Beginners and Beyond

Find me a marathon (Read 47 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Since I have come up with a hypothesis that I suck at marathons because I have so little experience with them, I feel the need to run another one before Boston next year (and if I miss the cutoff for that, I guess I'll have to run for charity).  I was thinking of either CIM or Jacksonville, but the latter is on Saturday, so never mind that, and the former is a week or two earlier than I'd ideally like, though I may give in on that if nothing else is better.

I want something that is not necessarily flat; I like gentle rolling hills better than pancake flat.  Ideal date would be either in mid- to late October, or middle of December, Sundays only.  And while I don't like cold, I don't think I can run a very good fast marathon in heat and humidity (which is why West Palm Beach is out).  If I can avoid crossing time zones, that would be great; even better if it was in the Northeast.

Does my dream race exist??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Atlantic City in October?

Docket_Rocket

I was going to say do NOT choose West Palm Beach but you got it covered.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Philadelphia is November. So is Bucks County, but that may be too flat for you. Indianapolis Monumental?

LRB

I wouldn't consider the hills at CIM rolling. To me, you were either going up, or down, and not much in-between.

Based on your criteria, I would vote for the Columbus Marathon. Sunday October 21st.

Docket_Rocket

Indy is the same weekend as the NYCM and is great.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Indy is usually on a Saturday. No bueno.

Docket_Rocket

Indy is usually on a Saturday. No bueno.

Shit I forgot. I hardly ever race on a saturday so I forget the ones that are. Grrrr.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm sticking with Mohawk-Hudson River.  This year, it's on Oct. 7th (only a week earlier than your date criteria).  Net downhill, with some small rolling hills early, but nice, flat, and fast after mile 17.  About as local as you can get.  VERY easy logistics - I sat on the grass next to my target pacer until a couple minutes before gun time.  Your 3:30 performance at Boston I would say is a low 3:20's at MHR easy IMO (assumes no epic storms).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

bluerun

Super B****

Bahaha I thought Mohawk-Hudson sounded perfect... then I realized it’s the same day as Paine to Pain, for which I’m already registered.  Oof.

chasing the impossible

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Bahaha I thought Mohawk-Hudson sounded perfect... then I realized it’s the same day as Paine to Pain, for which I’m already registered.  Oof.

Since when did you start playing in dirt?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

delicate flower

I have never done the Newport Marathon (Rhode Island), but I hear it's a great event.  Sunday 10/7.

https://newportmarathon.com/

I see last year's female winner ran a 3:27.  Blue, go win this thing!

<3

LRB

I have never done the Newport Marathon (Rhode Island), but I hear it's a great event.  Sunday 10/7.

I'm with BBB.

bluerun

Super B****

Since when did you start playing in dirt?

I love that race!  I had to DNS last year because I was injured and it broke my heart.  And I opted out of the VCTC UEC 10K this year because it was too close to Boston; that was the only race I had done every year since 2013, but the streak is broken now.  Sniffle.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

It would be epically cool to win a marathon, but can’t they have it a week or two later??

chasing the impossible