Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, do you know where your Penguins are? (Read 325 times)

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Dave - 11+ miles on your regular route?  That's great!  Can't wait till your redemption 5k.

Zeke - good luck with the run - are you asthmatic?

Zel - you are spot on - I struggle with the fact that maybe I'm loafing too much but historically my easy pace picks up on its own without me forcing it so I'm waiting for that to happen.  I think my half was a turning point for that - I was running faster and it was easy so it was a wake up call.  Good luck on the TM later with the 5!  I am pathologically cold, all the time.  In 70's I will still have a fleece on so I feel your pain!

Hope's mom - have fun with the tai chi!  Hope you come back nicely centered. Smile

Jack - nice run!!  It cracks me up that what is easy for you is a balls out sprint for me.  Ah well, you give me something to aspire towards.  So glad the ITB feels okay while running, I wonder if it is sore when you're not running because it's cold/not stretched?  That would be good because then you know it's okay to push forward a bit.   Hope the hills on the 5k are fine on your leg.  Please wear some argyle knee socks like Steph does - that would be awesome. 

Mitch - I love the UA coldgear but am also looking for some slightly thicker tights!

snickers - have fun with the intervals

Lauren - enjoy your weights day - I feel you on the weather!

Back on the road...

SheCan

Even for the Penguins I must be really slow.  I thought I'd be able to keep up better in thread, but boy howdy there's so many people who post---- which is good.  It just leave me a little dizzy.  

Welcome Tweaky and Zeke.  Dtothe2nd that's an awesome milestone!

Today was just an easy 3 & 1/2 recovery run.  I think I might have pulled/twisted my knee just a bit during yesterdays trail run, so I wanted to be really careful.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Liz, do you have an Academy store near you? Their brand is BCG, $20 bucks for tights. I can't see paying $80-100, at least not yet.
        N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I found it!  LOL  Gotta get used to the new look...

4.5 on the dreadmill.  Tomorrow SRD and Friday I may venture out for an outside run.  We'll see.  The trails I normally run are now dedicated cross county ski.   I won't be on those until spring.  However, they plow the local Civic Center trail (.97 mile loop) or the sun tends to keep up with the local rail trail snow until late December/January.  We'll see.

Not sure what everyone's favorite post-run fuel is but I stumbled across something.  I don't know what to call it except Ugly Cake-Bread etc.  I had some overripe bananas, gluten free flour, and butterscotch chips just SCREAMIN' to be used up.    I hope it is ok to share the recipe...

1 cup gluten free flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 ripe bananas

1/3 cup unsweetened crunchy peanut butter

1 tlbs cocoa 

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

1 large egg

1 tlbs olive oil

1/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup butterscotch chips

Dry ingredients in one bowl.  Mash up bananas and then mix in wet ingredients in another.  Add the wet into the dry, don't over mix.  Have a 9x5 (non-stick sprayed) loaf pan ready.  Pour it in.  Bake at 350 for about 45 min or until toothpick comes out dry.

OH MAN.  I usually make a vegan/gluten free version of this with "chocolate" chips which is friggen awesome as well.  However, I was out of egg replacer, any chocolate chips ( vegan or otherwise), and no vegan sour cream.  I made two loaves and took one to work which didn't make it an hour.

I need to get ready for work - LATER!

From the Internet.

Ohhh I'm totally going to make me some Ugly Cake-Bread this weekend! My bananas need a couple more days before they're ready to bake with.

tracilynn

Big grin

Hello penguins

I have been reading everyone's updates but havent posted.  My ITB got ticked off again on Tgiving day so I havent run since then! So 6 days off for me.  Gonna try 3 or 4 super slow miles in a few.  I ordered a strap even though my doc says straps are the devil.  Will prob wear it only on long runs which is what seems to tick off my IT.  Im still rolling and doing my hip myrtyls/core exercises.  

Good to see everyone here, most everyone I think.  I like this new site and dont miss RW at all.  

Happy wednesday

Welcome to the group I AM RUNNING !  This is a great group

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So everyone is over here now?  Wow, what the heck has been happening while I've been on vacation for the last week?

Anyway, back from Wenatchee Washington.  Did the Turkey Trot up there.  Here is the link to my report and all the photos, plus some 'bonus" photos of some running I did in the local area, they are a bit under the report in some "replies" I did to my own report. 

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckpostid=&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A13fca76a-d171-492d-967a-2aaff9d625fa&plckforumid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477&plckforumpostshowfirstunread=&plckforumpostonpage=1

Guess I will start placing my future reports and photos over here if it is easier for everyone. 

Glad to be back with my Penguin Family.  I missed you, Colony!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Scotty dog. - what race are you doing Saturday ? I may join you. I will be in SA this Friday for football. We play at Dub Farris out on 1604 if you are interested.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, we missed you!!  While you were cruising through the wilds of Washington, RWOL got hit with SpamGate2012.  No, that's not right, first they upgraded the forums and ticked everybody off with the formatting.  Then the spammers took over.  I think stealth_rnr leaped first, came over here, and then started inviting folks over.  Long story short, about 300 of RWOL people invaded the forums here.  There have been minor dustups of people freaking out, but it's beginning to settle in.  RWOL is still screwed up, and people here are a little less freaked out about us, and there is some mingling going on.  So you will have more great legs to ogle!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and I'm back from tai chi, feeling pretty good.  It makes my knee twinge, but the twinge usually goes away quickly.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Scotty!! Glad you found us! I think the colony has fully migrated now, no?

Singer who runs a smidge

Was that Vance who posted up above?  I couldn't tell from the new name.  Other than that, I think so.  I'll keep posting a Penguins thread through Friday, to keep scooping up the stragglers ... assuming I can ... as "that other place" is completely screwed up just now.

trenruns

Hello Penguins,

My leg isn't bothering me too much today (yay!) so I hope to do another run tomorrow.  I did the hip openers yoga last night (I'm going to be in awe of Steph for forever for showing me the yoga videos) and I think that really helped keep everything happy.  I hope to get some more yoga in tonight and see if that helps me for the run tomorrow.  Still trying to get used to the new format of the forums..I thought I was better at change than this!

trenruns

Oh, I knew I had another question.  Is there a way to go straight to the last unread post on these forums, or is that a feature you have to pay for?  Thanks.

trenruns

Oh, I knew I had another question.  Is there a way to go straight to the last unread post on these forums, or is that a feature you have to pay for?  Thanks.