Beginners and Beyond

I know my days of outdoor runs are numbered, but today, I just had to have one (Read 114 times)

LRB

Like s spicy Bloody Mary on a Wednesday evening after work with the crew, or an order of fries with a burger; single digit wind chills, blowing snow, or even 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground could not keep me inside today.

Now, I have taken my share of unscheduled rest days and impromptu treadmill runs, so it is not like I was being stupid (even though I probably was).  I am not sure what that was all about but I refused to be turned away, even in snow storm conditions.

I actually never went more than a mile and a half from home, but managed to zig-zag my way though the hood while trying to dodge the brutal winds for 7 glorious miles!

I actually smiled several times as I trudged through the crap, of course it helps to have the equipment to run in weather like that and oh yeah baby, I got that covered!

You ever feel like that?  Where you just have to get out and run, obstacles be damned?  Or am I just an oddball?   

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Nope.  You're just weird! 

Ha ha........I was doing that a couple years ago.  In fact, in my current state if my doc said, "Dude, go run as much as you want", I'd probably have headed out even a month or so ago when we didn't have snow on the ground but we were certainly getting frost on the grass and it was getting near freezing.  It would be nuts but I did it before & after a few miles the body sweats it out.

So, ya, sometimes it just feels good to get outside regardless.  I can't imagine what you snowbound folks do after a handful of back to back treadmill runs.  Then again, look at Julie (lilly) and she confesses to doing most on a tmill.  And not little mileage either.

But I think it's obvious.......Julie's a little off her rocker too............sooooo.....theres's that.

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What's this I hear about another huge snow storm coming to some of the North Eastern states, and possibly affecting 70 million people? Anybody else hear about this?

http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/01/snowstorm-targets-70-million-in-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D425545

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

What's this I hear about another huge snow storm coming to some of the North Eastern states, and possibly affecting 70 million people? Anybody else hear about this?

http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/01/snowstorm-targets-70-million-in-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D425545

Just a light flurry.  It's infuriating that Buffalo is seemingly labeled on any map relating to snow, even if we're not getting the brunt of it. 

Hip Redux

I'm in the 12"+ zone, woot!

Yes, it's been on the news non-stop around here.  OMG SNOW!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hope it doesn't hit too bad around here, the trails are actually finally starting to dry up Sad and we've already dealt with the flooding from the melting snow of last month, that sucked.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

I think we're all misfits, and/or a bit off our rocker here, by the way. 

LRB, no, I've never thought obstacles be damned, I need to do that one run, no matter what. But I have run while sick, injured, tired and I have postponed an important surgery, three times, just so I would have time to train and run my first marathon. My goal is not to attain badass level by subjecting myself to things I do not enjoy; my goal is to hopefully run good races. To achieve that, I find running in ideal conditions helps me. And for me, that means running inside, simply because I really do enjoy it. I am not hardcore at all, I know that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

#artbydmcbride

Sure, the temps were in the low 50s, but I put an extra long sleeve shirt and mittens on and went for it!.....

Runners run

happylily

Sure, the temps were in the low 50s, but I put an extra long sleeve shirt and mittens on and went for it!.....

HARDCORE! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Yup! Monday it was 5 f but the warmest  its been in a while and after being kept inside running for ten days due to terrible.storms and sub zero temps I just had to do my 6 miles outdoors. In 14 years of being a year round outdoor runner this was the longest I have gone without running outside and hitting the mill instead.

It was cold and windy  with 3-4 inches of snow on the roads and twice I had to climb a 4 foot snow bank then walk thru 200 feet of  knee deep snow but it was totally awesomeSmile

Little Blue

It's a rare thing to have snow here, so when we had a good 8" or so a few years ago, I just had to run in it.  Of course we have none of the equipment you guys have, so the roads had only the tire tracks of the intrepid 4WD owners.  I ran on the what I knew was the double yellow line, and it was so quiet!  My DH thought I was nuts, but he did take my picture when I came back, feet covered in ice.  Loved it!

LRB

HARDCORE! 

That was funny!

Randy, I believe my max is 3 days consecutively on the treadmill.  I can usually break away to the park on the weekends.

HiLene.

FS, what's with spreading all that propaganda?

Jay, only 29 more days till February.  Which does not mean anything but for people like me it's a way to stay positive.

O, you can just go run for 6 hours in it. 

That run knocked me out, took an hour nap and now I see we are under a winter advisory until noon tomorrow.  Great.  Not really.

LRB

Yup! Monday it was 5 f but the warmest  its been in a while and after being kept inside running for ten days due to terrible.storms and sub zero temps I just had to do my 6 miles outdoors. In 14 years of being a year round outdoor runner this was the longest I have gone without running outside and hitting the mill instead.

Snow Gal!  I think my run today may have preceded my ten day streak.  Boo.

Blue, running in the snow is quiet!  You can hear so much more than normal.  I could see wanting to experience that!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sorry, I just wanted to see if anybody else heard about it 

PRs

LRB

Sorry, I just wanted to see if anybody else heard about it 

I guess I should click on the link then...