Beginners and Beyond

Any other runners with fibromyalgia or similar conditions? Newly diagnosed and looking for advice. (Read 105 times)

runTDC

I really don't know much about fibromyalgia, but I think some of the symptoms are similar.  I have always run, even before I was formally diagnosed.  I've built up endurance for a long time.  I've learned to listen to my body.  Fatigue will stop me from running before any numbness.  I've run while not fully feeling my legs before.  i've also run with half my body vibrating.  It's a very strange feeling.  It just means I have to really pay attention.

Exercise cannot cause an M.S. relapse, but can make it temporarily worse.  I think I am really good at paying attention to what is "just a little tired" and needing a break.  I have learned by trial and error.  I know I am lucky, but I also think I'm smart about it and make my own luck.

I hope it helps....Good luck.  Start slow.  Work up to it.  Pay attention to how you feel the next day.  Don't be afraid to adjust.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

I really don't know much about fibromyalgia, but I think some of the symptoms are similar.  I have always run, even before I was formally diagnosed.  I've built up endurance for a long time.  I've learned to listen to my body.  Fatigue will stop me from running before any numbness.  I've run while not fully feeling my legs before.  i've also run with half my body vibrating.  It's a very strange feeling.  It just means I have to really pay attention.

Exercise cannot cause an M.S. relapse, but can make it temporarily worse.  I think I am really good at paying attention to what is "just a little tired" and needing a break.  I have learned by trial and error.  I know I am lucky, but I also think I'm smart about it and make my own luck.

I hope it helps....Good luck.  Start slow.  Work up to it.  Pay attention to how you feel the next day.  Don't be afraid to adjust.

This is really helpful!  Thanks!

The problem with fibro is that while exercise is an essential part of the treatment plan, doing too much physical activity at once can cause a flare and result in one to several painful days in bed.   I'm starting extremely slowly with walking every other day, planning to build from there.

Relentless forward progress

Buelligan

At the age of 53, having not partook since I was 19 prior to me entering the US Army to serve my country, what is your definition of "pothead"?

I am a supporter of the legalization of MMJ and a caregiver for those with serious ailments....not "potheads".

I didn't mean to infer your wife was a pothead.  I did mean to infer that no one I know who uses marijuana regularly has fibromyalgia and the two people I do know that have it have never smoked pot.

I support the legalization of marijuana for any kind of use, be it medical or strictly recreational.

Little Blue

I can provide a tiny bit of anecdotal info.  We have a friend who was diagnosed several years ago, after months of symptoms similar to yours.  He was immediately told to cease caffeine, alcohol (specifically wine, he can drink spirits and beer), and chocolate.  That first Christmas was pretty bad!  I don't think he limits any food.

He used to be very active, but through trial and error has found the activity level that won't put him in bed for days.  One thing that he does is to take a 'nap' every day around noon for 15-20 minutes.  He doesn't need to sleep, but he needs to totally stop and let his body relax, no matter what he's been doing.

Good luck with learning to manage it.  I've seen him struggle, and come to a compromise with his body.

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Thanks for the info and well wishes Little Blue.

Relentless forward progress