Beginners and Beyond

2018: Fancy seeing you here (Read 71 times)

LRB

Goals.

Because it's what we do....

LRB

1. I haven't raced middle distance since 2014, which is completely insane. I am not throwing any time goals out there, just a goal to be out there.
      2. Run a 1:28 half marathon (still!), even though technically, 1:32 will be my new NYC qualifying time later this spring.
      3. PR the mile, which is borderline laughable at this point, but so was the thought once of me ever taking up this ridiculous hobby in the first place.

In all actuality, these goals are intertwined. So if one falls, all fall.

MTA: Race a trail event.

Docket_Rocket

Should I even dare?

I want a new PR. The end.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

oldfartrunner

My goal has been the same since I started back to running in 2014- after a long layoff, but the old body has had other plans.   But I will keep plugging away hoping this year I'll mend up enough, train consistently enough, and run fast enough to reach at least 80% AG. This will put me (according to the AG calculators)  in as good or better shape (for my age) as back in the day "open" category.  ...Because, that is what we do.  Thanks LRB!

1. Sub 19 5K.

2. Sub 40 10K.  

3. Half Marathon-just something under 1:30!

4. Use a the training log here at RA and a GPS watch consistently,  and get 2600 miles for 2018.

oldfartrunner

Should I even dare?

I want a new PR. The end.

I double dog dare ya! 

oldfartrunner

1. I haven't raced middle distance since 2014, which is completely insane. I am not throwing any time goals out there, just a goal to be out there.
              2. Run a 1:28 half marathon (still!), even though technically, 1:32 will be my new NYC qualifying time later this spring.
              3. PR the mile, which is borderline laughable at this point, but so was the thought once of me ever taking up this ridiculous hobby in the first place.

In all actuality, these goals are intertwined. So if one falls, all fall.

You got this LRB!   You don't have a hammy (yet), so no problemo.

onemile

I seem to always regret posting in these, so I'll pass.

oldfartrunner

I seem to always regret posting in these, so I'll pass.

That's what we do.  This is a chaos free zone.

LRB

You got this LRB!   You don't have a hammy (yet), so no problemo.

I've been there and had that. SI joint dysfunction, severe sciatic nerve pain, calf and achilles issues too. Just to name a few. 

oldfartrunner

I've been there and had that. SI joint dysfunction, severe sciatic nerve pain, calf and achilles issues too. Just to name a few. 

I hear ya brother, I've had my share too. Sad  This is the time of new beginnings though, and I believe this is going to be your (our) year!  Let's knock it out of the park this year!  We just got to do it!

Cyberic

Ok, 2018... here we go!

I want to PR in every distance I race. That does not mean I will race every distance.

My end of 2017 PRs (for future reference)

5K: 19:27

10K: 40:00

HM: 1:27:29

FM: 3:13:08

50K: 4:27:00

It's tough to do this when starting the year injured. Hamstring and hip problems are not stopping me from running, but will stop me from serious mileage and speed if they don't go away. And they just have the feel of something that will stick around for a while.

If I get healthy:

- mileage - 4th straight 2500+ mile year. (If I get 2300+, it'll be the 5th straight one of those.)

- PRs - I used to target all 4 major distances, but they are getting harder to come by. I'm making the half the main focus.

- marathons - run Eugene in April, and Seattle in November. (Goals to be set as the events near.)

Dave

breadnatty08

I have 3 races on the calendar so far.  I suppose my #1 goal is to win a race I wear a bib in.  Finishing first in these fatass events is awesome, but I'd really like a crack at a real win.  Here goes nothing for 2018.  Smile

Find me on Strava

oldfartrunner

I have 3 races on the calendar so far.  I suppose my #1 goal is to win a race I wear a bib in.  Finishing first in these fatass events is awesome, but I'd really like a crack at a real win.  Here goes nothing for 2018.  Smile

I'd say it's just a matter of time Bread. You are running awesome!  Plus a win, is a win, is a win. But I know what you mean.

delicate flower

1)  Surpass 2017's training volume (swim, bike, and run)

2)  Sub-11:00 Ironman

3)  PR something

<3