Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Enter Here! (Read 189 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Yesterday = nothing done. Today hopefully the gym.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Today will be either an SRD or a shakeout run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Most likely another RD for me.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

ALL ABOARD THE REST TRAIN!!!

Hell yeah, I've been crushing my rest goals.  Day 4!!!

Combine that with slow work, and I'm losing my darn mind.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - thanks for the start...

Gustav/Damaris/Mitch/Awood - rest, often the biggest challenge for habitual runners, no?!  It is for me.

AFM - yesterday was a RD also.  Just short of 7 on Tuesday, 2.5 on Wednesday, planning on a full 7 to 7.5 after work today.  I have to finalize my training plans for my half in May.  I have PLENTY of time to get ready but I don't want to wreck myself like I did in 2010.  My DS has lost most of his interest in running despite being very gung-ho when we registered for it.  I had anticipated it so I'm going to ease him through it. I'd far rather have him as a casual running buddy and push him and have him hate running altogether.  Anywho...    off I go to finish up the work day.   Have an great day!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - thanks for the start...

Gustav/Damaris/Mitch/Awood - rest, often the biggest challenge for habitual runners, no?!  It is for me.

AFM - yesterday was a RD also.  Just short of 7 on Tuesday, 2.5 on Wednesday, planning on a full 7 to 7.5 after work today.  I have to finalize my training plans for my half in May.  I have PLENTY of time to get ready but I don't want to wreck myself like I did in 2010.  My DS has lost most of his interest in running despite being very gung-ho when we registered for it.  I had anticipated it so I'm going to ease him through it. I'd far rather have him as a casual running buddy and push him and have him hate running altogether.  Anywho...    off I go to finish up the work day.   Have an great day!

I never would have believed it when I started running, but you're right.  I feel like I've taken a month off.  I'm sure holiday food hasn't helped, but its difficult.

It sounds like you've got plenty of time to prepare for your HM, and a good plan for your DS.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Friday Penguins!  Rest day for me today, after running 6 days in a row.   Warmer day today than yesterday.  In the 50s this morning and will be going to a high of 70 today.  Tomorrow, the high will only be 57.  I wish Mother Nature would make up her freakin'  mind about whether San Antonio is going to have 'winter' or not.

After work yesterday I headed over to the campus and did the Diploma Dash 5K route around the university.  It was VERY quiet with the majority of students gone.  I ended up with a 33:17 finish time.  After my run I also got hit in the head with a basketball, lol.  I went into they gym area to get a post-run drink of water.  Some of the members of the university women's basketball team were on the court practicing.  As I passed by the court I heard a shout..."Heads up!"  and turned to see what was going on...and a basketball whacked me in the head!  Luckily, it had been tipped, so it wasn't really going that fast.   Only I could get hit with a basketball post-run, I just had to laugh.  The lady who had missed the pass came over very apologetic, "Oh, I'm so sorry, sir, are you okay..." and so forth. I told her not to worry about it and that, believe me, if she knew me and the "adventures" I have had, she would know this is one of the more milder "run-experience"  things that has happened to me, lol, so not a big deal.  Well, guess it pays to have a good sense of humor about it all because the coach there was appreciative that I was being polite about it all, and gave me two tickets for one of the home games.  I passed those on to one of my lady co-workers who used to play basketball for her college and loves women's basketball, so she appreciated the tickets.  After I got home Gail asked how my run went and I said "I got hit in the head with a basketball."  She didn't even blink, lol, just said "I don't doubt it at all."

Never a dull moment!  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy gym time, Gustav!

What is a "shake-out' run, Damaris?  Now I have a mental image of you running along singing out loud....

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake
                    Shake your booty
                    Shake your booty
                    Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake
                    Shake your booty
                    Shake your booty

Oh, You can, you can do it very well
                    You're the best in the world, I can tell
                    Oh, Shake shake shake, shake shake shake
                    Shake your booty
                    Shake your booty

Big grin  Big grin

Happy Rest Day, Mitch!  Still on the 12-hour shifts?

Well, gee, Awood, first you have to have a mind to lose... Wink   Congrats on behaving yourself!

Good luck with your miles later, Vance.  Good luck with your son, too, hope you can keep him interested in running.  If not, hopefully he will find some exercise passion.  Long as he is out there doing something to benefit his health, that's what matters.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Oh, it sounds lIke there is a lot of resting going on today. I plan to run today but might not have time....I'm spending half the day today practicing a new skill for my other hobby ( quilting). If I can I plan to do 6-7 miles afterward, otherwise  the run will get pushed to tomorrow.

It was very windy yesterday so I opted for the treadmill. I managed to go for an hour before boredom set in. Yesterday's  run put me over 100 miles for December-- my first month to hit that milestone. Hooray for small victories!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Did you at least fall to the ground, and take in the view?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - Congrats on the mileage milestone!  You're always welcome to join the rest of the resters :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the 100 miles Phil.

Guess I'm in the RD club.  Rare cold for me.  Doesn't seem to bad, so maybe I'll get out tomorrow.

Have a great weekend !!!!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

morning Pengs!  I've been working like a darn nut so haven't run since my call started Monday morning.  Bleh, I feel totally gross.  Went to bed at 8 pm last  night and let myself sleep till 6.  Still am tired but I'd love to get a few miles in this evening to get back on track.

Have a great Friday!

Liz

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lots of resting today, enjoy/ try not to go too crazy for those on the IR right now.

Scotty of COURSE you got hit in the head with a basketball. Always a story Scotty.

I just got back from 4.1 in the WIND. Beginning of the run was 28 degrees "feels like" 15 degrees with 22 mph winds and gusts up to 37 mph, by the end of the run it was 34 "feels like" 22 degrees. Believe it or not, it was actually a great run despite that, I felt great and no calf cramps. Again set out for 3 but went longer....I wasn't checking the Garmin much (I wore my new running rain jacket as a windbreaker because it also claims to be good in the wind, which it was, but my Garmin wouldn't fit over my wrist over it, so it was hidden and forced me not to check it much) and I checked it and it said almost 3 miles and I knew I was at least a mile from home...oops time to turn around! Also, believe it or not I dressed correctly for the run and actually sweat through every layer (Nike Thermal tights, light LS tech shirt, LS lined half zip, running rain coat/wind breaker, windproof gloves, tech headband, and neck warmer that I frequently pulled up over the bottom of my face when big gusts came).

I'm off to Atlantic City where I will meet up with my parents and brother for today through tomorrow, and then going to my boyfriend's in Maryland til New Year's Day. So not sure how much I will check in, so if I don't get to have a great weekend and New Years!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to