Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, do you know where your Penguins are? (Read 325 times)

Docket_Rocket

Read everything but hell no, I'm not doing 100 shoutouts!

Scott is in the house!  Penguins are complete.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, I knew I had another question.  Is there a way to go straight to the last unread post on these forums, or is that a feature you have to pay for?  Thanks.

There is not a way, whether you pay or not.  I must've read 10 posts from Eric welcoming us here, posted in 10 different threads, but I think one of them mentioned that this is not currently possible, though he's thinking about it for later.  IIRC.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Snickers1230

Hey Scotty!  Good to see you!  And glad that you had a good trip to Washington!

Well, I ended up only doing 2.2 miles at lunch with no intervals.  As soon as I started, I knew it was just one of those days.  So I just pushed to do at least 2 miles.  Anything less and I would have felt like it was a waste of changing Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Philliefan33

Hi Scotty {{wave}}.  Did I miss Vance?

Off to my dreadmill run.

Rest day for me since its my birthday!! Cake is in my future! And then a run tomorrow to burn the cake calories off!!! Hope everyone's day was awesome!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy Birthday, Kristi!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Thanks hope mom!!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Hey, everyone! Did my fastest 5 (i think) this morning at 41 min, so ave 8:11 min miles. Needed it.

Jen2011

Welcome back Scotty!  Glad you are here!

phillieFan, you're right...I haven't seen Vance over here yet.

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

hog4life

Hey, everyone! Did my fastest 5 (i think) this morning at 41 min, so ave 8:11 min miles. Needed it.

Schweeeeeeeet !!!!!!
                      JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice, easy 6.7 miles (w/DW) at 10:05 pace.  Goldilocks day, didn't even sweat.  New route took us through the "high brackets" and picked out some houses with the powerball money.   I'll have to read all the penguin posts later after my nap.

Awood, yes I’ll be doing yoga.  I honestly think I do yoga almost every day if not every day.  It’s funny to think that I used to hate it. LOL running 10 second miles and crossing state lines!   I hope it works correctly for you tonight.

Liz, omg you just made my day or maybe my week.  I’m having such a rough week at work where I feel like the education system has let down all of my students and that I’m just can’t do anything right by any of my kiddos.  Of course none of it is true.  As for running this week has been rough due to my stupid cold, my cousin qualified for Western States (I am super happy for him), and I feel like I’m still such a noob.  I can’t believe that anyone would be inspired by me so thank you! You honestly made me a little teary eyed.

This is going to be my second half marathon and I’m trying for it different than I did for my first. Since I had 24 weeks to plan for it I started by building up my weekly miles to 40 mpw.  Those miles have been mostly easy miles but with some fast finishes.  I only run 3 long runs a month since one week of every month is a cut back week for me where I don’t run anything longer than 8 or 10 miles and ALL miles are easy. 

Once I’m up to 40 mpw for a couple of weeks I’m going to stay at that mileage until 2 weeks before my half (except for my cutback weeks some cutback weeks might only be a very small cut back in miles and really just all easy running).  There will still only be 3 long runs a month with 1 being at each of the following distances, 11, 13, and 15 miles.  I will also have 1 middle distance run which will be between 7-9 miles and will be slightly faster than my long run.  I’ll have a speed work day where I do different intervals each week and will do 5-7 miles (those miles will include my warm up and cool down miles because I usually run the 1.8 miles to and from a nearby track).  Then I’m going to have one day where I do hill work.  Maybe just run a hilly route or do hill repeats.  My other two runs will be easy runs and will divide up my remaining mileage to get me to 40 mpw.  Some weeks I’ll do some hill sprints during one of my easy runs and change my “hill work” run to a threshold run. 

I just finished reading “Run Faster: From the 5k to Marathon” by Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald and I really liked it.  While I will not be following one of his plans since the 3 HM plans just aren’t perfect fits I like a lot of his workouts.  There was so much good information in there about how to make a schedule and what type of things you should be focusing on.  He also talks about having a flexible schedule because some days your body just doesn’t have a hard run in it or sometimes on an easy day your body feels fresh so why not be able to swap workouts sometimes.  Now the big question will be to see if I made a plan worthy of helping me get to my goal and if my body can handle getting me to my goal.  Before being sick I was doing my long runs at a 10:30-10:40 pace and while my pace was dropping quickly I’m not sure if I’ll be able to hit a 9:10 pace for my half in March but I sure hope so. I did my 10k in October at a 9:45 pace and it didn’t feel hard so I’m hoping it is do able.  If not I’ll found out and readjust my goal.

Oh I feel like I should also add that after the HM in March I’m keeping my miles up round 40 mpw because I have a 25k trail race in May.  May will be a busy month for me so in June I’m only running a 10k and will not have many hard workouts just mostly easy runs because July 7th I start marathon training. 

Phillie, I didn’t realize that you haven’t run a half marathon before.

Mitch, they do have a couple of shorter races that are throughout the year.  I think it will be a good first marathon.

Jack, yay to the fun socks!!

Hi to everyone else! I’m sorry but I do not have time to do personals to everyone every day.  I will however try to do personals to different people each day. Oh, and today Hey Doc's personal counts as a personal to a couple of people or at least I think it should, lol. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Bin Running

Awood, putting in my 10K I got 1:48HM while putting in my 10miles race, I get 2:00. So I am going to err on the safe side.. There is some hills at the last 5K..

Here's the map.. Is this elevation bad cos I don't really had much hill training.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/142795043

Hope'sMom, I asked abt restarting.. Just curious.. It's good to do a reset sometimes..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning!

I’m a newbie that escaped the land of the lurkers yesterday to join the fun! Shy

My goal is 30 MPW by the end of the year. After that I’ll look for a plan (with your help : ) to train for my next HM in June.  All of my miles are done penguin style and I’ll hold off on any speed stuff until next year.

AFM: This week my goal is 22 MPW running 5 days a week. I ran 5 miles yesterday and will run another 5 today.

Have a wonderful day everybody!

Brenda

Hi Brenda  Smile  !!!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning to all penguins and I am glad I found the new home. I had just started posting on RWOL and everyone left!  Hoping to get 4 miles in this morning IF I can figure out my breathing problems.  Have a great day all.

Hi Zeke.  Good timing!!!