Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Trading Cards Wednesday (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning...

I ran 1 and did a run walk for 2 100/100 last night.

Something at the gym tonight.

hog4life

I've been very sore from the half last weekend, but hope to get out this evening for a few to see if things loosen up. My chiggers are itching like crazy, lol.

I put up a separate thread about my big surprise,  I am officially an ambassador for Ainsley's Angels. I'll be looking for rider athletes, runners, and guardians to help spread the meassage of inclusion for the special needs community.

A very special shout out goes to Robert and Angie for introducing me to TJ. If it wasn't for this wonderful family,  this would not have happened.

Hi ya Scotty and Pad.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 6 with 2 at MP tonight.  In Court all morning and hoping my headache goes away soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Hump Day!  April 8th is Trading Cards for Grown-Ups Day!

Image result for penguin trading cards

Other Holidays Today:

National Dog-Fighting Awareness Day

Draw A Bird Day

International Roma Day - a day to celebrate Romani culture.  The Romani (also spelled Romany), or Roma, are an ethnicity of Indian origin, living mostly in Europe and the Americas.  Widely known as 'gypsies'

Gypsy Penguin:  Falkland Islands

Buddah Day (historical birth date)

Image result for penguins buddha

Food:  National Empanada Day - a stuffed bread or pastry baked or fried; traditionally made in many countries in Latin Europe and Latin America

Filipino empanada            

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Warm run/walk after work yesterday on the San Antonio Riverwalk.   Sunny, 85 degrees - felt a little warmer down there, with all that sun reflecting off the cement - and a nice breeze blowing helping make it feel pretty good.  Ended up with 4.1 miles.  Also took my new camera with me, experimenting with taking some photos, which I will post later tonite.   Small world too...while on my Riverwalk run I ran into another retired veteran, an Army guy and a runner, who was visiting here from Alabama...and he was friends there with a good friend of mine in the Army, they are both stationed at the same place, so we both had a nice laugh about that.  He's going back tomorrow and will tell Susan he met Scottydog and give her a big hello from me.

Today, a planned 3 - 4 miles somewhere, have not decided where yet.  The trouble with San Antonio running is that I have too many good running places to choose from!  Some problem, huh?    Today there is a bit more overcast than yesterday, but still warm in the 80s....and I'm lovin' it!     Poor Gail went to the orthopedic doc yesterday for her 'sprained' foot and it appears it might be more than a strain...might have a stress fracture on the top of her foot...the doc put her in a boot yesterday, which she is not happy about....but she's still doing her yoga with it on.

Happy gym night, PAD!

Hope things loosen up for you, Mitch, and good luck with Ainsley's Angels.

Hope court does not make your headache worse, Damaris.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, what a lot of holidays today.  Smile  I love empananadas!  Maybe I'll stop by the Mexican market today to see if they have any.  I'm sorry to hear about Gail's foot. Sad

PAD, nice running.

Damaris, I hope you have a headache-free run tonight.

Mitch, your news is exciting; I'll go check out your other thread!

I have not had internet for 5 days since our move...nor have I run.    We finally got the cable installed yesterday afternoon, so here I am...and I am heading out for a run in a few minutes.  I have to get back into a routine even though everything is still in disarray.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  I met my RP for the first of her Hanson's strength workouts last night.  Ended up with almost 12 in the rain (actually, now that I think about it, it was metric day and we probably ran exactly 20K).  She had 6 x 1 mile a touch faster than her marathon pace.  I think we ran em all a bit faster than planned, but the last one was the fastest one, and we were still chatting through it, so perfect!

Tonight I have 8.5ish.

PAD- That's awesome that you are running again!  We were talking marathons, since she is training for her first, and I used you as an example of first marathons done right. Smile

Mitch- I bet that you are going to meet some wonderful people in that program!

D- Hope getting out of the office improves the headache.

Scotty- Morning!  You always have the most interesting runs!

Brilliant- Hopefully it's starting to feel a bit more like home.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  After my dentist appointment yesterday, I skipped driving in to work for my late lecture.  Hopefully nobody cares (which is quite likely).  I had a lovely walk and then a chillin' evening with DH.  We watched Good Will Hunting, which he'd never seen.  Unfortunately now my brain is absolutely convinced that today is Monday.

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 3 (is that right)!  Are you recovered yet?

hog -- chiggers are the WORST!!  And woo-hoo for your ambassadorship!!

Docket -- hope your head feels better!!

scotty -- my brother- and sister-in-law are big into Pokemon league.  They got into it because their son was interested, enough so to win Washington State championship in his age group (and Oregon too, I think), place in Nationals, and go to Worlds.  He even got a college scholarship!  So now he's at college and they run leagues and judge Nationals.

Brilliant -- glad you got the internet back!!  And welcome back to running!!

Zelanie -- Sounds like a great run with your RP!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I got in 3.3 miles this morning on my loop around the island.

Mitch, a great big box of moss is in the mail for y'all  .  You are going to do an awesome job as an AA Ambassador!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Brilliant

4 done. Smile

I hope this isn't a dumb question for Robert or Mitch.  If I want to send TJ a medal, do I have to send him *my* medal?  Because I really want to keep it. Big grin  But I know the RD and thought I'd ask him for an extra.  The winners' medals are nice, with a spinner in them.

Robert31320

Team TJ

First, I appreciate you thinking of him.  I know several folks have got additional medals from the RDs for this.

4 done. Smile

I hope this isn't a dumb question for Robert or Mitch.  If I want to send TJ a medal, do I have to send him *my* medal?  Because I really want to keep it. Big grin  But I know the RD and thought I'd ask him for an extra.  The winners' medals are nice, with a spinner in them.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Brilliant

First, I appreciate you thinking of him.  I know several folks have got additional medals from the RDs for this.

OK, I'll ask the RD!

hog4life

Brilliant, I have done both. Most do the RD have extra medals.

Robert,  mmm, no thanks, haha. I told you them bugs love me!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi y'all.

One me more day for me up here before I head on home. I ran four easy miles this morning and it was so cold my ears hurt. I think it was 32 degrees so that was cold for me.

See ya.