Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race No 3 - Eagle Harriers 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Full report below

Photos Only Slideshow

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20No%203%20Eagle%20Harriers%205K?sort=2 

Before My Start

My 3rd race of 2017 was the Eagle Harriers 5K on Jan 7th, supporting the running team of the Brackenridge High School Eagle Harriers. Brackenridge High School, one of the oldest schools in San Antonio, is celebrating this year its 100th anniversary. On Jan 5, when I went to get my packet I had a surprise from the people - friends of mine - who made the race shirts for this event  They know I prefer 'tech shirts' over other types of race shirts; so in my packet they had put a special race tech-tee singlet just for me. How nice!  I was very surprised and very pleased to get this race shirt from my friends at local race management company iaapweb.com, A very special thanks to my friend Cecilia Iniguez, I see her hand in this.

Race start time of 9 a.m.  Race location about a 20-minute drive from where I live, so was able to sleep in a bit on race day, nice. Arrived at the high school with about 40 minutes to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.  This was a relatively small event with maybe a hundred or so people.  Temperature was pretty cooperative, around 57 degrees at 9 a.m., cloudy/overcast, a bit humid (93%), and very little wind.

With my friend and fellow Team RWB (Red White and Blue) member, Ralph.  Wearing a race shirt given to me at my New Year's Day 5k by friend Lisa Soler, and made especially for me.  Love this shirt and it worked great today in the race too.  I have really good friends who take care of me.  Thank you!

With friends Lana H. (left) and Ceci of iaapweb.  Ceci, thank you so much for the special race singlet for this race!

With speedy Ed - who is in my age group - and my longest running friend, Bernadette.

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

On The Course

Cours was out-and-back. Start and finish in one of the parking lots of Brackenridge High School.  The school is adjacent to part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, so we went from the parking lot across a short field to the Riverwalk paved trail. Once on the Riverwalk, we headed South along part of the Mission Reach section of the Riverwalk - called that, because the trail, if you go far enough, takes you to  the old Spanish Missions in San Antonio.  A nice and scenic little part of the Riverwalk, and very peaceful too as there are no shoppes, restaurants or tourists down in this area. Makes for a very nice and peaceful Sunday morning outing - or any day for that matter.  A couple of small hills along the way, but nothing really serious, easy to negotiate. I ended up with 32:58 time, good enough for 3rd in my age group.  My friend Speedy Ed was 1st in our age group.

Kinda blurry, but this is the bridge we crossed twice

I don't think the guy and the dog were in the race, but they were among us.  The course was open to other Riverwalk users

My friend Anthony heading back to the finish.  That marker is the 2-mile marker.

Bernadette heading to the finish

Turn-round point volunteers.  What, no beer?  

Dang, blurred this one too...heading up the hill as I start making my way to the finish

Standing in the middle of the bridge taking these photos before I do the last bit to the finish

After that, on to the finish, with one brief stop to give my dog pal Howie a treat on the way back.  Howie was a course marshal with his human.

After My Finish

Stood by the finish line and got a few people coming in after me

Convenient parking close to race start/finish area.  Walked back to my car, put on a dry base layer under my race shirt to be more comfortable and then wandered around taking some After Photos.  Lots of nice post-race goodies too, that included Kiolbassa sausage wraps, donuts, energy bars, water and gatorade, and various other stuff.

School running coach is in the yellow jacket and white hat

Two of my very speedy friends

These two ladies are organizers of the MLK 5K, which I will be doing on Jan 14.  Today they had some time so did this 5K, nice.

My speedy friend, first in his age group.   Age Group award was an Eagles coffee cup with some special coffee blend packets inside the cup.

Bernadette, as usual won her age group

Do these two look like mother-and-daughter? They look more like sisters to me, lol.  That is one young looking mother.

Epilogue

This was the first time I've ever done this event. For a smaller event definitely well organized, really nice race shirts - and the shirt people made a 'special' one for me, awww, so nice! - beautiful course, unique age group awards, which were given to the first 3 in each age group and to the overall winners, and lots of nice post-race goodies. Good cause in supporting our up-and-coming future adult runners - who knows, might even have a future Olympian in there someday.  Also great time of year to have it as there are very few Sunday morning races in our local area in January.  This one is definitely a hidden gem of a race and really deserves more attention.  Definitely would recommend this one to do.  Hope our local area runners/walkers pay attention and this one grows in the future.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for we participants.  Brackenridge High School running coach and team, and the school officials; all the sponsors; the one lone police officer that was there out for us, iaapweb company for the course set-up, timing, results, race shirts, etc; and, of course, all the volunteers that participated in helping get this one done, as well as anyone I may have not mentioned.  Thank you all very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt