Beginners and Beyond

Boeing Seal Beach 5k RR (Read 51 times)

Brilliant

Today I ran in the Boeing Seal Beach 5k.  This is a race put on once a month for Boeing employees by the recreation staff.  You don't have to be a Boeing employee to run it, though, you can be a friend of an employee.  Or in my case, a friend of a friend of a retired Boeing employee. Big grin

The race is run during the lunch hour which is unfortunate because today was sunny and a little warm, but it wasn't too bad.  It's an out & back course on a road and a paved canal path.  Today there were only 36 runners, although sometimes they get 50 or more.  No timing mats - everybody starts on a "go!"   Oh, and the best part is, it's free!   They even provide bananas, tangerines, and water.

I've been running intervals and fast tempo runs for the last few weeks, so I really felt like I could beat my previous PR set last year of 29:22.  I decided to run a pace of "under 9 minutes" - I'd be happy with 8:59, but wanted to try a bit faster.

I arrived early enough to get in a 1.2 mile warmup which I finished just a couple of minutes before the start.   I went out too fast at the start; at about .2 miles my average pace was 8 minutes.  I knew I couldn't hang on to that, so I slowed down a bit until my average got to about 8:45 and decided to try to stick with that.  A guy passed me at about .7 and settled in right in front of me.  I couldn't seem to pass him, and my pace was still slowing (I think he passed me and slowed down but whenever I tried to pull ahead, he sped up!)  I finally got around him and got my pace back under 8:50 after that.  He stayed on my elbow for a LONG time; I could hear him breathing!

The pace was pretty tough for me and at about 2.6 miles I started wondering what I was thinking.  But I put on the afterburners and managed to lose guy-breathing-on-my-elbow.  As I crossed the finish line, the time-keeper called out 27:13.  I was pretty happy with that.  My watch didn't show the elapsed time, so I knew I with the pace I was running I was at 27 something, but wasn't sure exactly what.

Splits:

1 - 8:49

2 - 8:47

3 - 8:41

.1 - 8:36

Now I just need to hold that pace for another 23 miles and I've got a BQ! 

MTA: the BQ is not a real short term goal.  I'll be running a 5k again on July 4 and would love to shave 14 seconds off and come in at 26:59.  Based on the last couple of years' results, I might actually have a shot at an AG award if I do that.  So I'll keep up with the intervals for the next few weeks.

cjones1

Nice job! And a free race on a Monday afternoon. Yes, please.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Brilliant

Nice job! And a free race on a Monday afternoon. Yes, please.

I know, right?  I didn't even have to spend gas money - Retired Boeing Employee that I just met on Saturday met 3 of us from our run club at a nearby park and drove us over there.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You really flew through that Boeing race, Bri. I'll have to visit my retired Boeing friend some day.

LRB

Retired Boeing Employee that I just met on Saturday...

Now before you going saying I do to this guy your big 'bro LRB needs to meet him and give him the once over.

Excellent performance! You have recovered nicely from your marathon.

PADRunner

Congrats Brill, smashed that soft PR!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice run, Brill. Intervals are hard, but as you found out, they will pay off. Nice kick at the end. Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice job! Earlier in the day & cooler, plus more quality work and you should be under 27 minutes on July 4.

hog4life

Nice going! That's a big improvement.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Your training is really paying off and those are great splits.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  Nice splits.  How serendipitous.  Chance meeting leads to free race leads to big PR.

Brilliant

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Smile  Every time I hit a PR, I think, "Uh oh, what's next?"

Now before you going saying I do to this guy your big 'bro LRB needs to meet him and give him the once over.

Haha, I didn't realize how bizarre my statement seemed until I read this.  Apparently strange men don't even need to tell me they are looking for a lost puppy for me to get in the van..."Hey wanna go to a free 5k?" and I'll get in the car with anyone. Big grin

tracilynn

Nice!  Those splits are a thing of beauty! Congrats 

~~~~~~~

Traci

Cyberic

Way to beat your PR! Over 2 minutes in a 5K... wow!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the PR!  Well done!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page