Beginners and Beyond

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon RR (some pics on last page) (Read 102 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

After a stressful drive and getting to the hotel, I was hoping and praying for a great race. We are on a floor with a bunch of youth group kids, no sleep at all as they ran up and down the hallways from midnight to 4 or 5 in the morning, and Dorian waking up as neither of us are used to no fan in our room and the pillows suck. But, strangely enough I felt awake when my alarm went off and I took a shower just because and it helped me get my hair up. I tried to eat a cliff bar, but I couldn't scarf it down and I probably drank too much water before the start (big mistake). At 7:30 we headed down to the start, I was nervous but hopeful an ready. Temperature was 43 degrees with a feels like 39 degrees, 6 mph W winds and humidity of 87%. I was starving.

I had no idea what corral to go into, they only had pacers for the full marathon so I just guessed and went in with the 3:30 pacer, figuring I was not going to get stuck behind slower people. I had already decided I was going to go out a lot faster than usual, afraid I'd probably have to stop somewhere around mile 11 to use the bathroom or have my knees and hips act up so I was going to make up for it now and suffer later.

We were off, and I had to pee..... really bad..... I hated the fact that I had kept drinking until 7:30 and I had to stop just after mile 1, probably peed half a gallon of water. Along with the assumption I would be stopping again for the bathroom, I already figured I wasn't going to get a sub 2 hour, but somehow I couldn't slow down. I was being passed by quite a few people, a lot were passing me and most were the marathoners. I just tried to steady my pace.

I kept my eyes off my garmin except when it would signal a new mile, then I would glance at it. It was .1 off from the race course, as usual, and I was under a 9 min/mile pace..... I was going to pay for this. After mile 3 I was still going, just chugging along. 

Mile 1 - 8:32

Mile 2 - 9:06

Mile 3 - 8:42

I took a sip of gatorade around mile 5, surprisingly didn't choke on it (I am getting better). I was still pushing along, still feeling good at the pace I was going with no plan of slowing down as long as I could. My legs were feeling good, there were spectators EVERYWHERE, I don't think St. Louis even had this many out along the course.

Mile 4 - 8:54

Mile 5 - 8:38

Mile 6 - 8:40

My 10k time was 55:49 so I was feeling pretty good, I was staying pretty close on target time though I was really hoping I had been doing a lot better in case I had to slow down at some point. I think just before mile 7 was the split from the marathoners, I was pretty much half way done and still going strong. I was surprised that my pace was still under a 9 min/mile pace, and still figuring that I would pay for it sooner or later. I think I had a gu thingy and some gatorade around mile 8 or 9, I wanted water to chase down the stuff but I had already passed it so oh well.

Mile 7 - 8:40

Mile 8 - 8:47

Mile 9 - 8:59

Mile 10 - 8:43

Amazingly, I was still going..... no pain or any issues and I didn't have to stop at a port-a-potty. We saw the monument thing and I felt hope that I would finish good, didn't care if I only had a few second under 2 hours only as long as I got under 2 hours. I think at this point the marathoners met back up with us, but I can't really remember. I passed some pancake house and thought "hey, after the race we can go there and eat". Strangely I was under a 9 min/mile pace, which was amazing to me.

I told myself I could hold this just a little longer, I told myself only half an hour more (or less) and I would be done. Around mile 12, I thought I'd have to hit a port-a-potty....... none were on the course anymore but luckily it was a false alarm. Just after mile 12, my right knee started hurting, I had to shorten my stride just a bit but this was a good thing.... normally it has been both knees and around mile 10 an then my hips would start to hurt. So things are improving, but I didn't speed up, I had about a half mile left but wasn't sure where the finish was...... I was looking for the giant blown up thing we ran through at the start, no wonder I couldn't see the finish. I was begging my body to give me just a little more, for my birthday (tomorrow)

Mile 11 - 8:44

Mile 12 - 8:44

Mile 13 - 8:55

.1 -      - 7:43

When I saw the finish line, I felt a new surge of energy, not much but it was something and I took advantage of it. I've always wondered why so many throw their hands up at the finish, I guess part of me still figured it was an elite thing... until this time. I felt I deserved it and I finally understood why runners and walkers finishing so much slower than the elite throw their arms up at the finish. I didn't care what my garmin or the clock said, I knew I had finished under 2 hours, I stopped my garmin and wanted to puke. I wanted to fall over and die, but I kept moving along and hoping I don't die. I got the medal, and I truly felt I had given it my all and all I could give..... I had earned that medal, I actually stopped and let them take a picture of me and my medal.

My sane and "not wanting any disappointments" goal was 2:05:00, my "insane, against most odds" goal was 1:58:59.

My garmin had said: 1:55:57

Chip time: 1:56:38 

Average pace: 8:55 min/mile

Overall: 1758

Division: 131/632

I had kicked ass, and the race had kicked my ass in return. I can proudly say I am a sub 2 hour half marathoner now, I surpassed my goal and can happily look forward to new goals next year. I shall have photos once they are up Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

obiebyke

Absolutely incredible race! Congrats!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

outoftheblue

Under 2 hours with a bathroom stop!   You rocked it out there today, congrats!

Life is good.

Awesome! Awesome!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

That is some fine work!  Nice pacing, too.  Congrats on beating your goal and expectations!

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Way to run through the knee pain and great pace!

RabbitChaser

Great job! Congrats on running a strong race and surpassing all your goals! Thanks for sharing the RR.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks all, with the bathroom break I am surprised too. Smile I am very satisfied.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

YOU ROCKED IT!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

I got the text at your 10k time and the finish, along with the others I couldn't remove, haha, and I was very happy for you when I seen your finish time. Congratulations!

LRB

We were off, and I had to pee..... really bad..... I hated the fact that I had kept drinking until 7:30 and I had to stop just after mile 1, probably peed half a gallon of water.

No, you peed a half gallon of pee.  Joking

There is a sub-1:50 in your future, stay steady.

Antipodean

Great job, congratulations! Next job is to get down to 1:50! Keep on keeping on and you'll do it!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Really nice splits, pretty consistent which reflects your better training.

Next time get a better hotel.

Hip Redux

What is with kids running up and down the hall of hotels?  We had that when we stayed at a (nice!!) hotel in SF.

Congrats on the sub-2!  A great race and glad it looks like the weather turned out to be ok!

Love the Half

It's always nice breaking those round numbers.  Congrats.  And nice splits.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).