Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins You Can Take This Snow And Shovel It! (Read 37 times)

Jen16226

Well I am back.

That race absolutely sucked.  If people are more worried about whether or not they are going to fall than if they are going to get a PR, then the race needs postponed.

They did NOT treat the trail at all.  Actually, I take that back.  They treated the part of the trail that is directly behind the YMCA (so everyone that was warming up on that saw that and thought Oh it's not bad at all!), however, that was literally the last 1/2 mile of the race.  We started out front and got onto the trail from another area and it was literally a sheet of ice for 2+miles.  I did shorten my steps, but even that didn't help and I slipped several times.  This seriously was my worst nightmare coming true and why I hate running in the winter.  After the first couple of slips, it truly deflated me. I tried to run on the snow as much as possible instead of tip toeing on the mini icebergs.

Anyway, I finished in 44:43 and took 3rd AG.  My step daughter took 3rd overall female so I at least had a bright spot in the day.

I uploaded my garmin onto my log for a good laugh.  *sigh*

Good news is the hammy feels OK.....bad news is my right knee is aching.  Not sure if it is just from running in the snow, having had to shorten my stride or from one of the several slips and attempts not to fall or not.  After I run DD to her friends in a little bit, I am going to have a good soak in an epsom salt bath and go from there.

Anyway.....I will be back later and sorry for my rant!  I am just sooooooo mad.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  Debating outside or inside run this afternoon.  Warming up, but streets still messy.  Tracks are crowded too.  Otherwise, just watching basketball.

Bin, enjoy the new year reunion.

Token Fat Guy

Huh...I always skipped these threads because I figured a penguin was a cold weather runner and I'm a Phoenician. I feel bad complaining about a cold snap that puts us in the 20's for a few days when that's substantially warmer than many parts of the country...today it was 40 when I woe up - preposterous!

Anyway my first half marathon is 8 days away. My training did not go according to plan (bronchitis followed by a wicked head cold took nearly a month away from me over the last 2 months) so I have primarily been listening to my legs and adjusting from there. I'm going to head out shortly for a last tapered down long run, somewhere between 6-8 miles, probably closer to 6. I debated running 12-14 today to get some confidence for my race, but was talked off that ledge by an old friend who assured me that would do more harm than good. A slow 6 miles is just what I need.

5K - 29:29 10K - 1:07:52 13.1 - 2:28:36

DentingPavement.com

Docket_Rocket

That is normal for trail races (and runs).  They will not postpone it just because the trail is like that.  Great job, nonetheless.

Well I am back.

That race absolutely sucked.  If people are more worried about whether or not they are going to fall than if they are going to get a PR, then the race needs postponed.

They did NOT treat the trail at all.  Actually, I take that back.  They treated the part of the trail that is directly behind the YMCA (so everyone that was warming up on that saw that and thought Oh it's not bad at all!), however, that was literally the last 1/2 mile of the race.  We started out front and got onto the trail from another area and it was literally a sheet of ice for 2+miles.  I did shorten my steps, but even that didn't help and I slipped several times.  This seriously was my worst nightmare coming true and why I hate running in the winter.  After the first couple of slips, it truly deflated me. I tried to run on the snow as much as possible instead of tip toeing on the mini icebergs.

Anyway, I finished in 44:43 and took 3rd AG.  My step daughter took 3rd overall female so I at least had a bright spot in the day.

I uploaded my garmin onto my log for a good laugh.  *sigh*

Good news is the hammy feels OK.....bad news is my right knee is aching.  Not sure if it is just from running in the snow, having had to shorten my stride or from one of the several slips and attempts not to fall or not.  After I run DD to her friends in a little bit, I am going to have a good soak in an epsom salt bath and go from there.

Anyway.....I will be back later and sorry for my rant!  I am just sooooooo mad.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yikes Jen....sorry!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Jen, 3rd in AG, that's awesome! Sounds like some very rough conditions, but you handled them well.

I am very pissed!!! I just broke a tooth while eating lunch. The tooth also had a filling, so I'm sure it will soon be a big ass hole and getting painful. Just freaking great!!

From the Internet.

Jen - That's frustrating, but not much you can do about it. Great job considering how bad the conditions were!

Mitch - Ooh that sucks! Hope you can get it fixed up quickly!

Ugh. Deadlift PR the day of a massive snowstorm was a bad idea. Shoveled out my car and my body haaaates me now.

hog4life

Jen - That's frustrating, but not much you can do about it. Great job considering how bad the conditions were!

Mitch - Ooh that sucks! Hope you can get it fixed up quickly!

Ugh. Deadlift PR the day of a massive snowstorm was a bad idea. Shoveled out my car and my body haaaates me now.

I wish it was a quick fix, finances won't let it though.

You can lift more weight than me, I'm a whimp when it comes to lifting Smile

Zelanie

Jen, I am glad that you got through the race safely!  That sounds like an accomplishment!  Time just does not tell the whole story there.

Jerry- Hope that your run goes well, wherever you decide to run it!

Jeffro- Welcome!  Glad you finally clicked the link.  I think it makes sense to take it easy this week, no matter what happened during the rest of training.  Better to go into the race well rested and ready to give it your best!

Mitch- Sorry about the tooth!  I have broken a molar with a filling in it before, and expected major pain, but it turned out that it didn't hurt at all because it didn't break down into the root.  I'm really hoping that yours turns out to be the same way.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Found a new trail, 5k cross country trail not far from the house.  Ran 10.2 miles there today, it was still pretty soggy from all the rain we had yesterday, but it was fun getting a lil muddy.  The mud and terrain will definitely slow ya down a lil.

My oldest got accepted into Ferrum College today, very excited about that!  He's waiting to hear back from a couple of others, but Ferrum is kind of his first choice, since he has some friends already there, and another friend going there from his class.

Hope everyone up north is doing ok with all the snow.  No time for personals, have to get cleaned up, hit the store and then get back so we can go out to dinner to celebrate. Smile

Have a great day everyone!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

My older DD ran a 5:4I mile this morning. Now I am at a swim meet with DW and younger DD. My Newtons are waiting for me at home and older dd texted me a picture.  If I knew how to work this dumb phone I would post it.  i am anxious to try them.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, y'all have been busy!

This morning I did the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo 4-Miler.  It was a lot of fun!  So much fun I guess I got carried away, I took more than 80 photos for this one!  Here is the link to the report and photos. The report is on the main page of this forum somewhere.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/699a4dcff8ef4f70b01882bce80319ef#focus

Tomorrow morning I am doing the Be My Valentine 5K on the San Antonio Riverwalk

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Zelanie, oh I hope you are right, and maybe that's what mine is like. I can see the side of the filling, and the piece of tooth did not go into the gym line. Fingers crossed, at least for a week. Going to get taxes done first of next week, so I should have some extra cash soon.

Today was supposed to be a 10 mile LR, but with the crappy week I've had, I cut it short at 5. My legs actually didn't feel too bad, and things were kinda feeling more normal, so I didn't want to push. I was able to speed up some and still felt okay. I think this whole week was just a needed cutback, especially with all the stairs and rope work I done that I explained a couple days ago. I still ended the week with a little over 18 miles, so maybe all is not a loss.

Mitch

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry about the tooth and crappy week Mitch Sad

Home workout was fun. Did an hour and 20 minute Wii Zumba "class", ITB rehab stuff (foam rolling, stretching, a mix of myrtl exercises and strength running exercises) core exercises on the stability ball, and arm exercises with 5lb weights.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Awood - you don't even look like a large, much less an XL.  congratulations on the weight loss.  Have fun racing tomorrow.

NBug - Hope the cruise is fun.  Enjoy the sunshine.

Damaris - even for Florida, you've had a warm winter.

Jen - sorry your race was so icy. Slipping on ice can do some damage, so ice and motrin are a good idea now.  Congratulations on the AG award though.

Bin - enjoy the New Years celebrations.

J3ffro - smart to stick to the taper.  Running 13 at this point would only get you in trouble.

Mitch - Ouch!  I hope you can wait to see a dentist until you have the funds.  After the hard work of your training, it's no wonder you're sore and tired.  Good idea to take it easy.

Jerry - I hope you managed to get outside and do a few miles.

D2 - it's always fun to find a new trail, and it must have been a nice one if you did it three times!

Kirstin - hope you had fun with the videos.  Watching the news I was amazed, as always, at all the folks running in the snow.  Today looked better than the ones who were out last night while it was falling.

AFM:  Beautiful day, cold but sunny.  My husband and I took the dog for a short hike on the AT.  There was a little snow/ice and I fell hard once, but mostly it was a nice walk.  What surprised me most was meeting a young couple staying at a shelter with their 10 week old puppy.  She said it was her first ever backpacking trip.  Since it's supposed to get down to 16 in town tonight, and they didn't have great gear, I think they will not be happy campers.