Beginners and Beyond

Salisbury Half Marathon race report (Read 34 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Summary

2:21:40. Not where I hoped to be, but about as good as I could do given the lousy conditions and needing to be able to drive 3 hours home in worse conditions.

Pre-Race Stuff

I ran this the first year it was held (2018). There were 3 things that would change for future races–more POPs at the start, an earlier start time (8am to 7am) and change the race date to early April vs late April. I had all but written doing the race again due to the start time. Then the pandemic happened, I started working from home and have continued to do so 3 days per week and almost enjoy starting runs those days before 7am. I’ve complained enough about the weather, but having done the race year 1, knowing the history made the lousy conditions a little more annoying and leave me wondering what I need to sacrifice to the weather gods. 

I woke up a little earlier than planned by the alarm clock in the room that I did not set. Got up and walked down to the lobby for coffee and to check the weather outside. At 5:45am, it was warm. The front desk guy looked at me like I was a weirdo when I came back in. I had brought a tank, short sleeve, long sleeve & arm sleeves and shorts and capris, so I could come up with whatever combo seemed best. I went with a short sleeve & shorts. I considered bringing  the sleeves just in case, but skipped them. Despite my big score at the Nike Clearance Outlet, I did not wear the Vaporflies. Not sure how they would do in rain and I know my trusty Wave Riders are reasonable enough in wet weather.

I had brought breakfast with me, bagel & egg bites. I drank a fair amount of water and also popped an ibuprofen for female reasons (I know this is not advised before running, I don’t do it often). The last time I ran this, the POP situation was a cluster, so my plan was to use my personal bathroom with indoor plumbing as long as possible and time my walk to the race to just before the start. I probably did that a little too well. 

My running game co-captain had told me he had 2 friends pacing and to say hi. One was pacing the 4:20 group, I secretly was thinking 2:10 would be in reach if conditions were right. I did not get a chance and never saw the 4:20 group or the 1:40 group the other was pacing. 

Race

The schedule showed a 7:05 start, the physically challenged athletes were to start at 7am. I guess that changed, cause we all started at 7am. In the brief pre-race announcements, the RD made a comment about the wind holding off. It wasn’t long before I could hear it. Mile 1 was rather crowded, especially going over the footbridge across the river. I had made the decision earlier in the week that with the 65+ degree temps, the chance of overheating was pretty high, so back to run/walk. Not how I trained, but I know that in warm weather, I will be done by mile 6, which is a problem in a 13.1 mile race. By the end of mile 1, I was already sweating, which was not ideal. My legs were also heavy. 

I could hear the wind picking up more in mile 3, but at that point, I was still in a bit of a sheltered area with tall trees and houses. Then I turned the corner to mile 4.  The mile marker & POP had both blown over. This was also in a wide open field and the head wind was brutal. I took off my visor and held it because I wasn’t sure it would stay on. I would up putting it back on when a short downpour came through. 

Around mile 6, the 5 hour pacer went by me like I was standing still. WTF? I had the run/walk screen up on the watch, so I really had no clue how much time had gone by, but from the splits I had seen (and running a 5 hour full), I knew that something was very off. He didn’t have a group, so have to wonder if there was some reason he needed to get off the course quickly? That was a bit demoralizing until I did some quick math that given the mile times I had seen, there was no way I should be slower than 2:30

Sometime after mile 6, I was debating using the POP for those mentioned female reasons. I decided it wasn’t something I wanted to bother with–I did not want to be in one when it blew over and if there was a problem, black shorts & rain should be enough.

Mile 7 or 8, I started seeing lots of markings for the Seagull Century on Cobourne Mill Rd. For some reason, it gave me a little “almost there” energy, even though that was not the case. I at least knew I was close to the Salisbury University Campus (and when you’ve ridden 98 miles, the last mile or 2 go much quicker than running). I got a nice break from the wind at mile 9 going through the stadium complex. There was a fair amount of traffic into a parking garage (huh, that was not there 25 years ago). Then there was a lot of foot traffic near the tunnel to the campus for 8 something am on a weekend. The tunnel was loud, the women’s soccer team was in there cheering, which was a nice pick me up. I also found out all the car traffic and foot traffic was for some sort of newly admitted students’ day being held in the gym (first building out of the tunnel). Good planning. That said, the volunteers did a good job of keeping the racers on one side and new students to the other. The tunnel was a dividing line in the center, so there is a visual. There are also posts at the entrance points to keep vehicle traffic out. 

Mile 10 was more wind. I was basically ticking off the time until the split just before the HM and full split at mile 11. Made the right turn and was thinking ok, 2 more miles. And I heard the first unmistakeable rumble of thunder. Well, crap.The wind also shifted somewhere in mile 11. It wasn’t quite a headwind, but it definitely changed directions and had the feel of a storm rolling in. The thunder got a little closer and the rain started. First it was just enough to be annoying.  At mile 12, there was a final water stop with DJ. The DJ clearly had spent some time on the playlist. As I was approaching,Lady Gaga’s Rain on Me was playing. I sometimes listen to this on the treadmill, so a bit of a pick me up. Next song, Walking on Sunshine. It was shortly that the skies really opened. The initial surge of rain was blowing straight at me, felt cold and stung. By that point, I was 2 turns from the end. Picked it up the best I could, finished on the uphill, which is cruel.

Post Race

I grabbed a water, Gatorade, granola bar & rice krispie treat and wasted no time getting back to my hotel (at most a 5 minute walk). Shortly after getting into my room, there was thunder loud enough to shake the room. 

I’ve had to say this after far too many HMs, but this was probably about as good as I could hope for given the conditions. I know my training was light on runs over 90 minutes, but that was intentional. If I use Daniels 2Q as a rough guide in the future, I’ll probably add an easy 90 minute run into the mix. 

I was a bit surprised to see the race did not divert all runners at the HM/full split who came through after I did. I always thought thunder was a hard no for events.

I came home to a surprise from DH. He wanted to paint the closet doors in the spare bedroom/gym, but I had command hooks with race medals on them. His solution:

Docket_Rocket

Great result given the conditions! Congrats!

And love your DH surprise.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I've raced too many times in rain ( I am kind of bad luck that way) but never raced in t storms. Not sure if that would have slowed me down or sped me up. That wind sounds brutal. I love your hubby's surprise. Congratulations!!!!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

GinnyinPA

No matter what the RD decided to do, people would be upset. If the thunderstorm only lasted a few minutes, then the runners would want to finish their races. OTOH, if it lasted a while or if someone got hurt, then people would be asking why it wasn't cancelled. Personally, I would probably want to continue after spending months training for it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Gunny, there was at least 45 minutes between when I first heard thunder and the one that shook the hotel.  I still took a shower,  so could have been longer.  I saw a race report from someone who did the full and lightning was seen. One of the options the RD mentioned was pulling volunteers,  which I would have supported.  Water and gatorade would have been self serve. The loop the marathoners do after the split is in a fairly rural area, so if things went bad,  there really isn't a place to go.

sdWhiskers

Nice job getting to the finish in one piece! I hardly ever contend with rain during a race, and certainly no thunder.

I feel like you haven't had a good race in ages, you are definitely due! What's next on your calendar?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

HCK - Nice race and report.  Good job managing in those conditions.  I like your husband's solution to your medal collection.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27