Beginners and Beyond

Let's talk chafing! (Read 128 times)

Zelanie

Because what else do runners like to talk about when they get together, right?

Have you ever had a piece of clothing suddenly start chafing after you'd had it for a while?  Even if it didn't show visible wear?

My favorite favorite running shorts, that I've had for a year and a half, have suddenly started chafing around the waistband when I wear them for long runs.  I figured maybe they were wearing out, but I checked them and I don't see any wear at all.  So I was wondering if that has happened to anybody else?

The other possibility is that maybe I have never worn them for long runs and not noticed?  It wasn't until October last year that I was regularly getting over 6 miles.  Maybe by the time I was actually running that far, I was wearing my tights instead?  And of course I am only recently back to LRs this year.  So maybe I just always was wearing something else when it happened to be LR day?

Love the Half

I can wear my shirts up to about 5 miles and have no problems.  After that point, and it is brand irrelevant, I need to use some Vaseline on my nips or it gets quite uncomfortable.  My guess is just that you are running longer in them.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I chafe mostly when it is not super humid so the same piece would chafe in December but not in August.  i find that sweat is the best antichafe. I mean buckets of sweat.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Will run for scenery.

I had a bad case of chafing happen "all of a sudden" with my favorite shorts, on the inner thigh.  Best I can tell, it was b/c I didn't have them on exactly right (seam was rolled over ?).  Subsequent runs re-triggered the chafing until I let it completely heal.  That was a year ago and I still use the same shorts.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Philliefan33

It's probably related to the distance.  I don't have to worry much when my runs are 5 miles or less, but for longer runs I need some Body Glide in certain places.

I once got sore on the inside of my arms from a new tank top, when my arms brushed a seam during my arm swing.  I think I ran the last two miles of that run with my arms flapping out like a chicken Sad.

Hip Redux

Have you lost weight and the shorts are fitting differently?   If not, then I think it's a distance thing.

I have certain pieces of clothing that just move too much for longer runs and I will find myself in the shower cursing all my new found sores!

RSX

2 years ago I started chafing whether I was running or doing weights so noticed I was sweating more in that area anyway. Once I discovered compression shorts problem solved.

LRB

I am pretty good up to the 80 minute/10 mile mark, but once I past 90 minutes and/or approach 2 hours and more, all kinds of weird things may chafe if I do not take proper precaution.

It is why I run long in the exact same socks, singlet, shorts and underwear that I plan to run a half marathon or marathon in because you just never know what is waiting for you in the latter stages of those distances wearing new or unfamiliar gear.

Last year, I had issues with my nips, armpits and even a blister on my toe when I ran 18+ miles, none of which were a problem for anything shorter wearing some of the same garb.

On a related note; I forgot my nip band-aids a couple of weeks ago on a 13 mile run, and now have to wear them for every run regardless of the distance as a result, hmph.  >:-/

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I had my first case of raw nipple (singular) on Sunday at my HM. Not bloody raw, just a little stingy.  Damned nike miler tank, I didn't like how it sat on training runs and this race just proves it.

I have never had an issue shirt wise before, whether it be 1 mile in 108F or 20+ miles at 40-85F...

Little Blue

It is why I run long in the exact same socks, singlet, shorts and underwear that I plan to run a half marathon or marathon in because you just never know what is waiting for you in the latter stages of those distances wearing new or unfamiliar gear.

I passed a very uncomfortable guy in a HM once.  He was duck walking in new shorts, about mile 9.  He could run for maybe a minute, then he had to walk because *something* was chafing.   Yeee--ouch!

LRB

I passed a very uncomfortable guy in a HM once.  He was duck walking in new shorts, about mile 9.  He could run for maybe a minute, then he had to walk because *something* was chafing.   Yeee--ouch!

Unfortunately the same thing happened to me running during Detroit last year, although I ran through it.  My longest run in them was 16 miles, and I thought I was good.  Not.

I actually took Vaseline on a stick from one of the volunteers around mile 20 to no avail.  And yeah, that refreshing post-race shower that we all look forward to, was anything but!

Zelanie

Hmm, interesting.  I guess I thought once clothing was on the "safe" list that it was good.  Good to know!

slowrunningjulie

I think that it has more to do with heat and humidity than with distance. I got my worst chafing EVER on a seven mile run. It was so bad that I couldn't run for a week. I was wearing a pair of shorts that I had been wearing for months with no problem and routinely run longer than seven miles. But it was the middle of summer and heat and humidity were high. Think about what happens when you blanche a piece of fruit - put heat and humidity on it and the skin peels right off.

My advice is, if you have a chafing episode with a piece of gear, limit that piece to shorter runs (3-5 miles) and always make sure to wear your Body Glide. Also consider compression shorts. I have not had any chafing issues since I switched to them.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRB

Hmm, interesting.  I guess I thought once clothing was on the "safe" list that it was good.  Good to know!

Nope, once it's deemed safe we need to now find out up to what distance it is safe!  That being the case, I am happy to report that my chosen singlet(s) for this years marathon is so far safe up to 15 miles.  I will probably not run 20 miles this cycle, but usually the 15 mile mark (two hours), is a good indicator one way or the other.

LRB

I think that it has more to do with heat and humidity than with distance.

There is some truth to that.

I got a toe blister wearing the same socks and shoes I had always worn, the only difference that day was is was hot, and sticky, icky, icky. Of course, a short run in the same conditions would likely have yielded no problems, but that it was a 20 mile run, it did. So distance can be a factor sometimes, but yes, heat and moisture often play a bigger role.