Beginners and Beyond

New Years Weekend Penguins (Read 10 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Any races this weekend?  Good runs? Rounding out your annual mileage to make an even number? Did you beat the pace bunny?

I'm due for a 7 mile MP run which I hope to do on the railtrail in Shippensburg so I can practice reining in my pace on flat ground. I beat the pace bunny. I don't know if I'm OCD enough to run an uneven number in order to make an even number for the year. Probably not.

Docket_Rocket

Happy New Year!  I ran 10 on the TM with stomach issues just now.  Drinking water with lemon to see if the stomach calms down enough.

Hope your MP run went well, Ginny.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Did you run after eating?  I hope you feel better.

My run was good, though the wind was high  enough (15-20 mph) it made my return miles a bit more difficult than I expected.

Docket_Rocket

Nope. I run before dinner.  I had lunch late but I don't think it was food related.  Thanks.

Nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Going for a nice New Year's Day walk with the dog and the husband. I was asleep by like 10pm last night.  So much for an exciting nye.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

7 yesterday on the trails to finish 2016.

We had a predictive trail run today. You predict what your time will finish 4, 8, or 12 miles. The person closest to their predictive time wins.  Running naked, no watches phones or Garmin.

I was second in the 4 mile with 38 seconds.

GinnyinPA

PAD - I've heard of those runs. Especially on trails, that would be hard to do unless you really know your paces.

D - I hope your TM run today went better than yesterday.

Jill - I hope you enjoyed your walk.

I did 10 miles on a beautiful sunny day. It was a cutback week, which was good because I didn't have a lot of energy and my pacing was bad. The watch somehow got changed from lap pace to current pace, which really screwed me up. I hate current pace.

Docket_Rocket

Happy New Year!  I only managed 7.25 on the TM today before I called it quits.  The cold is almost gone but with the lack of sleep last night (long story short - but nightmares, etc.), I am not surprised.  Will try my LR tomorrow.

Jill, I wish I could say I slept since 10pm.  Nice.

PAD, nice job on the predictive run.

Ginny, nice 10.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I ran 5k to a 5k that my club puts on to volunteer. I helped out a bit, congratulated the winner, then jogged the course. Then I helped clean up, and ran home. Since then I have been totally wiped out. I'm hoping that's the weather and not what running 9 miles does to me these days. It was 34 and raining fairly hard when I left,  and then I had an hour of standing around and freezing while trying to hand out safety pins. It warmed up to maybe 38 degrees and not quite raining by the time I got home, but it was still 4.5 hours in the cold, alternating running and freezing.

Zelanie

Jill- Hope that you had a good walk!

PAD- Congrats! Prediction runs sound fun. Glad you got to do one. 

Ginny - It is nice that a cutback week for you still has a 10 miler. I usually have current pace, too, but I like it for intervals where I figure it's better to aim for a consistent target instead of speeding up or slowing down to get the overall interval right

D- Sorry you had such a rotten night. I hope that your cold is better soon and that you are able to get some rest.