Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins! (Read 24 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

What up guys?  My mileage has been down the last two weeks.  I'm trying to rectify that this week.  Also, we're supposed to finally warm up a bit, which is crazy.  We got 6 more inches of snow last night with high winds.  So, we have new snow drifts.  I bet the front yard is 3 feet deep.  I just hope that when it gets above freezing, we don't get flooding in our area.  Luckily, we're on a hill.  I've avoided running outside because the corners are dangerous.  The city is going around with a front end loader to pick up snow from the corners, because the giant piles are making for terrible blind spots.  Either way, I'm excited to have a bit of warmer weather.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning! It's only Tuesday?

I don't know how you guy's deal with all that snow.

Another 30 on the elliptical this morning and looking for a run walk strategy to try to salvage my half this weekend.

Bin Running

Morning Awood. We missed you.

2RD in a row. Insufficient sleep with a mild flu made me weak. Hope to get some run tmr. Short week for me as I'm flying to Indonesia for DW boss wedding. Not sure if running is an option there.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry snow folks, it will be 81 degrees in San Antonio today!  I am leaving work early for a routine hospital appointment at Brooke Army Medical Center on Fort Sam Houston - since this is my birth month the military system schedules all my annual appointments during this month - and then will head over to the gym to get some miles in and all this sunshine.  Probably do one of my hill routes today.

Thanks for starting us off, Awood!  Hope you get your warmer weather!  You're out there shoveling snow and I had to mow my lawn yesterday cuz with all the nice weather we've had the grass started growing like crazy again!  The differences between certain states!

PAD, you don't have any snow to deal with either?  That must be nice!  Well, I have to do run/walk because of my arthritis, nonstop running is just way too hard on my spine now.  You just have to go out and experiment and see what combination of minutes running/minutes walking works for you.   In my case it's 8 minutes running, 2 minutes walking.   Good luck!

Sorry about the flu and lack of sleep, Bin!  When do you fly to Indonesia?  Why wouldn't running be an option there?  I do recall, however, when I was in Turkey when we military guys went out to run in the city of Adana during the summer when it was warm and we were wearing running shorts we had to stay in certain areas only of the city - usually right around the university area where it was more 'modernized' -  because of religious strictures,  etc, where the wearing of shorts and showing legs was frowned upon.  Always good to learn the local customs and laws of where you are before going out!  Foreign jail is no fun.  Not that I've had any personal experience of foreign jails...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning AWood, PAD, Bin, Scotty and Pengs.  Newsflash...It's going above freezing today in Chicago AND there were no shootings in Chicago last weekend, except for one robbery victim who shot himself in the foot defending himself.

4 or 5 for us after work.

Have a great day !!!

Bin Running

Scotty, I think short might be ok. I am more worried abt no proper pavement for running in safety. Haven't google  if the hotel has any TM. Will be packing running gear anyway.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 3 miles yesterday, 3.3 this morning. Legs have been oddly achy when not running but totally fine while running, so I'm just rolling with it for now. Off to talk to middle school kids about DNA and science in a few minutes - stage fright is setting in D: I put together a short talk on how we use our knowledge of DNA and cell division principles to make transgenic mice, hopefully they'll think it's cool and it won't totally go over their heads!

tracilynn

I cant imagine all that snow awood. Enough to cause blind spots? Wow.  It's been a snowy year.

feel better soon bin!

scotty, 81 is nice. I think our high today is 68 and sunny. About perfect 

jerry, you're funny

pad, damaris will prob have a walk run recommendation for you.

my pukey kid is better so we will head to the gym today and I will hit the TM for some easy miles And maybe  upper body and core workout.  Woohoo

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Have fun Lauren!  Sounds awesome. I worked in genetics research first 8 years out of college. Kids are so smart,  I bet they will get it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Hey there!  Back to rainy, windy Oregon winter weather here.  Got my 10 in last night, and have 6 easy planned for today.

Awood- Good to see you in here again!  That TM turned out to be a good purchase for you guys!

PAD- Run/walk sounds like a good strategy.  I hope you are able to enjoy your HM this weekend after all the work you've put in!

Bin- Hope you're feeling better and that you guys have a good trip!

Scotty- Enjoy the sunshine for all of us today!

Jerry- OMG break out the bermuda shorts!

Lauren- I am sure you will do great in your presentation!

Traci- Have a good time at the gym!

hog4life

Scotty, you would have a good time shaking your rump at the Rumpshaker, ha.

Jimmy, did you see my comment on the repeats? Make any sense?

Awood, I think we hit 60 yesterday, of course all the snow from last week is gone. Hope you can get out there soon. We should start thinking of a plan on how to run Oak Barrel. I would like to see you go for the AG award, so maybe we just meet before and after.

Pad, I choked trying the elliptical, guess I'm too uncoordinated for it.

Bin, I bet you can find some running time. How long will you be visiting?

Jerry, glad to hear you're getting some warmer temps.

Today is a XT day or easy run. I haven't decided yet. Legs are still feeling that workout from yesterday.

hog4life

Hi ladies that snuck in, Lauren, Traci, Zel.

Been keeping my running trail snowblowed.  It is a 1/3 mile loop in a field.  The sides are about 2.5 feet tall.  The width is about 2.5 feet also.  Not hitting my arms yet on the sides, but we are getting more snow today.  Starting to look a bit like a bobsled run.  But at least I'm getting in my 3 mile runs about four days a week.

on my way to badass

Hi Penguins! Just a quick drop in. Scotty- 81f is just too warm. Mitch- 61F is more my style. I managed to come down with a virus 5 days ago and I am just now on the mend. No running for a few days. In a day or 2 it will be getting near 40F! Woot! I start training for my first 10K. Following the Train Like a Mother Own it plan. I may have to trade track intervals for hills but I hope to stick pretty close to the plan. Oh, I got new shoes. NB 860 V.4. V3 worked well and I really liked v.4 at the store.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28