Beginners and Beyond

Who is racing this weekend? Speak up already. (w/e 4/28) (Read 105 times)

monkkey

I am doing the Verrazano Half Marathon in Brooklyn on Saturday and the Run as One 4 miler in Manhattan on Sunday.

I haven't posted in the racing thread, because "race goals" are scary things to think about and even scarier to put in writing.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

GAH!!! The Verrazano Running Festival is the race I was JUST complaining about not doing Sad. I would have  done the 5 or 10K though. Jealous! I live 5 blocks from the starting line. Maybe my boyfriend and I will pass you in the car while driving off to a wedding Sad Good luck  and kick butt!!! The jogging path it is on is where I run  at least some part of all my runs during the week on, and it is pancake flat.Wind down there is a killer though if you're not familiar with that park.

I am doing the Verrazano Half Marathon in Brooklyn on Saturday and the Run as One 4 miler in Manhattan on Sunday.

I haven't posted in the racing thread, because "race goals" are scary things to think about and even scarier to put in writing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

What's your current PR? If I PR'd by 13 minutes I'd hit 2:00:00 on the nose which would rock my socks off, but that ain't happening this weekend. Smile

Current PR in the HM is 2:01:20 set on 10/20/12. So, 6 months of good training and losing 10 lbs hopefully helps me drop to a 1:47:30 or so. That's my "A" goal, but my "B" goal will be 1:52:00.

- Andrew

monkkey

GAH!!! The Verrazano Running Festival is the race I was JUST complaining about not doing Sad. I would have  done the 5 or 10K though. Jealous! I live 5 blocks from the starting line. Maybe my boyfriend and I will pass you in the car while driving off to a wedding Sad Good luck  and kick butt!!! The jogging path it is on is where I run  at least some part of all my runs during the week on, and it is pancake flat.Wind down there is a killer though if you're not familiar with that park.

You're right on!  I ran it a year ago and found the course warm and sunny in one direction and blasting wind in the other.  I actually prefer rolling courses because I find them less monotonous on my legs, but the views from this park are fantastic!  You are lucky to live nearby.

ETA: They didn't have the whole festival a year ago, just the half marathon.

Mmmmm...beer

I never put my 5k on the April thread either, doh.  Independence Middle School 5k on Saturday, sub-20 or catastrophic failure! Big grin  First race with my new Type A5 race flats, they felt great on an easy 2.62 mile run for Boston on Monday night, crazy light!

Good luck everyone!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yeah the flatness is why I only run part of every run on the path, unless I need an easy day. The rest of Bay Ridge is very hilly so I will usually run half the run on  the path and half elsewhere. The flatness of the path wouldn't prepare me for any race except the one on Saturday that I'm unable to run in, lol. Yeah I LOVE the view of the Statue of Liberty and Freedom Tower!!!! Good luck again and have fun....if you need a brunch place for afterwards let me know!

You're right on!  I ran it a year ago and found the course warm and sunny in one direction and blasting wind in the other.  I actually prefer rolling courses because I find them less monotonous on my legs, but the views from this park are fantastic!  You are lucky to live nearby.

ETA: They didn't have the whole festival a year ago, just the half marathon.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

monkkey

Yeah the flatness is why I only run part of every run on the path, unless I need an easy day. The rest of Bay Ridge is very hilly so I will usually run half the run on  the path and half elsewhere. The flatness of the path wouldn't prepare me for any race except the one on Saturday that I'm unable to run in, lol. Yeah I LOVE the view of the Statue of Liberty and Freedom Tower!!!! Good luck again and have fun....if you need a brunch place for afterwards let me know!

I was also going to tell you about (or remind you of) the next race I know of in Shore Road Park, the Keep Bravo Running 5k, but I see you already have a race on 5/19!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Saturday morning....

Saturday evening....

2.6 mile Fun Run..and will probably see these ladies again.....they were there last year too...

A few other 'characters' were there too....this is a fun run done along one of the Fiesta San Antonio parade routes right before a parade starts...

....and margaritas waiting for us at the finish line area!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I wouldn't worry.  I hardly ever have race goals and still list mine!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

I ran a 5k in March that had some kids in it. This one kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old, would stop to walk, and every time he'd hear me come up behind him he'd start sprinting again and pass me, then stop to walk, etc. He kept dodging out in front of me. I kind of wanted to kick him in the face after a few minutes of that.

If that happens to me, I will be talking trash.

When my daughter was around that age she played in an instructional basketball league. They wanted the parents to play them at the end, and I was hobbling with an achilles injury. After it was over, this chocolate faced troublemaker asked my daughter if this slow guy was her dad. I told her that I don't care if this kid changes as an adult, he better not show up at our house for any reason.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

GAH I didn't even KNOW about that. What organization is running it?? Killin me! Yeah I am going down to DC fora race that weekend. Boo.

I was also going to tell you about (or remind you of) the next race I know of in Shore Road Park, the Keep Bravo Running 5k, but I see you already have a race on 5/19!

monkkey

GAH I didn't even KNOW about that. What organization is running it?? Killin me! Yeah I am going down to DC fora race that weekend. Boo.

https://nycruns.com/races/?race=keep-bravo-running

Maybe look for it next year!

edited to fix link

delicate flower

So.  5k planned for Sunday!

Where we eatin after?

<3

YAYpril - B-Plus

Where we eatin after?

My running group (the people running it and the ones cheering us on) are having lunch at Allentown Brew Works on Sunday after the race. I so can't wait. Food is one of the main reasons I run. Smile

delicate flower

My running group (the people running it and the ones cheering us on) are having lunch at Allentown Brew Works on Sunday after the race. I so can't wait. Food is one of the main reasons I run. Smile

I will probably work up a huge appetite standing around holding the wife's stuff while she races.  Big grin

But I am happy to do it.  She's been on the IR long enough, and I'm on camera duty.

<3