Beginners and Beyond

Auckland Marathon (half) RR (Read 47 times)

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Haven't really been around on these forums and don't always have the time to keep up with multiple places/forums BUT I'm posting this for my former dailies friends 

The dailies will know some of the background leading up to this - I had almost a month out in August/September due to injury. 3 sessions with the physio (mainly doing some needling for the calf) and sticking to run-walk most of the time I was at least back running. Then two weeks out from the race I got knocked out with a cold (haven't had one in a few years) and it wasn't super bad but I was exhausted and it lingered on and on. So going into this I didn’t really know what to expect but knew I’d be able to finish. It was just how it was going to play out. I was signed up as a Charity Hero so my entry and a bunch of stuff was covered, provided I raised the minimum $ which I did.

The half started at 6:50 (the full had started at 6) and I’d lined up with the 2hr pacers. That was my best guess at what would strike the balance between reaching and going too easy. It was 16C and 94% humidity, but thankfully overcast. Within a few 100m you turn and hit the first incline. It’s really important to get the first 4-5k right here (more so than usual) because of the undulations. Everyone focuses on the bridge being the challenge but there are some decent burners in that first section. For better or worse I ditched my 9/1 run-walk plan. I’m not sure if it would’ve helped or have been feasible. I was sticking to the 2hr pacers and was pretty much boxed in. Full credit to these two guys pacing. I’d unfairly judged them before we started because they looked young and cocky  but they were pacing well. They had us at +20s or so for the first couple of km, so they were easing everyone in and giving that first section the care it needs. They also did an awesome job on the tangents. As always, about 1-2k in (the first section is all residential streets) there was the impromptu band playing When the saints going marching in. There seemed to be a decent group hanging around our pace but a really nice bunch glued to the pacers like me. Two guys said their last real run was at this last year. So I got the feeling I was in good company - a bunch of us that could normally go way faster but had no delusions about today.

First aid station was around 4K and it was a bit of a shambles. People all over the place, some trying to run through while drinking and others not stopping and it just seemed worse than I remember (it probably wasn’t or maybe there were just that many wanting to run around 2hrs). I had some catching up to do after that, as awesome as the pacers were they weren’t doing aid stations. So I had a corner to get around and then a slow climb and amazingly I did catch them during that without pushing too much. The next aid station was at 8k and I tried to pull away from the pacers before this one in the hope I wouldn’t have to work as much to catch back up to the pacers after. I don’t know how well it worked. Every aid station basically involved me taking a sip of Powerade and getting in water and dumping water over my head  the next aid station was at 10.5k (so halfway) and I tried to get my gel in at this point. From here you hit the busway on the motorway and there’s nowhere for an aid station until the other side of the bridge. The pacers had gradually been getting us up to 2hr pace and slightly over. We’d averaged out well by that point but trying to catch them again after the 10.5k mark was feeling like a bit too much effort, especially with people weaving in and out. I suspect the pacers had picked up the pace slightly too in prep for the bridge. I think around 12K I decided I was just going to let it go. I could’ve dug deep, the wheels weren’t exactly coming off, but it didn’t seem worth it. Just before 14K we hit the harbour bridge and the awesome Japanese drummers who are always there. It always gives me a bit of a chill  the bridge is a looong climb and you’re on the outside so there’s camber. It was a bit much for me this year with the lack of training so I took 2 brief walk breaks. One of the guys that’d been sticking to the pacers passed me during one of the walk breaks (doh) and said “almost there”. Then we had the down and then hit the next burner of a hill that most people forget is coming. Took another walk break on that . The HR was up there so I felt justified in my walking  we came around the corner off that hill and I think the angle of the turn burst a blister I thought I’d picked up somewhere before halfway. We came around under the bridge and had a great breeze coming off the harbour. Next aid station the lady was calling out our names which was nice. The final 4K after that involved a ton of people dropping around me and death marching. I knew my pace had dropped a bit but I was going with that rather than walking. There was one more aid station which I didn’t need but I took a walk break there and dumped a cup of water over my head. The final 2k you finally get some entertainment and the final km generally has the streets lined with spectators. I didn’t want to sprint hard but probably picked up a little for a strong finish. Rather than finish on the road, this year they had us continue up a bit further and then turn into the park for a finish on the grass. I was dubious but it worked well. Before the final turn in I heard some yelling for SPCA and saw who I think is our team captain jumping up and down with her sign. I did some massive fist pumps in the air in response.

I figured I’d faded back to a 2:05 but crossed in 2:03. The other half decided to come in to see me finish but once again failed to see me in that final km! (The only time he’s succeeded was when I did the full.) Cell service was pretty rubbish but eventually he got to me at the SPCA tent where they had a bunch of dogs for us (I’m not really a dog person).

Anyway I’m content enough with that. Given the lead up I think I still gave enough for it to feel like I worked but didn’t go nuts enough that I was in pain. Barely a squeak out of the calf/shin. And I’ve earned my roadster status - I get a permanent race number. If I hadn’t done the marathon that time I would’ve got roadster status last year. Slightly frustrating that you have do to 5 HMs or 5 fulls but can’t use a mix.

[I have some photos from after the race but can't work out how to add them here ]

PBs: 23:10 (5K), 49:20 (10K), 1:49:07 (HM - gun time), 4:11:41 (M)

oldfartrunner

Nicely done Twisted!   Lifetime race #, how cool is that!   When is the other half going to get it together?  So glad you are on the mend and wish you continued success!

Loading pics is harder here. I had to go to a photo share site, load the pics and then copy and paste. If you do that keep your images set to private, but once they are out, they can still be copied. Smile Someone else might know another way?

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Thanks!

I did tell him he didn't need to come in! At least when I did the full he was right up by the barrier with 1K to go. The year before that in the half I was almost head-to-toe in fluro and he didn't see me 

Docket_Rocket

Nice race!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Given the lead up, you did great!  Hopefully your injuries will settle down and the next one will be less drama Wink

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Given the lead up, you did great!  Hopefully your injuries will settle down and the next one will be less drama Wink

Agreed 

Coastal

You came back from the leg/foot issue that had you sidelined and did great.  I echo LM's thoughts and hope the injuries go away.

Twisted!  How did I miss your RR? 

You did great. So freakin cool you get a permanent race number! Hope your injuries go away 100%

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Twisted!  How did I miss your RR? 

You did great. So freakin cool you get a permanent race number! Hope your injuries go away 100%

How did you??? 

Thanks! I'm waiting for the website to update so I can apply for my number. Race rego opens at the end of the month for next year - usually it's not until April

RunningOnSand

Dude!!! I always love reading your RR's. Nicely done. And congrats on your roadster status. Big grin

oldfartrunner

How did you??? 

Thanks! I'm waiting for the website to update so I can apply for my number. Race rego opens at the end of the month for next year - usually it's not until April

Hopefully not 666.  That would be a "beastly" number.

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Hopefully not 666.  That would be a "beastly" number.

So perfectly appropriate?  Nah, looking at all the numbers that have already been assigned it won't be that.

And HI ROS!

RunningOnSand

So perfectly appropriate?  Nah, looking at all the numbers that have already been assigned it won't be that.

And HI ROS!