Beginners and Beyond

Monday- Happy Indigenous Penguins' Day! (Read 23 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

RD for me, how about you?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Rest day for me, too, Zel!

GinnyinPA

Congratulations to Mitch, Allison and Damaris.  You all ran great.

Z  and Allison- enjoy your rest days

AFM:  I did way too much sitting, talking and eating this weekend.  It is always fun talking with trail friends, but exhausting when you are as asocial as I am. One couple left our house this morning; two more friends are coming tonight.  In the meantime, I should have a few hours to wash sheets and do a run.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Back from Chicago. Tough race since it was close to 80F when I finished so I was glad to get a 7 minute course PR, even though it was not close to the time I know I can do.  Anyway, Pilates tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Congrats to Mitch and Allison!  I need to catch up on the RRs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Hi pens! I've had my coffee and my legs are feeling as reasonable as I can expect post-race, will probably head out for a couple of easy miles to shake 'em out in a bit.

I was so tired yesterday I forgot to play the McMillan prediction game with my new PR! 22:40 5K predicts a 1:44:57 half - I believe I have a new spring goal! Meeting with my coach sometime this week or next to start sketching out goals/training for next spring, I had been clinging to the idea of a spring marathon but now I'm thinking I'll put it off in favor of a faster half, and then if things go *really* well in the spring maybe shoot directly for BQ as my A goal at a flat/fast fall marathon (Baystate, probably - no traveling required). I just need to not have any freak accidents or minor surgeries messing up my 2016 plans!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Z, Allison, D - enjoy your rest days

Lauren - what are you doing in the penguin thread speedy lady?  =P  BQ on first marathon would be so awesome!!

AFM - 5ish soon after some yoga and rolling.  If that feels okay then the 20 miler is on for tomorrow.  I set aside a 4 hour block just for running tomorrow in either case.  (Yay penguin speed!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Morning Pens!

Z, Allison, D - enjoy your rest days

Lauren - what are you doing in the penguin thread speedy lady?  =P  BQ on first marathon would be so awesome!!

AFM - 5ish soon after some yoga and rolling.  If that feels okay then the 20 miler is on for tomorrow.  I set aside a 4 hour block just for running tomorrow in either case.  (Yay penguin speed!)

Klompus patented the "BQ Your Debut" method instead of just talking about it and he stayed in the igloo too! Smile Speaking of, where has he been lately??

GL if you go ahead with the 20 miler tomorrow!

PADRunner

15 done this morning for me.

Philliefan33

{stepping out of the shadows with a little wave}

Hi everyone, remember me?  I haven't posted in over a year, but I'm back. I wish I had an exciting story to explain my sudden departure, but I don't. The truth is that in the summer of 2014, I was having a bit of stress/mid-life crisis that was turning me into a b*tch. To change things up and focus on important people and things close to me, I quit the Internet cold turkey. It helped for a while, but the real issue was that I was hating my job. I took care of that problem by opting for early retirement this April. I've had a summer full of relaxing and fun days.  My batteries are recharged and I've caught the running bug again.

After 18 months of sporadic running and dwindling mileage, I'm starting almost from the beginning. I can only manage about 3 miles at a time and run every other day.  I'm slower than ever, but working on building up the miles. I know my pace will improve as I run more. I've been here lurking occasionally for a couple of weeks-- thought it only polite to show myself.

My first impression as I reacquaint myself with you all is Wow!  There is some serious mileage being logged and some pretty impressive paces. Good job!

3.4 miles done this morning.

LRB

{stepping out of the shadows with a little wave}

Hi everyone, remember me? 

Yes! Welcome back!

From the Internet.

HI PHILLIE! Big grin Glad to see you around again!

LRB

Klompus patented the "BQ Your Debut" method instead of just talking about it and he stayed in the igloo too! Smile Speaking of, where has he been lately??

His running has been a struggle, he is one who does not like to be around running talk when that is the case.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

My fiveish went okay so looks like I'm on for the 20 miler tomorrow.

I just saw this and thought it was really cute :-) I think that's way cooler than a normal wedding!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)