Beginners and Beyond

Woman crawls 400m to finish 3rd in Austin Marathon (Read 74 times)

So she came in third, but they gave her 2nd place prize money. Would they have done that if she finished in 3rd place on her feet? How does collapsing & crawling to the finish make it better?

Dave

LRB

"You ran the bravest race and crawled the bravest crawl I have ever seen in my life," Conley (the race director) said to Ngetich on Sunday night.

Oh yeah? Well I once crawled an entire year of my life.

Docket_Rocket

So she came in third, but they gave her 2nd place prize money. Would they have done that if she finished in 3rd place on her feet? How does collapsing & crawling to the finish make it better?

I thought the same.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Wow!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I didn't realize they gave her 2nd place $ as they didn't tell that part in the news just that she finished 3rd. I always think finishes like this are inspirational but not worth cutting someone's prize $. I wonder if she would have done it if she was looking at 10th place. When this happens at Boston, they are all over the local news but they have always been out of the $ (at least the ones I saw).

delicate flower

Must have been hell on her knees.

<3

LRB

Must have been hell on her knees.

That was some kind of lead she had to crawl essentially a lap around a track and get caught by only one person.

As long as the actual 2nd place woman got the right amount, I think it is a nice gesture on the RDs part.

The website seems unclear, but it looks like runners had to register as part of the elite field to be eligible for the prize money.  (A previous sub 2:30 men, or 2:55 women.)  With only 5 men finishing sub 2:40, and only 5 women at sub 3:10, that strikes me as odd.  Joe or Jane Schmoe could have easily been bumped into 3rd place with just a few circumstances and would be looking at "great job, but you weren't l33t enough to actually get this $1,000."??

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Reminds me of this......

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM

Anybody else here old enough to remember?  

I just can't imagine that kind of exhaustion.  I've been pretty friggin' exhausted before but I'm too wuss to get that close to collapsing!  

Randy

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Reminds me of this......

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM

Anybody else here old enough to remember?  

I just can't imagine that kind of exhaustion.  I've been pretty friggin' exhausted before but I'm too wuss to get that close to collapsing!  

Only two years later, we watched this on national TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hjm29CmMfg

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

Only two years later, we watched this on national TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hjm29CmMfg

I don't remember that, but I searched on Wiki.  It isn't obvious to me, but I guess she finished?  I couldn't see anything that looks like a finish line, but I guess they grabbed her after she crossed?  Wow.  I simply cannot imagine having the physical and mental forrtitude to do any of these.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't remember that, but I searched on Wiki.  It isn't obvious to me, but I guess she finished?  I couldn't see anything that looks like a finish line, but I guess they grabbed her after she crossed?  Wow.  I simply cannot imagine having the physical and mental forrtitude to do any of these.

Gabriella Andersen-Schiess   Yes, she finished, recovered fully, and was a top masters runner later as well. Of course that race, the first Women's Olympic Marathon, was better known for Joan Benoit Samuelson winning. BTW it took her 5:44 to finish that last lap. She finished 37th in 2:48:42.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.