Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins.....what'd I miss?? (Read 31 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning!!!! I have been MIA for awhile!!

The last month has been very "meh".... my immune system staged a total revolt and caught EVERYTHING going around. I had 2 different stomach viruses and a head cold turned laryngitis all in the past few weeks. I was able to run in between times I felt shitty, but there were several days I couldn't do much but lay on my bathroom floor and pray for death. As a result I had 3 low mileage weeks in a row. But this past week I finally got back to a normal running schedule and managed a 19 mile week, my most since my injury. I have a 5K on Saturday. I mayyyyy try to PR but I will decide as I'm running. Lol. Hope all is well with you guys.....sorry I disappeared for awhile Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Kristin and Pengs.  Glad you are feeling better.  Maybe I missed some posts, but how is your cousin's wife?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD, maybe a bike ride.

Kristin!!!  Glad to have you back.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday after work I did 3.4 miles of paved roads and groomed trails in Brackenridge Park, a very popular San Antonio city park that is adjacent to the San Antonio Zoo.  Beautiful weather, 70 degrees, sunny, light wind, low humdity/dewpoint.   Part of the park roads and trails go along the river, so that was nice and scenic...green lawns full of picnickers by the river, ducks and geese in the water and diamond-like sun-flecks sparkling off the water, and also as I ran I enjoyed my local ' oldies classic rock' station which plays a set of 106 minutes non-stop music every day starting at 4:30 pm.  Perfect, since I get off work at 4 p.m. and am usually out there by 4:30 p.m.    Very nice run/walk.

((((Kristin)....sorry you went through all THAT!  Glad you are feeling better!  Good luck with your upcoming 5K.  I would suggest not to push it after all you've been through, just run easy with this first 'comeback' one and have fun with it, build back up for a while to your speedy self and then chase the PRs after you are back at full-strength.   I race in SparkleSkirts   The long socks are pretty "hawt" too...

Happy bike ride if you go, Damaris!  Congrats on your hot-weather run last night.  Welcome back to running outside in hot Miami!  Stay hydrated!

How are YOU doing, Jerry?  Did you get your ortho appointment scheduled?  I sure hope you don't have to have surgery.

I'm 'kind of' in the Miles Game.  I see I went from Team Hillkillers to "Team Available."  I'm hoping to get onto Team Happy Feet so I can 'chase' the Great Legs of my buddy, SheCan.    And I see another Great Legs lady I know from way back is on there too..TWHgal. Woo-hoo! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

How clear does chest congestion have to be before you return to running?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Kristin: welcome back!

If the rain stops, I will get in a six mile tempo run later tonight.  Man, DW is really good at predicting rain.

PADRunner

Morning all. Glad your back & feeling better Kristin.

3 last night and gym tonight.

From the Internet.

Morning everyone! 2.75 recovery miles today, 3.3 with a few pickups yesterday, both on the treadmill - yesterday was cold and today we're having snow showers and ridiculous wind (it unzipped my coat on the way to work, WTF wind). Pickups yesterday were 2x1 minute and 1 each of 2 and 3 minutes, with 1 minute recovery between them - almost like intervals again! Can't wait until I can do actual workouts and races.

I decided to skip the 15k I'd been thinking about doing this weekend - I'd rather save the gas money and registration fee for something I'll actually be able to race, and just run with my usual group on Saturday. They'll be doing 10 this week, I'm going to stick to 8 or 9 for now since I'm not actively training for anything and I've had 3 weeks of long run increases in a row.

One of my long run buddies has planted the idea in my head of running Phillie 2015 for my debut marathon - long way off, so that's plenty of time to make sure I'll be adequately prepared before I even think about registering and all that. I didn't think I'd necessarily ever want to do a marathon, but I suppose most people start off that way, haha Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!! We got snow yesterday, and when I started out for work, it was sticking on the roads and my wiper blades iced up, so I turned around and went back home!! We ended up with about four inches, though a good bit of it melted yesterday afternoon, so today's commute was no problem. Luckily after being freezing cold today, we're supposed to warm up a bit for a week or so. My roll recovery thingy came in, and I started using it on my calves. @#$#@, I have some knots in my calves!! I didn't work my quads or hamstrings because I was too busy cussing. But it's also turning out to be an upper body workout, since you can ease the pressure applied to your legs by pulling on it with your hands. So my calves are feeling abused but better, and my arms and shoulders feel like I've been attempting pull-ups. It's a bit early to tell, but I think it's going to turn out to be a helpful device. And all in all, my knee is feeling a good bit better, so maybe when things warm up again I can re-try running (again). Quartet rehearsal tonight!! Four more until contest!!

kristin -- sounds like a rough time, I'm glad you're feeling better!!

Jerryb -- good morning!!

Docket -- have a good maybe bike ride!!

scotty -- sounds like a good run!! You didn't fall in the lake this time?

Awood -- try a run. If you hack up a lung, it was too soon!!

Jack -- DH washed both of our cars a couple of weeks ago, and we got snow!

PAD -- have a good time at the gym!!

Lauren -- I am really ready for spring, aren't you?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Hi all. RD for today although I wanted to run some early on the morning. Seem like mojo is still missing. 100M behind goal. Need to buck up!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Kristin - sorry you've been so sick.  Are you still running your HM in Hawaii next month?

Damaris - enjoy your bike ride later.

Scotty - your oldies station is much better than ours.  I listen to it when doing exercises downstairs and the constant interruptions for commercials reminds me of why I stopped listening to the radio.  But I like hearing the old familiar songs.  I should probably just bring my 'puter downstairs and listen to Pandora, but even they have commercials.

Jack - I'm glad you're getting rain, even if it is interrupting your running.  As I said, you need to wash your cars more often, at least until you're caught up.

PAD - have fun at the gym tonight.

Lauren - good job on the intervals.  Sorry about the race this weekend, but I do understand waiting until you feel like you're ready.

HM - I'm glad the roller seems to have helped your knee and calves.  Have fun at rehearsal tonight.

Bin - you must have had a very lofty goal, to be 100 miles behind already!  Life happens though.  Enjoy your rest day. You can always chase the pace bunny tomorrow.

AFM:  rest day.  It's cold and windy (25 feels like 12) so I'm not sorry to be missing a run.  Walking the dog is hard enough.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My cousin's wife is ok. She moved into acute rehab for several weeks. The weekend after she moved in I went to visit her with my parents, and that is where I got my first stomach virus (her, my cousin, her family and my family all got sick the next day) and I've had a strong of illnesses ever since so haven't been back. She now just moved into sub-acute rehab, which allows her to leave the facility to go on outings with family. My cousin has brought her to their house for a few hour. She doesn't remember it Sad it is a new house for them in the last 6 months. She is doing well with the baby when the baby visits but still struggles with memory and executive functioning that would make it impossible for her to care for the baby independently right now, but baby steps. Thanks for asking.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny- I'm still running the half in Hawaii. Very excited Smile not expecting anything too great just to finish and have fun.

Zelanie

Morning!  I have one of the "biggie" track workouts from my plan tonight- 4 x 1600 at 1 sec/lap slower than goal 10K pace.  It should be a doozy!  But a huge boost if I can pull it off.  And a couple of weeks ago, the 5 x 1200s went really well.  So I should be all set, right?

kristin- Glad to see you back! Smile  You missed Bin's 10K PR.  He just barely posted a whisper about it, though.  Glad your cousin's wife continues to improve.

Jerry- Morning!

D- Hiya!

Scotty- That's weird that you were on a team and now you're not.  I don't think I've seen that happen before.  Hope you get it sorted out!  You can come to team 4midable with me!

Awood- Ugh!  I don't know the answer, but hope you feel better soon.

Jack- Run in the rain!  Channel your inner northwesterner!

PAD- How are the legs feeling?

Lauren- Glad to hear that things are going so well!  Do you have any races planned for later this year?

HsM- Glad the roller is working so well for you!  Plus an added upper body workout, nice!   I can't remember how much you've been walking lately, but hope that you are able to build up a good walking base before jumping back into running.  I think that helped me a lot when I was getting started.  Good luck at rehearsal!

Bin-

Ginny- Hope that you get some spring weather soon!