Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, do you know where your Penguins are? (Read 325 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Totally vegged yesterday with a migraine. Tonight I workout my vocal chords with some karaoke!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Totally vegged yesterday with a migraine. Tonight I workout my vocal chords with some karaoke!

From migraine to karaoke.  It's usually the other way around.  Enjoy.

AFM - Last nights run went well, but for the second day in a row Nike+ crashed.  Oh well.  I got up early enough to run this morning.  I just wanted to have the option.  It's 27 degrees, and it will be 36 at 5 o'clock tonight.  I think I'll wait.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Gustav, Karaoke is ok.. but not dancing gangnam style..

Awood, Sorry abt the nike+ crashing.. hope you get some run in.

AFM, 6M w/2M @ 9:00 which is my HM goal pace.. Looking to have a heavy shower at my place soon..

For accountability to all my colony mate. HM goals!

1. 130min (will have a nice 13min PR)

2. 120min

3. Anything below 110min is my SS goal..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ended up cutting my workout last night and stopped running at 4.50 miles.  Oh, well.  At least I did my MP miles.

In the last week, I"ve also gained 9lbs.  I figure is one of the new medications I am taking.  Having said that, it's going to be hard carrying an extra 10lbs on Sunday!

6 miles tonight.

Have a nice day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen2011

Good morning!  

Gustav, hope the migraine subsides before the karaoke begins!

awood, sorry about the Nike+ crashing.  At least you got a good run in!  I agree about the early morning temperatures.  It's 26 and dark here, so I'm going to stick with the dreadmill after work.

Bin, great run, and exciting goals for your half.  I hope it goes well for you!

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Damaris, sorry about the extra pounds!  That would drive me crazy!  Good for you for not letting it slow you down.  Have a great run tonight!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Gustav, I love your thread titles.  Sorry about the migraine yesterday.

Awood, I’m glad your run went well last night, what is up with Nike +, and I would wait too.

Bin, I like the stating your goals to help for accountability thing.

Damaris, oh no about the weight loss.  I hate when meds get changed, especially right before a race.  Good luck.

Jen, good morning!

Good morning colonist! Today will be SRD for me.  My 3.1 miles went well yesterday though. Have a nice Wednesday people. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Liz, I just saw your post from yesterday.  I have to get ready for work but I'll chat with you tonight or tomorrow since I have class tonight about MCM and how I'm thinking about training for it.  I'm so excited to do that one...

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - If my memory of your recent race results serves me correctly, I don't think 120 minutes will be a problem for you.  Have you run anything through McMillan?  It might be good to know your pace before you leave the starting line.

Docket - Lucky for you, you're a "Bad Ass"! 

Jen - I think for future morning runs, I might head to the gym and use the dreadmill.  Dreadmill beats early morning cold.  After work cold doesn't seem to bother me.  I think its the, OMG I JUST CLIMBED OUT OF A WARM COMFY BED AND IT'S FREEZING, effect.

Steph - Enjoy your rest day.  Yoga?  Nike+ had an update recently, and I really like a lot of what they changed.  The first day it crashed it suddenly started letting me know that I had gone 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13........miles at a pace of 1 mile per 10 seconds.  I looked at the GPS map and I had "according to Nike+" crossed a state line, and was headed toward Detroit at a pace much faster than my car could travel.  In all fairness, my phone's battery just died last night.  I'm hoping tonight that Nike+ behaves because I love the new format.  If I continue to have problems, then Nike+ may have gone the way of RWOL for the time being.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Hump Day Penguins!!!  Looks like a good day for a long run after work.  

Have a great day!!!  Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning! Kind of a SRD for me today/kind of a URD.....it was supposed to be a run day but based on my run yesterday I decided my body needed rest more.

Gustav- sorry about the migraine Sad karaoke sounds fun though! I love karaoke. What songs/songs will you sing? My go-to karaoke songs are always Will Smith-Miami, Third Eye Blind- Semicharmed Life, and Bad Touch....can't think of the artist of that right now. epending on who I go with, friends and I will also sometimes do a group rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody. HAVE FUN!! And yeah, be careful with Gangham style we don't want a repeat

Awood- Sorry about the Nike+. That's really funy that it thought you were headed at superhuman speed to Detroit. I use Nike+ too, but on my ipod nano with a sensor in my shoe. I'm not a huge fan of it though. I find I have to constantly recalibrate the distance, and the instant pace is so wonky. I will be keeping a very steady 11:30mm pace and one second it will say "15:13" and next second it will say "9:13"

Bin- You have some very speedy goals! You're going to do great! When is it again?

Damaris- Have a good run! Maybe with all the running you do those pounds won't stick around?

Jen- "enjoy" the dreadmill.

Steph- Enjoy your rest!!

Enjoy your day Penguins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jerry you snuck in, have a good run after work! Will DW join? I love that you 2 run together!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Gustav - thanks for starting us off!  What songs do you like to karaoke?  Personally, I do a mean Can't Touch This.  Yes, yes I do. 

Awood - bummer about the Nike+ crashing!  Is a Garmin on your Christmas list or are you (usually) happy with Nike?  Good luck tonight - that's chilly!

Bin - I'm so excited for Sunday for you! Can't wait to hear how it goes.  You are so speedy, your goals to me are amazing.

Damaris - I so know how you feel but have no medication to blame it on.  I had a friend staying here for a few weeks after she lost use of her house from Hurricane Sandy and literally all she did all day was bake.  For me.  I can feel every extra pound but I'm back on the straight and narrow and bumping up my miles so it will hopefully come off quickly.  Do you know which med it is?  Might be worth mentioning to your doctor.

Jen - 26 and dark is so uninviting.  Good luck on the TM tonight!  Any distance/time goals today?

Steph - enjoy the rest day!  Glad your 5k felt good yesterday!  I really can't wait to hear your plan, whenever you have time.  You're a few steps ahead of me in the training realm (well, more than just a few) so you inspire me!!   And once I hear your plan, maybe I"ll change my goals a little....lol! 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Howdy Jerry!

Kristin - My fiance was using the iPod version, and I had her download the Adroid app because of the GPS.  Hers isn't having issues.  I'm starting to wonder if I don't need to do a clean install.  I've had a lot of updates, and sometimes apps just start getting wonky.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost