Beginners and Beyond

November Full Moon Run (Read 16 times)

ForceD

The full Beaver Moon is Friday night (technically 01:24 Saturday morning EST). I’m traveling and not sure I’ll be able to make it out...so I’m counting my late night run last night (Wed) as my November full moon run. I encountered lots of deer, a few coyotes, owls, and some other wildlife. But no beavers. Get out and enjoy.

Dan

Running since March 1976

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know,...then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature." -- Ed Koren, Runner and Cartoonist for New Yorker magazine, 2006 interview for RW magazine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough...sprinters quit.

Cool!  Thanks for the info, I get the biggest kick out of all the different names.

You know LRB has coined a moon term--the Swing Moon.  It's when the crescent is at the bottom, like a swing.  I think we need to make this a thing.

The full Beaver Moon 

Are you sure this is an astronomical term?

Dave

LRB

Cool!  Thanks for the info, I get the biggest kick out of all the different names.

You know LRB has coined a moon term--the Swing Moon.  It's when the crescent is at the bottom, like a swing.  I think we need to make this a thing.

Believe me if I am breathing and upright October 17, 2018, I'll be looking for the coolest moon I've ever seen!

ForceD

Are you sure this is an astronomical term?

Well..."astronomical"? Not exactly. But, maybe agricultural. It's the name given by the Farmers' Almanac. (It's aka the Frosty Moon.)

The individual names given in Farmers' Almanac include:

January: "Wolf Moon" (this is the name of December in Beard 1918) also "Old Moon"
            February: "Snow Moon", also "Hunger Moon"
            March: "Worm Moon", "Crow Moon", "Sap Moon", "Lenten Moon"
            April: "Seed Moon", "Pink Moon", "Sprouting Grass Moon", "Egg Moon" (c.f. "Goose-Egg" in Beard 1918), "Fish Moon"
            May: "Milk Moon", "Flower Moon", "Corn Planting Moon"
            June: "Mead Moon", "Strawberry Moon" (c.f. Beard 1918), "Rose Moon", "Thunder Moon"
            July: "Hay Moon", "Buck Moon", "Elk Moon", "Thunder Moon"
            August: "Corn Moon", "Sturgeon Moon", "Red Moon", "Green Corn Moon", "Grain Moon"
            September: "Harvest Moon", "Full Corn Moon",
            October: "Hunter's moon", "Blood Moon"/"Sanguine Moon"
            November: "Beaver Moon", "Frosty Moon"
            December: "Oak Moon", "Cold Moon", "Long Night's Moon"
            The Long Night's Moon is the last of the year and the closest to the winter solstice.

Dan

Running since March 1976

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know,...then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature." -- Ed Koren, Runner and Cartoonist for New Yorker magazine, 2006 interview for RW magazine

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

When the going gets tough...sprinters quit.