Beginners and Beyond

Where do you do your long runs? (Read 398 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Lilac - locally you might try running by the Lehigh University football stadium. I never ran there but it is relatively flat. You might need to do some loops. Also up by me, I like to run thru the office park and developments in Hanover Township. It too is relatively flat, low traffic, and safe - plus you can swing by Wegmans for some grub and a brewski! You could park at the office park ( like Miller Keystone ) or at Wegmans.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jess runs for bacon

During the summer I did my long runs around Liberty State Park along the waterfront, have to put up with ALOT of tourists though, lately I've been doing multiple loops around a park.

Are we talking about by Statue of Liberty? My fam has an apartment in Jersey City and when I was there last there was a half marathon going through, it seemed like a great place to run. I was thinking about going to Manhattan for some long runs but forgot about that park. I wouldn't mind the tourists too much, I prefer to go to places that are populated.

mucknort

There are several packed dirt rail trails that lead out of our town. My favorite goes uphill out of our valley, so the first half of the run is always up and second half down. I much prefer long runs on dirt to pavement for the soft impact. I'm always faster on pavement runs, but I can sure feel the pounding on my feet/joints.

My longest runs thus far have only been 9-10 miles, but I do the same thing I do for all my runs- mix it up.  I get bored running the same thing over and over again.  I also like to run to a destination.  Conveniently, my FIL's house is 9 miles away and my parents' and SIL's houses are 10 miles away.  I'm planning to run to my parents' house in time for my father and little sister's birthday party this weekend.  DH will drive over with the kids and meet me there.  Before I reached 10 miles for a long run I was really looking forward to when I would, because there was a loop around a lake I really wanted to do.  Also, my sister found a scenic private dirt road a few miles away recently so a couple of times now we've driven to it, done 4 miles of out and back on it together, then I run a route of however many more miles I need home.  I look forward to my long run each week because it has more route possibilities.  

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

delicate flower

We have the paved bike path/rail trail that goes through town that extends further than I'll ever be able to run.  I do a lot of my LR's on that.  From where I park (a five minute drive), I can run out-and-back as far as I want, refuel at the car, and run out-and-back in the other direction as far as I want.  It's also pretty flat, which is nice.  No cars, a few traffic crossings, and not a lot of foot and bike traffic.  It's also close enough to the main road that I duck into a store or bathroom if needed.

I've also done my LR's right out my front door.  Those are always tougher due to the hills.  And idiot drivers.  And bears.

I've run up to 16 miles on a treadmill too.

<3

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I literally run in to the town across the river/border, run on a trail by the river, and run home. It's a solid 8 mile loop that I have stretched to 13 miles. As long as the bridges are down it's my preferred LR.

- Andrew

cmb4314

In our town, pretty much all of the major roads are lined by asphalt bike paths.  Between those, and paths around small lakes, and side trips into neighborhoods, I can get pretty far.

If I'm feeling bored of that, I will go over to Minneapolis and run the Chain of Lakes, or into St. Paul and run along the Mississippi, or up north a bit onto a long bike path which is through wooded areas to begin with, and ends close to the city.

Usually, I don't feel like putting in enough effort to drive somewhere to run.  Even though it's boring because I do it so often, the routes around town are pretty decent.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Anomalous

I prefer the trails at our local state park/forest and sometimes follow the city routes provided by a local running group. The last resort is the treadmill.

<script></script>

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

tinman11

I was on a long run this summer and saw PhotogTom just as he was starting his run for the day along the Chattanooga River Walk.

I recognized him from his pic and confirmed it when we passed and spoke about 5 miles later.  I was only running about 14 on this day, but I was feeling pretty good and after seeing a fellow RWOL runner, I pushed it on up to 20 since I was almost due for that distance anyhow. 

Funny thing is, Tom didn't have any way of knowiing who I was until I sent him a message later that day. 

There's another guy on the L & O forum who I see and talk to all the time.  We pass each other running about 3 times a week, and have run together a few times.  He's pretty fast.  I think that he and Tom and I were all in the same 15 k back in April though.

Ghettopops

I don't know how people do short loops. My wife would run around this local pond/lake(1.6m) and would do 7-8 laps. Argg. I RU. From my house down to the river which is like 2 miles away and just follow the river walk and bike paths. Small route 9 big 16. I basically run the last 12 miles of TCM a couple times a week.
                      RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I was on a long run this summer and saw PhotogTom just as he was starting his run for the day along the Chattanooga River Walk.

That would be me! Smile

The Riverwalk is where I do almost all my longer runs. I may be there tomorrow or Thursday.

Is that you in your avatar?

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

tinman11

That would be me! Smile

The Riverwalk is where I do almost all my longer runs. I may be there tomorrow or Thursday.

Is that you in your avatar?

Yes, that's me climbing at Starr Mountain, overlooking the Hiwassee River. 

Enjoy your runs this week.  Looks like perfect weather most days.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Depends on how much time I have. If I have a lot of other things to do that day, I will stay in my neighborhood and the parks nearby. If I can dedicate several hours I will travel a little further. I live in NYC so there are a lot of awesome places to run if I can spare the time to travel a little for my LR.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to