Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Enter Here! (Read 189 times)

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  RDs all around I guess.  For me I might run both weekend days, plus my HM plan starts on Monday, so it makes sense to take a RD today.

Gustav- GL getting to the gym today!

D- Enjoy your day, whatever you decide!

Mitch- Hope the day is a good one!

Awood- Have you considered walking?  Or finding some way to do an active recovery?  I know it's still knee impact but hopefully not enough to slow healing, and it might give you something to focus on.  There's always the recumbent stationary bike, too.  Of course I found it's a PITA to even get my heart rate up on the one I have access to now that I'm used to running.

Vance- Sounds like you have a good plan to help DS be successful!

Scotty- 6 days in a row?  Wow!  And only you could find that much danger indoors as well as out!

Margo- Congrats on the 100-mile month!  That's a milestone for sure!

Jerry- Hope you feel better soon!

Liz- GL getting a great run in today!

Zelanie

Kristin- Sounds like a great run in that weather!  Enjoy your weekend at Atlantic City!

Snickers1230

I hope everyone enjoys their resting!  Me, I've been resting all week!  Life keeps getting in the way.  Family in town and car issues, I've let myself take a little running holiday Smile  But I'm working a half day today so I'm going to hit up the park on my way home for an easy 3-4 mile run.  I'm looking forward to it!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Bin Running

What do you know? Rest day for me too..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Bin and Kristin, it looks like you were both placed on one of the Miles Game teams. That didn't take long! It took me about 4-5 weeks to be placed. I seen it at the other place, but it's probably posted here on RA too.

Philly, congrats on the 100 mile month milestone.

Bin Running

Bin and Kristin, it looks like you were both placed on one of the Miles Game teams. That didn't take long! It took me about 4-5 weeks to be placed. I seen it at the other place, but it's probably posted here on RA too.

Philly, congrats on the 100 mile month milestone.

That's fast.. Will check it out now.. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

There must be something in the water... REST DAY here!  Hopefully I will do nine or ten tomorrow.  It's official; DW and I signed up for the La Jolla HM in April. I am building mileage now and my program starts on February 3. I am going to try the Ryan Hall plan.

Philliefan33

Looks like I'm joining the REST of you today. I just got back from my quilting class, and was starving so of course I inhaled a bunch of food. My belly is too full to run now, and in a couple of hours I will be heading to our mountain house for girls weekend with my daughters and some friends. I will run tomorrow morning while everyone else sleeps in.

I will be without Internet until I come home in 2013, so Happy New Year everyone!

Sloooow.

Afternoon, all!

Trying to decide if I should do 2 miles tonight? I have a 5K at 9am tomorrow.

I tried to do some floor exercises this morning. Problem is, when I get on the floor my 4 year old and 18 month old immediately think HORSEY!!!! Attempts with 60lb of kids on my back were hopeless.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jackie, Tomas, and any other Texas Penguins....

Anyone interested in doing the Beach to Bay Relay in Corpus Christi in May 2013?  It is a 6-person relay and the largest relay marathon in the US.  I've done it a few times, it is quite fun.  If anyone is interested, let me know.   Here is the link to the site:

http://www.beachtobayrelay.com/

If any of you non-Texan Penguins are willing to travel to do it, that's cool too.  Let me know.  Once we pay the entry form we are committed - which is no problem for me, I've been committed several times Big grin - so be sure you want to do it and won't have to back out!  Cheers.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

For those of you joining me on the couch...Thank You!

Zel - You're absolutely right.  One thing that I've been looking at is some resistance training for runners to minimize my injury risks, and also building in a cross training day or two into my running program.  I think my body likes 1-2 rest days per week, but a cross training day would satisfy my mind and body.  That may change as I lose more weight, and get more experience.  While training for my last HM, I hit 42 miles a week on 5 days of training.  It didn't seem to bother me.

Whenever I start having thoughts that I need to go run, and my knee feels good I remind myself that Jack Daniels recommends an extended break at least once per year.  So, I'm trying to think of it as part of my training plan.  He does say though that you can use that time to work on cross training like cycling, swimming, weight training, etc.  So, while I'm planning to start running again on Sunday or Monday, I think I might take the dog for a walk tonight and hit the gym tomorrow.  I can start working on my core, doing some light squat, lunges, etc.  I might even try out one of those elliptical trainers just to get some sweat going.  Maybe I won't feel so caged if I can convince my mind that we're doing something useful.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kitteh

I tried to do some floor exercises this morning. Problem is, when I get on the floor my 4 year old and 18 month old immediately think HORSEY!!!! Attempts with 60lb of kids on my back were hopeless.

Ahaha, I love this and can SO relate. Adorable.

Afternoon all! Hope the Rest Day crew enjoys it!

I ended up resting all day yesterday. Finally heard back from the Dr, who said that since the heart palpitations didn't occur anytime near when I was running, or even within an hour afterward, that I'm cleared to continue running. She also said that if I have the same symptoms again to just go right to the ER (there is one right across the street!) and they can do an EKG just to rule anything out. But she didn't seem terribly concerned about the whole thing, which was a relief. Hoping to get out there for 3-4 miles today. I need some more Margarita shot blocks for this Sunday's long run, and my upcoming half marathon, so I think I'll run up to the LRS to get a few packs.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Dad on the run.

Hey all. So my week off has been amazing. My wife got a really really nice Christmas bonus so we split it and went nuts. I know, not the most responsible thing but you only live once lol. I have bought me a Xbox 360, a 180 dollar pair of sunglasses for 58, love clearance. 3 pair of running g shorts, nike cold gear shirt. 3 short sleeve tech shirts a pair of new balance 610 v2 trail runners, a pair of saucony triumph 10s some running socks forget the name, hiking pants some smart wool socks. I'm all set with my running gear for quite a long time. My wife has more or less gotten the same stuff but she has of course bought home items and girly girl stuff like make up and what not. We didn't buy anything for each other so we had a all day shopping extravaganza yesterday while my mom watched our daughter. Great times.

Tomorrow we are hiking at the sipsey, Sunday is bowling with my parents, Monday is a new years party at our house, Tuesday a rest day then it's back to work wed.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Also tried our local fleet feet again. I like it. It's small but the guy who helped us yesterday was very knowledgeable and really took his time with both me and my wife in helping us find the right shoes. We both fell in love with the triumph 10s. Now we just have to wait for Ashley's to get shipped to the store. They were out of women's 12.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kitteh

DANG jblackjr! That must have been SOME Christmas bonus to bring home such a HAUL. Happy Holidays to you!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05