Beginners and Beyond

It's A World Penguin Weekend! We can't just have one day. (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

World Penguin Day!

PADRunner

I've got the last of my 3 week run of 5ks this morning. Get Fit Run for Shelter 5K.

Today's goal, even pacing or at least negative splits. Got to stop going out to fast. Maybe I'll walk the first mile.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Today is my first really long run all alone D: 15 miles after soccer is over. Clothing poll: going to be ~45 when I start and ~52-53 when I finish - shorts and a light long sleeve sound reasonable? Or my lighter tights?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jack, I'm so happy about your mom's results yesterday.

PAD, good luck on your even split goal...are you trying for a PR, too?  Didn't you barely miss one last week?

Brilliant - Keep the vision of your new kitchen -- from the dust the phoenix riseth.

Kathleen - haha, I am going to keep this in mind.  There's so much dust now; I feel like I'm wearing, breathing, eating, and drinking it.

Ginny, yes, my family and I have started a list of all the restaurants where we'll dine or get take-out during the construction.  Taco Tuesday, here we come! And there's a great Mexican grocery store that has a $13 meal deal every week that will feed all 4 of us adults generously.   Oh, and Costco food court is 8 minutes away - where else can you dine for $1.50 pp? Wink

So Ginny, do you have a rest day or shake-out run scheduled for today?

Lauren, I'd wear the light tights if it's not getting above the 50s.  Just to keep the chill off your legs.  I don't think it will heat you up too much, do you?

Yesterday I was going to take a rest day.  I've been waking up every morning feeling a little creaky.  I feel better after moving around a while.  I don't know if this is because I've been trying to increase my miles (gradually), or just middle-age running catching up with me!   In any event, I felt good yesterday afternoon and with a cool cloudy day I decided to get 5 easy miles in.  It felt fantastic.  Of course this morning I woke up all creaky again. But I'm headed out shortly for my LR - 12 miles or so.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ran 6.50 today.  It is hot and humid, 88F feels like at 8am.  Bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Brill - this is one of the few days per year I wish I owned capris! It's sunny out and I'm planning to run at least a few miles of my long run at MP and maybe a couple at HMP toward the end if I'm feeling good, so I think I actually might heat up too much in tights. Cloudy or rainy and I'd go with tights for sure.

Zelanie

Lauren- Do you have any calf sleeves or knee socks?  I would go with those plus shorts if possible.

Good luck today, PAD!

Good luck tomorrow, Ginny!

Scotty- Have a great racing weekend!

I have 7 one day and 15 the other.  Still trying to decide which is which.

PADRunner

PAD, good luck on your even split goal...are you trying for a PR, too?  Didn't you barely miss one last week?

Last weeks was a PR but barely missed sub 30. Today's was a hilly course so I didn't plan on PR just wanted to try to come out slower on the first mile and  I did. 9:47 There were 2 big down hills in the second mile where I hit 5:22. for 9:11. That took to much out of me and the 3rd mile was 10:24 and .1 8:12 for 30:53 chip.

I've got another sub 30 attempt in 2 weeks. Sly has been drafted to pace me and another runner in our group to our first sub 30.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Wound up taking an URD yesterday because DH wound up working until 11pm and I wasn't motivated enough to run without him.  Got the 5 with him done just now.  Tomorrow I'm running a 4 mile race in central park with DH and a friend.  I'll probably run a mile warm-up and then maybe run back from the race.  DH is supposed to do 9 miles in total tomorrow and that should just about get him there.  Maybe if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do 11.2 total which would get me a beer week in the 2015 mileage game.  To be determined though depending on my laziness and how hard I race the 4 miler.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Zel - I have calf sleeves but don't really like running in them. Long sleeve and shorts turned out to be perfect, warm enough for the shorts but the breeze off the lake made me glad I had sleeves!

That was a hell of a long run. 3 miles easy, 3 at MP, 3+ on trails, 3 more MP, easy the rest of the way home. Almost ate dirt on the trail, caught a rock with my left toe but ended up catching myself by taking an extra big step with my right leg. KNEES UP, dammit!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 miles at the track.  At least the rain kept the walkers away.  Rainy, lazy Saturday.

Nice try on the <30:00 PAD.  You can do it in 2 weeks.

Good luck, Ginny.

GinnyinPA

PAD - given the hills, you did well at the 5k.  Is your next one flatter?

Lauren - nice run.  I've done the trail tripping dance a few times too.  I have only fallen once on the trail so far.

Brilliant - for me, waking up creaky is normal.  Fortunately, by the time we walk Ben, most of the stiffness is gone, and the walk usually takes care of the rest.

Damaris - have you given any more serious thought about moving?  Time to find someplace cooler.

Z - so which one did you do today?  I hope both runs go well for you.

sapf - have fun at tomorrow's race/long run.  I've never run a 4 miler.  Do you do it at 5k pace?

Jerry - good job getting out in the rain.

AFM:  After walking Ben, I did two miles on the TM, then we drove over to Gettysburg to pick up my bib.  There was supposed to be an expo, but there was only one person there trying to sell his running books, besides the race folks with t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc.  Too bad as there was supposed to be a running store represented and I was hoping to pick up some extra gels.  This race is going to clean me out. We stopped on the way home for a very filling Italian lunch/dinner.   I'm very excited about tomorrow.

From the Internet.

Holy crackers. We were heading out the door to go to a party earlier this afternoon when I happened to notice a little bit of white smoke coming from behind our house - we own a patch of woods that abuts a wildlife preserve, trails are nowhere near our property so no one should ever be stomping around back there. Turns out some kid started a fire on the other side of our ridge and was trying to stomp it out, my husband pulled out the hose and got a bucket and tried to keep it under control while I called 911. Police showed up to question the kid, fire department doused the whole area with foam, kid is not going to be charged with anything but will have to attend a fire safety program. Crazy business! We didn't go to the party, drinking beer at home now. Hope he learned his lesson about setting fires in fucking dry detritus in the woods and stays the hell off my property!

Holy cow, Lauren! That's too much excitement! Glad all is safe.

Jack - whew!

Ginny - Good luck tomorrow. You've really put the training in for this.

Sapf - Good luck on your 4 miler tomorrow. I've got a 4M race tomorrow too.

Trying to figure out what to where. Calling for clouds ~50 but real feel low 40's. Really cold or hot  - no problem. It's the in between that confuses me. I think I'll go with the lightweight long-sleeve shirt and capris. Actually pretty pumped about this race. It's a downhill route in KC through old neighborhoods and ends up in the posh, Country Club Plaza. Just found DH will go with so I don't have to rely on the race busses.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - good luck tomorrow.  How's the cold.

Lauren - scary!  I'm glad the fire was put out quickly and the kids caught.