Beginners and Beyond

Welcome to the Working Week Mondailies (Read 41 times)

I know it don't thrill you, I hope it don't kill you.

5 miles.

(And if you have the day off, I don't want to hear about it.)

Dave

delicate flower

Hello, friends. I was going to run before work, but when the alarm went off and it was 19 degrees, I remembered that it will be 70 when i arrive in Atlanta in a few hours. So, I will run then.

<3

Cyberic

Run commute day.

Spoke to hired coach on the phone yesterday. He's been following me on Strava and Garmin Connect for the past couple of weeks and suggested a few things for the first time, which all come down to run fast.

- 1 week out of three ( or something like that ) change the traditionnal long run for a long workout.

- Strides are good. When I feel good after an easy run, do strides. The speed of the strides depends on how I feel. Even not so fast strides are good as I'm still firing muscles in a different way than just running easy.

- Race shorter distances. Although he knows I don't like it much, he still suggests it.

- When (if) I want to go down to 2 workouts per week (mid week + LR), he suggests that I can still do 5-6 400s for example on another day. Not a big workout, with sufficient rest, but just to make sure I keep some speed in the mix.

So I did some strides at the end of my easy run yesterday, and some on my commute to work this morning.

I do plenty of easy (slow) running. Which is good. But throwing in more faster running here and there is what he suggests.

Very personnalized advice. I like that.

sdWhiskers

5 easy miles this morning before work in cold and windy. Still in a bit of a running funk.

It seems like 95% of the usual morning commuters have off today. If my drive was always that easy, I would be in (work) heaven!

sdWhiskers

Run commute day.

Spoke to hired coach on the phone yesterday. He's been following me on Strava and Garmin Connect for the past couple of weeks and suggested a few things for the first time, which all come down to run fast.

- 1 week out of three ( or something like that ) change the traditionnal long run for a long workout.

- Strides are good. When I feel good after an easy run, do strides. The speed of the strides depends on how I feel. Even not so fast strides are good as I'm still firing muscles in a different way than just running easy.

- Race shorter distances. Although he knows I don't like it much, he still suggests it.

- When (if) I want to go down to 2 workouts per week (mid week + LR), he suggests that I can still do 5-6 400s for example on another day. Not a big workout, with sufficient rest, but just to make sure I keep some speed in the mix.

So I did some strides at the end of my easy run yesterday, and some on my commute to work this morning.

I do plenty of easy (slow) running. Which is good. But throwing in more faster running here and there is what he suggests.

Some good stuff here. My coach usually puts workouts in 2 out of 3 long runs. Or sometimes it might just be pickups or something like first minute of each of the middle 8-10 miles are quicker and the remaining part of the mile easy. And I'll have strides on my schedule 1-2 x week.

Cyberic

Some good stuff here. My coach usually puts workouts in 2 out of 3 long runs. Or sometimes it might just be pickups or something like first minute of each of the middle 8-10 miles are quicker and the remaining part of the mile easy. And I'll have strides on my schedule 1-2 x week.

Yeah, well he told me stuff I could improve on, in his opinion, given my goals and my life schedule. I told him (and he noticed) that I like to do lots of easy miles, and my body handles that well. He thinks that's great, and he doesn't want me to change that. My workouts, in the time I have during lunch... good too. Just a couple of little ways I could integrate more speed without scrapping the whole balance.

onemile

Run commute day.

Sounds good

Are you going to follow the suggestion to race shorter distances?

Docket_Rocket

I do have the day off...which is why my coach gave me 18 miles to run.  Will start after 2.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

Good morning.

Cyber, sounds like great advice.

Onemile, how's your back feeling today?

Dave, I also won't mention the sleeting snow that's coming down!

Baboon, 70 sounds heavenly.

Whiskers, I'm impressed that you're still getting out there fairly consistently, despite your running funk.

It's a SRD here. It's a lighter week in preparation for my HM this weekend. Thus begins the obsessive weather.com forecast checking.

zzyzx

Yesterday I did the 20/10 elliptical bike thing but I did it as 24 minutes on the elliptical and 12 on the bike. I'm slowly getting back in elliptical shape

Today I did a ton of lifting and my best exercise bike day in ages.

Cyberic

Sounds good

Are you going to follow the suggestion to race shorter distances?

I dunno about that one. Not shutting the door to it, but I don't see myself looking for races all the time, so I don't think I'll follow that advice much.

I realize that not only does it stress me to race, but I HATE appointments. I go to an appointment free garage for my car as much as possible. I go to an appointment free barber all the time. I try to avoid having to be somewhere at a specific date and time as much as possible, so that doesn't help for racing, either.

Runshortii

I ran 6.

Onemile - my back was super stiff on my LR yesterday too. Seems a little better today

onemile

I ran 6.

Onemile - my back was super stiff on my LR yesterday too. Seems a little better today

It's not uncommon for me after a long run (but not a 10 mile long run where it starts to tighten up half way thru). I figured I have tight _____ so I tried to stretch everything that could be the problem.

onemile

I dunno about that one. Not shutting the door to it, but I don't see myself looking for races all the time, so I don't think I'll follow that advice much.

I realize that not only does it stress me to race, but I HATE appointments. I go to an appointment free garage for my car as much as possible. I go to an appointment free barber all the time. I try to avoid having to be somewhere at a specific date and time as much as possible, so that doesn't help for racing, either.

I tried racing a bunch of 5ks a couple years ago because I thought it might help me but I don't think it did. Some people seem to do well when they race a lot though.

Run commute day.

Seems like all good stuff. A lot of it consistent with the canned plans I've been on.

Pfitz & McMillan both :heart: strides. It's there virtually every week of the whole cycle.

On racing - if he knows you won't do this, for whatever your reasons - maybe ask if there's a substitute. He might say there's nothing like a race. But maybe he'll suggest a time trial, or an extra hard workout, or something back-to-back (IDK, I'm not a coach). It would be interesting to get his response.

Dave