Beginners and Beyond

how many weeks out should I choose my HM goal pace? (Read 41 times)

music_girl117

Hey everyone,

I am signed up for a half marathon that's on April 12.  I have about a 5 or 6 minute finishing time window in mind, but at this point I do not know where within that range I should aim.  There is a 5k here on Feb. 14 (8 weeks out from the HM) that I might run; maybe I could use the results from that as an indicator?  Or maybe a time trial-type workout at some other point in my schedule?

For what it's worth, I am doing a 5 mile race on Jan. 1, but I think that will still be a little early to tell me much.  I am also planning on a 10k that's 3 weeks out from the half as a tuneup.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

PADRunner

Mine is in 6 days and I just decided today.. Still subject to conditions.

Docket_Rocket

I would use the paces from the 5 miler until you run the 5K.  The 5 mile comparable paces will give you an idea of where you are at that point in time and then the 5K will let you know where you are then.  You shouldn't pick a goal that is not based on current fitness so I think both will give you a great idea of what paces to train at.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

While I have a general idea what pace I can probably run, I don't choose a goal pace until I see what my first mile split is in the race. Since I race by perceived effort, I see what pace the effort gives me, then try to maintain that pace until I'm ready to push to the finish.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

While I have a general idea what pace I can probably run, I don't choose a goal pace until I see what my first mile split is in the race. Since I race by perceived effort, I see what pace the effort gives me, then try to maintain that pace until I'm ready to push to the finish.

Hell thats my biggest issue right now.

I feel badass and in control for my first mile or several, it isn't until late in the race that I realize I Fd up or I'm ok.

PAD,

At least you get to run the entire time!  I get to hang out until my #4 relay partner comes in and then run like a bat outta hell.

I picked up anchor leg for the Marathon.  woop!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hell thats my biggest issue right now.

I feel badass and in control for my first mile or several, it isn't until late in the race that I realize I Fd up or I'm ok.

At the Broad Street 10M Run in 2001, we had near ideal racing weather a year after unbearable heat and lack of water. I checked my mile split and came close to panicking. I was 20 seconds ahead of what I expected. I decided to trust my instincts which said I was coasting and should be able to hold that pace. I ended up running negative splits and finished 4 minutes faster than I had expected.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

PADRunner

PAD,

At least you get to run the entire time!  I get to hang out until my #4 relay partner comes in and then run like a bat outta hell.

I picked up anchor leg for the Marathon.  woop!

You can keep an umbrella and maybe hang with Meb & Ryan. They'll probably be on the anchor.

MothAudio

I start flirting with goal pace in week 1 [this assumes you know what your goal pace is]. 20:00 continuous around goal pace and by week 7 I'm doing 70 minutes [3x5k] @ goal pace. Three weeks out I'm locked in but as George said, that's the plan. Once the race begins you may have to improvise and deal with what the day brings.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile