Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, do you know where your Penguins are? (Read 325 times)

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

AFM:   I just did my first sort of tempo run!  I am experimenting with getting up early to get miles in on the TM and it's working but I definitely crash at the end of the day!

This morning I can't be late for work so only had time for 3 miles so I did one at 11:30 (easy) one at 9:15  and the third at 10mm.  The 9:15 felt great and wasn't that hard but after a half mile I was definitely tense and worried that my ab was going to pull.  It's amazing how much fear I now have of reinjuring myself, I had no idea that would become a mental battle.  Anyway, the ab felt fine (I had to convince myself that I was fine) and the 9:15 was not excessively hard which was a cool discovery.  I'm going to add a faster mile to all of my runs except my long run and see if I can start building up some 'speed' again.  Speed for me is most people's easy pace, lol!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - thanks for starting us off!  What songs do you like to karaoke?  Personally, I do a mean Can't Touch This.  Yes, yes I do. 

Awood - bummer about the Nike+ crashing!  Is a Garmin on your Christmas list or are you (usually) happy with Nike?  Good luck tonight - that's chilly!

Bin - I'm so excited for Sunday for you! Can't wait to hear how it goes.  You are so speedy, your goals to me are amazing.

Damaris - I so know how you feel but have no medication to blame it on.  I had a friend staying here for a few weeks after she lost use of her house from Hurricane Sandy and literally all she did all day was bake.  For me.  I can feel every extra pound but I'm back on the straight and narrow and bumping up my miles so it will hopefully come off quickly.  Do you know which med it is?  Might be worth mentioning to your doctor.

Jen - 26 and dark is so uninviting.  Good luck on the TM tonight!  Any distance/time goals today?

Steph - enjoy the rest day!  Glad your 5k felt good yesterday!  I really can't wait to hear your plan, whenever you have time.  You're a few steps ahead of me in the training realm (well, more than just a few) so you inspire me!!   And once I hear your plan, maybe I"ll change my goals a little....lol! 

I'm usually happy with Nike +, but if you're offering.....

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jen2011

Jen - I think for future morning runs, I might head to the gym and use the dreadmill.  Dreadmill beats early morning cold.  After work cold doesn't seem to bother me.  I think its the, OMG I JUST CLIMBED OUT OF A WARM COMFY BED AND IT'S FREEZING, effect.

I totally agree!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

I'm usually happy with Nike +, but if you're offering.....

lol!  That would make the the BEST INTERNET STRANGER FRIEND EVER!

Jen2011

Jen - 26 and dark is so uninviting.  Good luck on the TM tonight!  Any distance/time goals today?

I've just got a 30 minute easy run on the schedule today, so it shouldn't be too awful.  I don't know how some of you can do such long runs on the TM.   Even with the TV on or music, it drives me crazy.  But, given that winter has just started, I will probably need to just get over it!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Good morning friends. It looks like the penguins are rockin and Rollin early this am. I knocked out 4 this am. Super easy pace. I'll check in later for personals. Make today a great day Tomas.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Doc - I think you'll get used to the early mornings.  Making gradual changes out of fear of injuries actually sounds reasonable.  The phrase, "too much, too fast" comes up a lot around here.  The book I'm reading is very big on set time frames before making additional increases in distance or intensity, and building a base on JUST easy running before adding quality workouts.  He constantly refers to Phase I training, and how it is geared toward base building and injury prevention.  In other words, you have a healthy fear. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jen2011

Steph, enjoy the RD.  Glad the 3.1 went well yesterday!

Jerry, hope the LR after work is great!

Kristin, good for you for listening to your body and taking that RD today!  Hopefully it will make your next run even better!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

T-Rod - Okay...last personal.  Gotta work.  Good job on the 4.  I wish I had my running done already today, but yeah...it's going to have to wait until after work.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry you snuck in, have a good run after work! Will DW join? I love that you 2 run together!

Yes Kristin.  We always run together.  I'm on a short leash.

thanks for start Gustavo.  Hope the migraine gets better.

Tweaky63

I AM running!!!

Good Morning!

I’m a newbie that escaped the land of the lurkers yesterday to join the fun! Shy

My goal is 30 MPW by the end of the year. After that I’ll look for a plan (with your help : ) to train for my next HM in June.  All of my miles are done penguin style and I’ll hold off on any speed stuff until next year.

AFM: This week my goal is 22 MPW running 5 days a week. I ran 5 miles yesterday and will run another 5 today.

Have a wonderful day everybody!

Brenda

The mircle isn't that I finished. The mircle is that I had the courage to start.

~ John Bingham

Jen2011

AFM:   I just did my first sort of tempo run!  I am experimenting with getting up early to get miles in on the TM and it's working but I definitely crash at the end of the day!

This morning I can't be late for work so only had time for 3 miles so I did one at 11:30 (easy) one at 9:15  and the third at 10mm.  The 9:15 felt great and wasn't that hard but after a half mile I was definitely tense and worried that my ab was going to pull.  It's amazing how much fear I now have of reinjuring myself, I had no idea that would become a mental battle.  Anyway, the ab felt fine (I had to convince myself that I was fine) and the 9:15 was not excessively hard which was a cool discovery.  I'm going to add a faster mile to all of my runs except my long run and see if I can start building up some 'speed' again.  Speed for me is most people's easy pace, lol!

Congrats on the "sort of" tempo run, Liz!  

I am having the same problem, worrying about reinjury, especially with my half less than two weeks away.  I think it's fine and I'm just being paranoid, but I'm a worrier about everything, so this is no big surprise. 

Jen

Upcoming races:

Jen2011

Tomas, hope you have a great day!  Great job on the easy 4 this morning!

Welcom Brenda!  Great job on the 5 yesterday...hope today's goes just as well!

No more personals for me either for now.  Gotta head to work!  Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Philliefan33

Wow, a busy group this morning!

From the looks of it, a lot of us are trying to make adjustments for the onset of winter.  Pick your poison -- run in the cold or the drudgery of the treadmill?

We got about 4" of snow yesterday that will probably melt today  / freeeze tonight, so I am prepared to hit the treadmill after work.  (I fell on black ice walking in my neighborhood a couple of years ago, so I'm a little skittish about running when there's a likelyhood of ice.)  Only four miles planned, I think I can keep myself entertained for the 40-45 minutes.

Docket_Rocket

Bin - If my memory of your recent race results serves me correctly, I don't think 120 minutes will be a problem for you.  Have you run anything through McMillan?  It might be good to know your pace before you leave the starting line.

Docket - Lucky for you, you're a "Bad Ass"! 

Jen - I think for future morning runs, I might head to the gym and use the dreadmill.  Dreadmill beats early morning cold.  After work cold doesn't seem to bother me.  I think its the, OMG I JUST CLIMBED OUT OF A WARM COMFY BED AND IT'S FREEZING, effect.

Steph - Enjoy your rest day.  Yoga?  Nike+ had an update recently, and I really like a lot of what they changed.  The first day it crashed it suddenly started letting me know that I had gone 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13........miles at a pace of 1 mile per 10 seconds.  I looked at the GPS map and I had "according to Nike+" crossed a state line, and was headed toward Detroit at a pace much faster than my car could travel.  In all fairness, my phone's battery just died last night.  I'm hoping tonight that Nike+ behaves because I love the new format.  If I continue to have problems, then Nike+ may have gone the way of RWOL for the time being.

That's a rumor, anyway, elitist!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page