Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Alamo Beer 8K and 16K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2048%20Scallywompus%208K%20and%2016K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 48th race of 2016 and my 2nd of a 3-race weekend.   The Scallywompus series of races aka "Alamo Beer Challenge" races [http://www.scallywompus.com ] prepares runners and walkers to finish the  San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon/Half Marathon.  The event I participated in included a 16K and an 8K.   There was also a kids run.  Held at Lady Bird Johnson Park in San Antonio, with the 16K runners and walkers and the 8K walkers starting at 5:20 pm.   We 8K runners started at 5:55 pm.   I live pretty close to the park so was able to relax a bit at home after my morning 5K and arrived at the park around 4:30 pm...and on with the pre-start photo show....

Me with my inspirational friend, Michelle

photo 003_zpslwctfkts.jpg

With friend Karen

photo 005_zpsnbiwtx93.jpg

With friend Tony G

photo 018_zpshp8cqily.jpg

Various participants, vendors, volunteers, etc

photo 001_zps4wdnid1x.jpg

photo 002_zpsp49vx3wh.jpg

photo 007_zpsh0zzsucw.jpg

photo 008_zpsw9qytbzo.jpg

photo 010_zps5vqlvtym.jpg

photo 011_zpshuktf1wr.jpg

My favorite participant 

photo 012_zpssyunjywv.jpg

photo 013_zpsyzvw0cbb.jpg

photo 014_zpsag41ao8y.jpg

photo 015_zpsedrrs4yc.jpg

photo 016_zpsnrorsg8x.jpg

photo 017_zpsnvydhy9p.jpg

photo 019_zps53avniqw.jpg

photo 020_zpsqy4wtxur.jpg

photo 021_zpsguhgiclf.jpg

This guy is wearing the race shirt participants got

photo 022_zpsfqgpkyf3.jpg

photo 023_zpsr5hzwvmn.jpg

photo 024_zpsgsyi0byq.jpg

photo 025_zps3ilxaztt.jpg

National Anthem before the 16K folks and 8K walkers got started

photo 026_zpsdhjigavl.jpg

photo 027_zpsddskf1zn.jpg

photo 028_zpskylzkvtf.jpg

photo 029_zps2lan2srv.jpg

Our MC

photo 030_zpsdzuvmk3q.jpg

photo 031_zps8cmehm02.jpg

photo 032_zpsv7yzwa38.jpg

photo 033_zpsumi2tez0.jpg

photo 034_zpslnc0mv7z.jpg

photo 035_zps3nktf6oj.jpg

The inimitable and great and all-around nice guy Eugene, founder/owner of Alamo Beer/Brewery.  He has a lot of fans.

photo 036_zpsiwhfqxaz.jpg

photo 037_zps9l05psei.jpg

photo 038_zpsbyacofpf.jpg

photo 039_zpsh0kmutus.jpg

The 'beautiful people" at the Freetail Brewery tent advertising their upcoming race for funding segways for disabled vets (yes, I am signed up).  These two are also pretty darn incredible runners in their own right.

photo 040_zpsithy7obb.jpg

photo 041_zpsutrr2rit.jpg

photo 042_zpsafgtebfx.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Paved trails at the park.  Dang, this race was BAD.  Not bad overall - Scallwompus always puts on quality events - just bad for me personally.  Rain had come pouring down earlier, then stopped - it was nice and dry for the whole event and the after-party - but with storms threatening in the area, the humidity was just about a whopping 100%, dew-point was high, and the air was very still, not a breath of wind.   I did okay with my run/walk until about just before Mile 3 and after that, the humidity quite simply got me, along with my stupid spinal arthritis back having a few spasms - I probably did not really hydrate enough for this one.  So I ended up walking Mile 3 to Mile 4, and then did a pretty slow shuffle for the last mile.  I noticed on the way a LOT of folks were walking more, so I think the heat/humidity was affecting quite a few of us.

photo 043_zpsg2jjhlvi.jpg

photo 044_zpsppaedsdn.jpg

photo 045_zpslcvpgyil.jpg

photo 046_zpshndwtfb6.jpg

photo 047_zpssj58zzwv.jpg

photo 048_zpssgq8ocop.jpg

photo 049_zpsszckyvt5.jpg

photo 050_zpsxmbywc8h.jpg

My friend Karen already heading to the 8K Walker finish as I am heading to the 8K turn around point

photo 051_zpsekcmdn06.jpg

And starting to encounter some of the speedier 16K runners as they head to the finish

photo 052_zps4l06ld2j.jpg

Well, one thing about having to walk a bit...I might have missed these 'spectators' along the way if I'd been running.

photo 053_zpsqgoo5zpu.jpg

photo 054_zps4iccciwb.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

My worst 8K time ever IN 33 years of running.  I finished at  an hour and 14 minutes, and after I did finish, I spent a lot of time stretching out and drinking a whole lot of water and gatorade, which made me feel better.   Even with my crappy time I still got 3rd in my age group, so I guess there must not have been that many in my age group, lol.  After I got myself 're-oriented" and hydrated, I went to Alamo Brewer to get a cold one, but   by the time I got finished, there was a long line of folks at the Alamo Beer tent and although they had quite a supply, they are a very popular brewery with we runners and ran out of product by the time I got in line.  Hey, you can only bring so much beer to an event, and I had no heartburn with it.  No worries though, Freetail Brewery, another great local brewery, was also there advertising an upcoming race they were sponsoring, so they kindly provided me with a cold one.  And to give Alamo Beer credit, they actually directed me over to the Freetail tent.  So, got my cold one, feeling much better, and I wandered around taking photos of some of the award winners and the people enjoying the after-party.

photo 055_zpsfy14wqdo.jpg

A little fuzzy, sorry ladies..but your loveliness still comes through.... 

photo 056_zpsxgwcpgvj.jpg

photo 058_zpso3h0bffk.jpg

photo 059_zpsvrlgpnur.jpg

photo 060_zpsrblnmmzv.jpg

photo 061_zpsyav1r04x.jpg

photo 062_zpsq1loqiqi.jpg

Wait..Tony did not have his 16K finisher medal on...

photo 063_zpsmxzjtadh.jpg

photo 064_zpst8pgx4fr.jpg

3rd place in my age group

photo 065_zpsjkuohty9.jpg

And got my brewski...

photo 068_zpsbciv8cxm.jpg

photo 066_zpsskg9artk.jpg

photo 067_zpstpmyuo6l.jpg

photo 069_zps6k4hpfh3.jpg

photo 070_zpstxdxtfyr.jpg

photo 071_zpsgup3m6iw.jpg

photo 073_zps2zeiuxe6.jpg

photo 075_zpszone03c7.jpg

photo 076_zpsytpntlge.jpg

photo 077_zps2invril2.jpg

EPILOGUE

Although I cannot run distance anymore (stupid arthritis!) - I do the Scallywompus races that I can because Bart Childers and his crew of great folks always put on a great  race; really nice quality tech-tee race shirts, good courses, and one heck of an after-party with food and drink; and very unique awards for the runners that placed.   Scallywompus races are definitely on my race calendar year after year.  If you are a runner and ever in the San Antonio area, do some of these, you will not regret it.  MUCHO THANKS to all the folks that made this one happen for us:  volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, vendors, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

High humidity is brutal & the longer you are out there, the worse it gets. What is your AG award? Is it a mason jar?

GinnyinPA

I'm sorry you struggled, but you did finish despite the heat, humidity, and pain. I'm glad you got a beer after all that.