Beginners and Beyond

ON running shoes (Read 41 times)

delicate flower

The brand, On.  Weird name for a shoe.  Anyway, who's used them and what is your general opinion/impression?  Asking for a friend (aka DW).

<3

Docket_Rocket

I've never tried them but they have been around for a while and some of my tri friends here use them and love them.  I'll ask them for a more detailed review and get back to you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I've never tried them but they have been around for a while and some of my tri friends here use them and love them.  I'll ask them for a more detailed review and get back to you.

Thanks!  I picked up a pair because they're super comfy and crazy light.  Not sure how long they'll last though.....  Ask them which ones too Smile

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I will.  Been meaning to ask them because I love light shoes, but had the same misgivings as you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

I have the On Cloud and they're great. I like them all except for the huge lugs at the bottom, which attract huge stones/rocks like nobody's business. I'd say if she's going to run only on the treadmill, or on a road with no big stones, she'll probably love them too. I now use them for my stylin' walking shoes.

Docket_Rocket

Damn, now I need to try them.  You had me a treadmill.

How is the toe box?

PS, I've not heard from my friend who wears On yet.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I tried a pair on.

The upper is very different from what I'm used to, but not necessarily in a bad sense.

They were long: I usually wear size 13, and would have gone 12.5 if I would have bought them.

Running in them felt good.

I only tried them in the store, but for a shoe that boasts "cloud" in its name, I was surprised at how not cushiony they felt. That weird outsole of theirs did not cloudify the ride as much as I thought it would.

The toe box was not that wide, but the material they use did not put as much pressure on the sides of my forefoot as, say, Adidas shoes.

Overall I did not buy them because

- expensive (as most shoes are)

- I wasn't sure about the toe box, after all. Seemed ok, but not sure enough

- Did not seem very cushiony, and I was looking for a shoe for a 50K road race

- There was a pressure point on my upper foot, on the last shoe lace loop, that the tongue didn't seem to absorb

Long post for someone who has only worn them for like 3-4 minutes 

Docket_Rocket

I find the Adidas toebox one of the smallest of all the shoes I've tried, so it worries me if you thought the toe box was small too.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I find the Adidas toebox one of the smallest of all the shoes I've tried, so it worries me if you thought the toe box was small too.

I did not mean it in that sense. I could have said Asics, or Saucony instead. In fact Saucony is a good example. Traditional uppers are made of mesh (or whatever, I'm no expert, but you know what I mean) with overlayers of stiffer material (usually their logo) for sideways support, and sometimes a rubber or plastic thing around the end (front) of the shoe. That plastic is very stiff, and does not yield. So if the shoe is just a bit narrow it will suck.

IIRC the ON upper was made of a kind of a soft plastic that molded the foot kind of like what thin leather would do. So I felt like maybe even though my toes were touching the sides, that it might be fine as the material was molding to the shape of my foot.

I just wasn't sure how that would feel over 15-16 miles, and I had 31 to run.

But they did not feel Adidas narrow in the toe box.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks.  I run in Saucony and they don't feel stiff while running, so it might be good for my foot.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I tried a pair on.

The upper is very different from what I'm used to, but not necessarily in a bad sense.

They were long: I usually wear size 13, and would have gone 12.5 if I would have bought them.

Running in them felt good.

I only tried them in the store, but for a shoe that boasts "cloud" in its name, I was surprised at how not cushiony they felt. That weird outsole of theirs did not cloudify the ride as much as I thought it would.

The toe box was not that wide, but the material they use did not put as much pressure on the sides of my forefoot as, say, Adidas shoes.

Overall I did not buy them because

- expensive (as most shoes are)

- I wasn't sure about the toe box, after all. Seemed ok, but not sure enough

- Did not seem very cushiony, and I was looking for a shoe for a 50K road race

- There was a pressure point on my upper foot, on the last shoe lace loop, that the tongue didn't seem to absorb

Long post for someone who has only worn them for like 3-4 minutes 

Which ones did you try?  I bought the cloudflyer.  I like roomy toe boxes and I didn't have a problem with them. 

Will probably try them out on Thursday on the trail trail.  Definitely not a trail shoe - read lots of things about stuff getting caught in the clouds.

Cyberic

Which ones did you try?  I bought the cloudflyer.  I like roomy toe boxes and I didn't have a problem with them. 

Will probably try them out on Thursday on the trail trail.  Definitely not a trail shoe - read lots of things about stuff getting caught in the clouds.

Just the Clouds? Is there such a model? I'm not sure, actually. I was in the LRS, and with the specs I mentioned, the guy was making me try all these shoes. Ended up with the NB 890 v6s. It was definitely not a trail shoe I tried.

RunningOnSand

Damn, now I need to try them.  You had me a treadmill.

How is the toe box?

PS, I've not heard from my friend who wears On yet.

Nice and wide!