Beginners and Beyond

OMG...what is wrong with me!? (Read 150 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I was checking my weight this morning, and I was happy to see 218.  Feeling pretty good since I was 315 at my largest, but then I looked in the mirror.  There are these weird grooves below my armpits and chest.  Just below that is the weird looking boxy outline.  What is this?  Am I going to live?

I've been doing some research on google, and it appears to be something called "ribs" and "abs".  It appears that a lot of people have it much worse than I do.  How do you deal with this, and is it a result of my diet or my running?  Do I need to increase my intake of simple sugars, and take a cutback year?  I'm just freaking out because it doesn't appear to be genetic.  The rest of my family seems to have been spared this trait.  My mom says that I look too thin, and unhealthy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Have you started getting the "Anorexia" comments yet? I got those when I hit around 210. I started around 250, so I hadn't really changed a great deal.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Worse...someone asked if I had a "tapeworm".

Have you started getting the "Anorexia" comments yet? I got those when I hit around 210. I started around 250, so I hadn't really changed a great deal.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

B-Plus

Sorry, I have no idea. I just wanted to congratulate you on your amazing weight loss!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

BTW, you're doing great. You should be proud of you accomplishment!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Luke79

My official and completely unqualified medical recommendation is simple.  Intake large quantities of hot pockets and mountain dew.  After about 30 days, I promise those unsightly "ribs" and "abs" will no longer be an issue.

Dr. Luke

You might see a doctor about that. He will probably tell you to take 2 donuts & call him in the morning.

Dave

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks guy!

Luke, I'll head to Sam's Club and see if I can buy a crate of the Hot Pockets.  Do I need a prescription for those?

Also, does anybody know if I need a note from my doctor to use the motorized shopping cart?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awesome.  The nearest donut shop also sells chinese food.  I can eat the donuts and be hungry for more in just 30 minutes.  I always know that I can count on the people here for the best advice.

You might see a doctor about that. He will probably tell you to take 2 donuts & call him in the morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

YAYpril - B-Plus

Too funny. Smile Congratulations on your weight loss. That's great!!

Luke, LOL.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just keep your shirt on.

MrNamtor

All that running and eating right is going to wind up killing you in 50-60 years if you don't stop.

Now a serious piece of advice (to anyone losing a lot of weight) - buy new clothes. Anyone looks underweight and sick if they are wearing over sized clothes, particularly if their collars are too big for them.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

+1 I've been donating my clothes, and buying new.  It's weird to buy clothes that don't have an X anywhere in the size.

All that running and eating right is going to wind up killing you in 50-60 years if you don't stop.

Now a serious piece of advice (to anyone losing a lot of weight) - buy new clothes. Anyone looks underweight and sick if they are wearing over sized clothes, particularly if their collars are too big for them.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Luke79

I cannot emphasize enough the benefits of a well fitting shirt.  I feel 10x better and I could use all the shape flattery I can get lol.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Awesome thread Smile

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them