Beginners and Beyond

Rules Change for Extreme Race After Runner Disappears (Read 228 times)

Love the Half

I had never heard of this race until I read this article.  This is one race I am confident I will never, ever do.

Rules Change

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Come on LTH.  Let's go, stand at the base of the mountain and drink beer while they struggle up and down the mountain.  We'll be the real winners.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like fun.

Seriously, wow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

There was a great RW article about this guy and his disappearance - really crazy shit.  He basically just vanished off the face of the planet - nothing of him was ever found.

Here's the link.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yeah, i read that article.  Crazy, and very sad for his family and friends.  Where the heck did this guy go? 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Gray Runner

Running Bear

Most of Alaska is bear country.  And we tend to resemble cheeseburgers to bears.  Sooooo.....

Upcoming races:  
              Mt. Cheaha 50K 2/22
              Georgia Death race 100K 3/15-16
              Sweetwater 50K 4/12
              Cruel Jewel 100 5/16-17
              Make It By Midnight FM 7/XX
              H9 50 mile 8/9
              Georgia Jewel 100 9/27
              Pacing at Pinhoti 100 11/XX
              Dunkin Ridge Trail 50K 11/XX
              Lookout Mtn 50 mile 12/20

#artbydmcbride

They usually spit out the shoes tho.....I say sinkhole.

Runners run

LRB

Here's the link.

Did you actually read of all that?

YAYpril - B-Plus

I read the whole story that Oski linked, in my copy of RW. I grew up in Alaska so it was really interesting to me. But yeah, tons of bears. I have a great picture of a baby black bear I took on our last visit there to see my parents. He was just hanging out on the side of the road.

SheCan

That race looks amazing!  It sounds like they're doing their best to keep it from happening again, but sometimes you just have to accept that life can be dangerous.  His just disappearing like that with some many people around though, is pretty curious.

"Race organizers are not to blame for LeMaitre's disappearance, Clock said.

"Look at us as a society. When something goes wrong, we want to blame somebody," she said. "It's how we cope."

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hip Redux

Did you actually read of all that?

Yes.

Want to hear how geeky I am?   The DH and I go out to breakfast on the weekend and read our running and biking mags.     Some people read the NY Times with coffee....  we read Trail Runner.  lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That isn't geeky! Trail Runner and Dirty Mag are awesome to read, and a lot better than NY Times in my opinion, they inspire me to make an excuse to change up my running plans to get out on trails

Yes.

Want to hear how geeky I am?   The DH and I go out to breakfast on the weekend and read our running and biking mags.     Some people read the NY Times with coffee....  we read Trail Runner.  lol

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bluerun

Super B****

I remember reading about this race a few months back... never, ever want to do something like that.  But IIRC, didn't they have to sign a waiver back then too??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Right now I really wish I could go back into the past to a happier time, 10 minutes ago, before I ever heard of the term "cadaver dog".

Dave

LRB

Want to hear how geeky I am?  

We all have our favorite things to read or do, that's not geeky at all.  My attention span is simply too short to get through something like that.