Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 25, Run To Remember 5K , April 28 (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252025%2520Run%2520To%2520Remember%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 25th race, and third of the April 27 – 28h weekend, was the Run to Remember 5K, held on Sunday, April 28th at Comanche Park in San Antonio. There was also a 10K.   Also known as “Beards and Beans” this event was started in 2012 by two brothers, Miguel (Beans) and Matt (Beard) as a friendly sibling rivalry to raise funds and awareness about Alzheimer’s.  Whichever brother raises the most, the other brother has to either eat a full plate of beans or shave off his beard. This year closed out the events of Fiesta San Antonio, a 10-day celebration in April raising funds for student scholarships and various other nonprofits.  Proceeds for this event go to the San Antonio and South Texas Alzheimer’s Association.  There were about 125 or so participants for this one.  I think there were more actually registered than showed up, but it was the last Saturday night of Fiesta before this event, so I bet a few people ended up partying a bit too much and were no-shows.  The 10K started at 8 a.m., followed by the 5K at 8:30 a.m. I got there with about an hour to go to the 5K and got a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the closing event of Fiesta San Antonio 2019

photo IMG_6052_zpse3fat0bt.jpg

photo IMG_6051_zps0qv5l1hp.jpg

photo IMG_6054_zpsj47faenf.jpg

photo IMG_6055_zps80qh7rcj.jpg

photo IMG_6056_zpsnfovjr8i.jpg

photo IMG_6067_zpsedbfj6v8.jpg

photo IMG_6068_zpswgvhawle.jpg

photo IMG_6069_zpsr8t92tob.jpg

photo IMG_6070_zpsrqvtyrhz.jpg

photo IMG_6072_zpslavpr5qe.jpg

photo IMG_6073_zps39hul44f.jpg

iaap timing and results guys

photo IMG_6057_zpswdufkihi.jpg

Fiesta Miss San Antonio in attendance

photo IMG_6058_zpsofsnotqa.jpg

photo IMG_6059_zpsp87ifxgl.jpg

With friend Melanie, who is also very involved with Fiesta each year

photo IMG_6065_zpshcyhqs3j.jpg

With friend Bernadette

photo IMG_6061_zpse0moeczo.jpg

One of our co-race directors

photo IMG_6062_zps1yff1khw.jpg

National Anthem

photo IMG_6063_zpsxzdml8pe.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Comanche park is a great park to run in with off-road paved trails, lots of shade and lots of facilities at the main pavilion area.  Both 10K and 5K were out-and-back routes.   A couple of mild hills along the way for the 5K, but nothing really serious. Very nicely laid course, well-thought out.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:23, 4th in my age group of 60-69. If they had been 5-year age groups, I probably would have placed.  Oh well. Nice course, had fun, enjoyed running with my buds, it’s all good.

photo IMG_6074_zpsxnwa5qb7.jpg

photo IMG_6075_zpslgrnpp5y.jpg

photo IMG_6076_zpsyaey7xzw.jpg

This was the 10K winner heading to the finish.  I had not even got to 5K mile 1 yet.

photo IMG_6077_zpscmgnnnjm.jpg

photo IMG_6078_zpsmk3t77or.jpg

photo IMG_6079_zpsorogmlxz.jpg

photo IMG_6080_zpsrqaxjvfg.jpg

photo IMG_6081_zpsmb2f7ysp.jpg

photo IMG_6082_zps0ckvtok7.jpg

Bridge at top was 5K turn-round point

photo IMG_6083_zps9hvr31tq.jpg

The bridge crossed the 'raging' Salado Creek

photo IMG_6084_zpsv2f2byxx.jpg

photo IMG_6085_zpsu7pqwb7c.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Water, various other drinks and beer choice of Tecate of Dos Equis.  Various fruits available and also food trucks onsite from which you could purchase food.  Yay beer!  Enjoyed post-race chatting with friends and, of course, getting some ‘happy finishers” and other photos.

Three happy finishers.  Two of us placed. Guess who didn't....  

photo IMG_6087_zpsallu0lcv.jpg

photo IMG_6089_zpssohcduyz.jpg

photo IMG_6090_zpswukydeie.jpg

photo IMG_6091_zpsw3hf5wmz.jpg

photo IMG_6092_zpstmjnrzl2.jpg

photo IMG_6093_zpsubhgbbqk.jpg

Jill, you're supposed to look up at the camera.

photo IMG_6094_zpssanscnkd.jpg

There you are...

photo IMG_6095_zpsvjmbm4e5.jpg

photo IMG_6096_zps0puizowj.jpg

With friend Frank, 70+ and still going strong

photo IMG_6097_zpselgwbqki.jpg

Three old dogs still enjoying themselves

photo IMG_6099_zpsn0ut9yvi.jpg

Award winner

photo IMG_6101_zpsbzvkg0zp.jpg

Happy finishers.  Friend Don did the 10K

photo IMG_6102_zpshppxjggz.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized event with iaap doing its usual great job for course timing, results, etc, and kudos to friend Erik Burciaga of Dragon’s Den – another good local running company and also a producer of race and event shirts as well – for laying out a really nice course, slightly different from the usual 5K courses done here. After doing this even, I must say I prefer the course Erik designed instead of the “usual’ course that most race directors use.  Definitely will continue to do this event in the future and would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to everyone out there who made this one happen for we participants: our race director and her many volunteers; all the sponsors and vendors; law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt