Beginners and Beyond

First Weekend of Spring Penguins! (Read 20 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hi pens!  I am still doing fine at the conference.  Legs even had another 8.5 in them last night- something is going right there.  Today I have the last few sessions of the conference and then we finally get to head home.

The problem is, a lot of people seem to have food poisoning.  About 1/3 of the group from our district, and at least some people from other states, all got violently ill at pretty much the same moment yesterday.  I haven't seen anybody today to know how they're doing, but that is definitely scary!  At that point, we'd all only eaten at the hotel since we got here.  Maybe a bad batch of something?  Just in case it was the fresh fruit or something like that, I will NOT be eating here today.  I am going to head out to find breakfast in a few.  Unfortunately, my favorite donut shop doesn't open until after I need to be in the conference.

One of the people who will be riding in my car is one of the sick ones.  I will need to find out if she is good to travel the 90 minutes home. 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning, Zel.  Hopefully your friends are better this morning.

I got in 6.1 miles this morning and it felt AWESOME!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Zelanie

Nice run, Robert!

PADRunner

Morning, 8 done for me this morning.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Apparently you aren't the only one running at the conference, Zel.   Enjoy the Donut.

Good morning, Robert and PAD.

Short run for us today.  Too windy for a LR.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! My first ever 14 miler is in the books. Snowy and gross, my feet got totally soaked, but otherwise it went as well as I could have expected. Had company for miles 4-10, finished strong - the last mile was my fastest, 9:27. At work now, I expect that I'll spend the rest of the day grazing. Have a bunch of stuff to do before the end of the day and my legs are all "we need food pls and thank you!"

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning pens! My first ever 14 miler is in the books. Snowy and gross, my feet got totally soaked, but otherwise it went as well as I could have expected. Had company for miles 4-10, finished strong - the last mile was my fastest, 9:27. At work now, I expect that I'll spend the rest of the day grazing. Have a bunch of stuff to do before the end of the day and my legs are all "we need food pls and thank you!"

Congrats, Lauren !!!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice job, Lauren!

Running for TJ because he can't.

From the Internet.

Thanks guys! Big grin

HappySaturday Pens!

Beautiful day here. Just in from an easy 5. Was supposed to go 7 but cut it short so DH and I can take DFIL out for a Chili fundraiser.

Hope you and your group bounce back, Zel.

Lauren - way to go on on the 14. My SLR for next Sunday is 14 miles, which will be my longest run ever -- If the good Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise. You finished so fast!! Way to go.

Enjoy the rest of your day Pens!!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

on my way to badass

There is some serious mileage here!  I feel like a slacker, I ran a 5k and it sucked.  My lack of hill training became hugely obvious.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Wimped out and ran inside.  3 miles.

Glad you got the race done, SF.

GinnyinPA

Z - I wonder if your co-workers were getting food poisoning when they were doing happy hour while you were on the treadmill?  Maybe doing your runs was good for you in more than one way.  I'm hoping you escaped it completely.

Robert - great run this morning.

PAD - nice MLR for you today.  Have you started your taper?

Jerry - sorry about the wind.  I think that cold front is arriving here tomorrow.

Lauren - congratulations on your first 14er.  Did you go with a group or just run into someone on the way?

Kathleen - have fun at the chili supper.  Nice run.

Stonefence - it's hard to do hills and speed at the same time.  I can usually run most of the hills on my leisurely runs, but when it comes to doing it in a race, that's much much harder.  I hate walking hills, but I'll do it if I have to.  Do you have someplace you can practice hills?

Today was supposed to be 10 at marathon pace, but my leg was hurting so I kept it a bit slower.  Still, it was a beautiful day, so I was happy to be outside enjoying the sunshine.

Brilliant

Nice running, Robert, Lauren, Kathleen, Ginny, SF, Jerry and PAD!!  Penguins have been busy already today!

Zel, hope you don't get sick and that your car-pooler is not too sick!

SF, I'm sorry the race was not what you hoped for.    Hills are not my favorite either.  But I agree with Ginny that you should find some to train on.  Because I've added some hills to my "easy" runs, when I face a hill now I can say, "I'm not afraid of you!"  (yes, I actually say that)

6 easy miles done this morning.  The last mile wasn't so easy.  Still in recovery mode.

Have a great weekend everyone!