Beginners and Beyond

Running After Colonoscopy (Read 106 times)

Today I have a colonoscopy scheduled .  How quickly did you resume running?  The next day or some other day?  Also did you return to running sooner than the doctor suggested?  Let me know.  Thanks.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

RSX

I ran home after each procedure, (had a few of those and others at the same time). Actually I had no problem the the next day each time.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I'd ask the doctor, but my guess is the limiting factor will be how long it takes you to shake off the anesthesia.  Unless they have to do a lot of snipping and cutting while they're in there. Probably take today off, but I suspect you'll be good for something tomorrow.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Love the Half

Check with your doctor to be sure but I had a colonoscopy recently.  I don't think running later that day would be a good idea as you never know about the lingering effects of anesthesia.  I'm pretty sure I ran the next day though.  Of course, mine was clear and if they had needed to do any snipping and cutting while in there I might have been under doctor's orders not to run for a while.  So, back to what I said originally.  Check with your doctor.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Thanks guys for your replies.  I'm leaving shortly for the appointment.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Thanks guys for your replies.  I'm leaving shortly for the appointment.

Pics, or it didn't happen.  Smile

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Just B.S.

My hubby had one a few weeks ago. He ran the next day and 10 days later

ran a 3:30:09 marathon. Big grin

Just B.S., I should have planned accordingly and scheduled it two weeks prior to my first marathon in November. Need every advantage.  Smile

Biggest issue is anesthesia. I ran later in the day both times. Got a ride home, ate breakfast, then ran a few hours later - maybe 8 hrs later, but definitely less time than the 12 hrs allowed before you can drive. I'll admit I ran shorter the 2nd time, since the first time I felt uncomfortable after my turnaround (at 45 min).

This last time I was planning on walking over to where I used to work (maybe half mile away), then getting a ride from there. Doctor told me they wouldn't let people out of the hospital unless they were with someone (like a ride) - anesthesia effects and memory. He assured me they would call the police (RedBird?).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Will run for scenery.

Seems like that might be the safest time to run.  No danger of being attacked by the poo monster !

But yeah, I'd think the anesthesia is a serious concern.  I live across the friggin' street from the hospital and I had to get a ride home.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

They perforated my BIL's colon and he had problems for months.  Luckily, he is a non-runner.

Just an update from yesterday.  Due to the effects of sedation, I chose not to run Friday.  I ran 4.5 miles this morning though.  It felt fantastic just to run.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I ran home after each procedure, (had a few of those and others at the same time). Actually I had no problem the the next day each time.

+1.  I did not run home after each one, but by the next day I was fine and had no problems.  With my medical history, I get a colonoscopy every FOUR years.  Matter of fact....I'm due again this year.. Tight lips...so thanks so much, bozydeco, for reminding me... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

flarunner

I just ate a bunch after mine. Smile

RSX

+1.  I did not run home after each one, but by the next day I was fine and had no problems.  With my medical history, I get a colonoscopy every FOUR years.  Matter of fact....I'm due again this year.. Tight lips...so thanks so much, bozydeco, for reminding me... Wink

Good luck. I have achalasia (narrow esophagus). It was a problem for about 7 years, so had a bunch of endoscopies, gastroscopies, and sometimes while they had me under did colonoscopies for laughs. I was groggy the rest of the afternoon from the anathesia, but was always fine the next day to run or whatever.