Beginners and Beyond

Running along the Columbia River in Wenatchee (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

I went to Wenatchee, Washington, with my wife from Jul 29 - August 4, for her 40th high school reunion. During that week I did manage to get some running in, including a 5K on July 31,  a 4.2 mile run on August 1, a 3.2 mile run on August 1 in Confluence State Park, and a really wild trail run at Icicle Gorge Trail on August 2.   These runs were quite a change from San Antonio as the morning temps were usually in the low to middle 60s......sweeeet!   Below are the photos I took on these run/walks of mine.

Running along the Columbia River in Wenatchee

Very nice paved trails in Wenatchee along the Columbia River.  If you do the full loop - which includes crossing the Columbia Bridge - it would be a total of 10 miles. I did just an out-and-back from one of the parks in this loop, Walla Walla Park, ending up with 4.2 miles.

Gail accompanied me to this area and did a walk.  Of course, before we started, we had to get a selfie. I think I am starting to get quite good at taking these with my old-time camera, lol.

photo 044_zpse8yalorb.jpg

photo 045_zpsyo2p0mcg.jpg

Of course, no run with me would be complete without encountering a dog or two, lol.

photo 046_zpsrz0xtdyn.jpg

The view from the part of the paved loop where we started

photo 041_zpsfs3yndbu.jpg

And off I go, down the trail....with more lovely views....

photo 047_zps2xwhivb0.jpg

Met this guy...

photo 048_zpsbu7blc30.jpg

photo 049_zpsmpvkbk6t.jpg

Some interesting art along the way

photo 050_zpszw1g434v.jpg

photo 051_zpseaf5lhkj.jpg

Near the Columbia Bridge, encountered Old Glory

photo 052_zpskihuxkwl.jpg

photo 056_zps8qtzzxdl.jpg

Columbia Bridge ramp which takes you up to the bridge to cross over to the East side of the river.  I turned around here to head back, getting a couple photos before I did

photo 057_zpstreyfyqx.jpg

photo 058_zpsgck5upie.jpg

photo 059_zps2smmhrqa.jpg

Heading back to my car now...

photo 060_zpsjjfl61qn.jpg

photo 061_zpss14dxbfn.jpg

photo 062_zpsfkpxxm5q.jpg

How'd they know I'd be coming this way? 

photo 064_zps5maqbvnl.jpg

photo 065_zpsigvatvsw.jpg

photo 066_zpsorxeshcg.jpg

Finishing up at Old Glory in the area I started at....nice...flag at the start and finish and at the turn-around area.

photo 067_zpsqa56y3cm.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt