Beginners and Beyond

HRM strap chafing (Read 27 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Before I got a 620, I was using the regular old Garmin strap.  The chafing was terrible (probably partly because it was always too big no matter what I did to it).  I figured this problem wouldn't be an issue once I got the 620, since I got it with the soft strap.

And it wasn't a problem at first.  But after my marathon last month, I found that it still is an issue.  Not the strap itself, that's fine -- but the tiny bit of the sensor that sticks over the bottom of the strap rubbed my skin raw.  (And that's a particularly inconvenient place to be chafed!)  I'd never run that long before, so I blamed it on that, but I still decided to use Bodyglide from now on.

Except that yesterday it happened again.  Only a half marathon, and with Bodyglide.  I can't cover the spot because then the HRM won't read.  Is there anything other than these obvious solutions that I can do to make this stop happening??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you wear the strap under a sports bra? Last year I had constant xhafing from the HRM strap or sports bra. Once I got some new sports bras that fit snugger in the band, I haven't had  the problem.I wear the HRM under the sports bra, so it is held in place.

bluerun

Super B****

Do you wear the strap under a sports bra? Last year I had constant xhafing from the HRM strap or sports bra. Once I got some new sports bras that fit snugger in the band, I haven't had  the problem.I wear the HRM under the sports bra, so it is held in place.

I do, it's the only way it will stay in place without slipping down... but I don't think I can go any snugger in the band without suffocating myself.  If it were the band, though, wouldn't it chafe all the way around, not just in that ONE spot?

Though now that you mention it -- I do wear the same sports bra for every race (I'm neurotic enough that I marked the label with an "R," don't ask).  And the two times this has happened have both been during races... so maybe I'll try a different bra the next time I do a longer run and see what happens.

chasing the impossible

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had 2 spots that chafed the worst, under my boobs and the center of my back. I don't know what was at fault, the strap or the sports bra. I never had any issues on my sides, so it could be a matter of how everything shifts as you run.

onemile

I've had this. It seems to happen for me when I'm sweating a lot. One of the reasons I quit wearing the thing.

Docket_Rocket

Which strap are you using?  I switched to the classic one because the chafing never went away.

I bought a TomTom Cardio Multisport (the one with the HRM on the wrist) and I don't miss the strap!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Would it still read if you used Vaseline instead of Body Glide?

bluerun

Super B****

The chafing was even worse with the classic strap -- at least with this one it's confined to one spot!  I thought about switching to a Mio band, but then I lose all the data from the HRM-Run strap.  I haven't tried Vaseline because I didn't want to get everything all goopy, but I might have to. 

chasing the impossible