4 miler in Central Park depending on how you feel. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense. Yeah....I guess my future is too up in the air to really determine how I can run either one right now. But I'm wondering if registering for the 5K would completely screw up the weekend and make it too hard to do well at either race.

I am really tempted to run the 5K based on location....there are a LOT of races in Central Park, even if there's not another one I can run this spring, there is a very high chance I will run another sometime in 2013. Also, there are more 4 mile races in NYC than 5Ks (believe it or not!!!) Honestly, had I known about the 5K I would probably not have registered for the 4M but alas, I did, and it was expensive (almost twice the price of the 5K), so thus the issue.

Thanks!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Me too.... I hate that damn IT band. I wish I could get under the skin and put some Body Glide on it lol

I think you should be okay doing both. In your current healing state, I'd recommend only racing one. I'd hate for you to aggravate your ITB again.

Docket_Rocket

I was going to say that same thing.  Race this Sunday and then decide which one you want to PR at.

Well....the only 4 mile I've ever run was the one last Saturday that I ran as a 3 mile training run with the first mile as a walk/jog warm up. I can run a 4 miler easy and PR it. So I could, technically, run both for a PR without racing the 4M. Do I want to PR the 5K? Hmmm....guess I can't answer you til after my 5K Sunday if I'm going to be happy with that time or not lol

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I've run back to back 5K's on multiple occasions. My PR was set on the second day of a back to back. I DO run them all out (as all out as is possible, I suppose). I say go for it.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've raced back-to-back and it can be tough even for a fit experienced runner. Looking at your log I don't think you would get optimum results from the CP race if you ran the day before even if you do PR there after running very easy in Brooklyn. I think you have enough time to try a few more back-to-back training runs to see how quickly you recover from the first and how tired you are on the second. That will give you an idea of whether you want to try the weekend double or just run your best in CP and skip Brooklyn. Running both at sub-optimal paces should be no problem as long as your ITBS doesn't act up.

ETA: I saw MJ5's post just after posting mine. It's unusual to run both allout and PR or even run as well in the second race. I've managed to win my AG in back-to-back races, a 5K and a 10K, but the 10K time was significantly worse than the 5K time. The AG ratings were 73.2 and 70.7 so you can see the second was worse.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you to MJ5 and wcrunner2. I appreciate both of you weighing in and sharing your experiences.

notimeforthat

I've run back to back 5K's on multiple occasions. My PR was set on the second day of a back to back. I DO run them all out (as all out as is possible, I suppose). I say go for it.

This if you are experienced at racing. If you aren't, the WC's advice is sound as well. ITBS will be aggravated at just about any pace, whether you are gutting it out or not. Look at it as less time on your feet, so less time to flare Smile

Oh, and ice that thing really well post run and stretch out later that evening and foam roll, even if you feel great. Do that religiously and it should not give you major issues (in theory of course Smile )

I PR'd a half and a 5K within a couple of weeks of one another, but I have been running since 2006 and that was in 2010? I think....anyway it was on 40-45 mpw back then and a hellish case of PF.

MrNamtor

looking at your log and training pattern (hope that's not creepy or anything, cause it does sound kind of creepy now that I'm saying it, but anyway) I would say that you COULD do it, and i don't think it would kill you or anything, but you might pay a price afterwards. And someone else mentioned your past injury so, yeah, "listen to your body" and don't blow yourself out.

flarunner

This.

Hip Redux

I have done back to back 5Ks.  The second one was mentally tough, but my legs felt decent (I am far from a high mileage runner). YMMV  I think the key is to cool down and stretch/foam roller after the first and do a solid warm up for the second.  Esp. with ITB issues.

You could always race the first one and see how you feel after.  If in your warm up the next day, you feel good, go for it.    If your legs are beat, just take it easy.