Beginners and Beyond

How many times did/would you run the same race ? (Read 156 times)

Will run for scenery.

Just a chatty thread to prove we're not boring.....

Some of the races I've been to have intense, almost cult-like followings.  At Pike's Peak or Imogene Pass, it's not at all unusual to chat with someone who has done it 10 or 15 times.  These are both gorgeous, one-of-a-kind events, but I think I'd go batty doing them that often.  Or maybe not......

How's about you guys and gals ?  Have you gone back to a favorite local or destination race ?  Are you tempted to repeat any race a bunch of times ?  Do you run in to people who do ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

RSX

I have done the Falmouth 7 mile Road Race 11 times as a runner/volunteer. 10,000+do it every year. I helped line up the first corrals which were a blast, and we took off with the 2nd wave for "free" plus a cool volunteer shirt. They changed RDs, and my group dropped but I would have done that race for years more.

Boston I have done 5 times and will go back.

I do a relay in NH with my club every year. It has 8 legs and I'm doing the missing one this year. I have done it 10 times, so repeated some.

Antipodean

There are not that many races in my area that suit me. I kind of figure once I know them it's more attractive to do it again than go to an unknown race. I can't really travel far due to family committments. I have done some local races 3 or 4 times and will keep doing them.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had some favorite races I try to run every year. One local 5K (approx.) I've run 17 of the 18 years it's been held, missing one year due to injury. Several others I've run 10-15 times, perhaps more as I haven't kept tabs on that. Reasons vary from being convenient to having personal ties with the RD and volunteers. There are also two that were in that category that I now refuse to run because of changes made or poor responses to race or registration issues.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

I have run in the Charleston Distance Run every year since I started running and will continue to run it as long as I can. It's a devilishly difficult 15 mile race held on Labor Day weekend.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

BenTN

I've only done the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon 3 times but it's now my annual road marathon. It was my first then I did three "big" marathons before going back to stay. I love that run! I've done LBL (Land between the Lakes) trail run 4 times. 23K, 2x 60K and 50M. Plus I do the 5K that goes by the house each year.
              Docket_Rocket

I have some local races that I do every year, unless another one (local or destination) happens to be on the same date. A1A Ft. Lauderdale Marathon ING Miami Marathon Doral 5K ALS 10K 13.1 Ft. Lauderdale Those are my usual repeats.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

I've done a local HM twice, because it's the only local spring HM. I've done a couple other races a couple times, but I've only been running for 3 years and my area has tons of races. A friend of mine has done the Beach to Beacon 10k every single year since it began.
                  Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Local 5 miler that I have ran for the last 7 years straight. Chicago Marathon this will be my 7th year in a row for it. Local marathon in April I have ran it 3 years in a row now which means I have a 100% streak going for that race. Its first year was 2011. If the race fits my schedule I have no problems being a repeat offender.
                      Till I get it right.

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm still in my first year, but there are a couple that I plan to repeat.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

I've got no problem doing the same races over and over. Seems like there is something to be said for having an advantage on a course you're familiar with. I also don't get bored doing the same ones. I can also see growing sort of an emotional attachment to a race. This will be my third year in a row for the Hartford Marathon, though I'm only doing the HM this year. It's a nice race and all, but there are other interesting options for fall marathons. The thing is, it's starting to feel like Hartford is sort of my home event and I want to run the local marathon. Part of me would feel bad to miss it.

<3

Will run for scenery.

Till I get it right.

Ha Ha! I had a summer roommate in college who was OCD. If he opened a cabinet, he would close it over and over again (15-30 times). Same with shutting off the shower/sink/lights. When I finally built up the nerve to ask about it, he said he had to be sure he did it right. Very sad, but funny at the same time.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Till I get it right.

This. I've got 2 races I do every year, partly b/c they are appropriately challenging. The Hocking Hills Indian Run in mid-September (6 out of last 7 yrs), and the Ashland 1/2 marathon in early December (5 in a row and counting). Both courses are hilly, especially late in the race, but can be conquered if I am both fast and strong that season.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

sheepla

I'll pretty much run any race over and over again EXCEPT when they don't start on time. My biggest pet peeve. One strike and they are out.