Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 54, Taco Trample 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252054%2520Taco%2520Trample%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 54th race of 2019, and my 2nd race after my pace-maker implant surgery this year, after being cleared to run again – was held on October 5 in Floresville, Texas, was the Taco Trample 5K and 10K put on by the Wilson County Road Runners.  Location was a place called The Beer Warehouse – which was not really a warehouse and did not have any beer in it, lol.  Nice building though, with inside A/C and inside restrooms and a large community room where post-race food and drink was served and the awards ceremony was held.  Since I did not exactly know where I was going – even with my phone directional finder, I am still directionally challenged, lol – I left early and still managed to get myself misdirected after I got to Floresville.  Thankfully my wife had worked packet pickup the previous day at the race location, so I called her and she managed to get my confused self to the right place.  I had a little over an hour to go until the 8 a.m. start time so got a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event!

photo IMG_1446_zpsua5iop9s.jpg

photo IMG_1445_zpsdm1pqwt5.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc. photo IMG_1443_zpsqb5a5ntf.jpg

photo IMG_1447_zpsbrhjebdh.jpg

photo IMG_1448_zpsnvviojmi.jpg

photo IMG_1450_zpsigfsz2sy.jpg

photo IMG_1451_zpsm6wbsko7.jpg

photo IMG_1452_zpst4rizm8n.jpg

photo IMG_1453_zpsrxwfxzn2.jpg

photo IMG_1456_zpspptrkoxg.jpg

photo IMG_1457_zpsncqzzvrp.jpg

ON THE COURSE

One of my friends who did this last year told me this course was FLAT – which is a good thing, since I am supposed to be taking it easy this month, just racing and running easy while I get ‘adjusted’ to being active with my pacemaker.  Apparently, though, he did a different course last year, so there were hills.  Not greatly steep hills  like Helotes has, but even so, I could feel them a bit.   So I tried to behave myself by running only the bottom portions of the hills and then taking a couple more walk breaks than I usually do for a 5K, to just walk the steeper upper parts of the hills.  Of course, this increased my finish time – I had anticipated about 36 – 37 minutes – finishing in 39:21, averaging about 12:42 per mile.  The first mile I actually did in 11:54.  Even so, I enjoyed myself, the pacemaker seemed to be performing well and, although I was a bit tired after, I actually felt better for this one post-race, than I did post-race for my first pacemaker event last week.  So I am making progress.   

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_1458_zpszbdzbj8s.jpg

photo IMG_1460_zpsgzttwwhy.jpg

And we are on the course...

photo IMG_1461_zpsdm0lqnhw.jpg

photo IMG_1462_zpsmu5mcewl.jpg

photo IMG_1463_zpsqgzf5yia.jpg

photo IMG_1464_zpsdburydls.jpg

photo IMG_1465_zpsjlisl3vn.jpg

First water stop

photo IMG_1466_zps2mk5chxw.jpg

The majority of hills were in this neighborhood

photo IMG_1467_zpsz72xd1mt.jpg

photo IMG_1468_zpslibhwzqx.jpg

Thank you, volunteer!

photo IMG_1469_zpsyyebbfcl.jpg

photo IMG_1470_zps3p7sd4qw.jpg

photo IMG_1471_zps8484axvz.jpg

photo IMG_1472_zps1p89ctvm.jpg

photo IMG_1473_zpsap8kigox.jpg

photo IMG_1474_zpsnu1vto4f.jpg

Thanks, volunteers

photo IMG_1475_zpstk5yc8sk.jpg

photo IMG_1476_zpsvkkprmgz.jpg

Around this curve, up another hill, and then to the finish line.  Almost done.

photo IMG_1477_zpsnwiprnap.jpg

photo IMG_1478_zpszlo63wuk.jpg

photo IMG_1479_zpsw88hb1ug.jpg

After My Finish

Finisher medals for all and the awards went to 1st place in each age group – my age group was 60 – 99, lol.  Nice post-race spread with two different kinds of tacos, cold beer, water, Gatorade, and other various food choice, enjoyed in that nicely air-conditioned community room.  I did indulge in a cold beer – after first hydrating right after my finish with some water and a small Gatorade I had brought – and that beer and a taco hit the spot.  From the time I finished through the awards ceremony I did wander around here-and-there chatting with friends and taking a few more photos.

These guys did the 10K in the 40 minutes area.  I told them their 10K time was my 5K time, lol.

photo IMG_1480_zpsqerffcmm.jpg

Happy finishers, etc.

photo IMG_1481_zpskfyglnf0.jpg

photo IMG_1482_zpsvivcewhv.jpg

photo IMG_1483_zps8dgraytk.jpg

Our DJ and Race MC

photo IMG_1485_zps5p0uysf9.jpg

photo IMG_1486_zpsbnaioc1f.jpg

2 more 10K finishers. Part of the 10K was on that trail behind them, a 'rails to trails' trail in Floresville.

photo IMG_1487_zpsehjzgmsv.jpg

Two 10K participants heading back to the road part of their course to finish up.

photo IMG_1488_zpsbmybzukq.jpg

Inside the Beer Warehouse

photo IMG_1489_zpssw3buhp3.jpg

photo IMG_1490_zpsikvniny2.jpg

With the Race Director .  Nice job and nice event!  photo IMG_1491_zpsxwmclqhx.jpg

With friend Carolyn...have to behave when I am with her, she is a Bexar County deputy working for the Sheriff's office

photo IMG_1493_zpseegmxbk3.jpg

Modeling the finisher medal all finishers got

photo IMG_1495_zpsely9jjyo.jpg

My friend was first in the 10K 60-99 age group

photo IMG_1497_zpsx8ox34i4.jpg

With the President of Wilson County Road Runners and one of the volunteers.  Thanks so much for a nice event!

EPILOGUE

I have never done this event before, so it was a new course experience for me.  I don’t know how the 10K course was for those folks, as they veered off from we 5K folks at one point, but the 5K course was well thought-out, gave us a nice tour of some of the Floresville area, including part of downtown, and was on nice wide streets with plenty of room for all.  Now that I know there are hills, I need to come back and do this one again next year when I am “completely” active again and improve my time.  So, Ms. Race Director – don’t change the course again!  😉

Thanks to all the folks who made this event happen for we participants:  Wilson County Road Runners; volunteers; all the sponsors; the medical and law enforcement folks out there for us; the Floresville residents and the drivers who were very patient with us on the course; and anyone else I may not have mentioned.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt