Beginners and Beyond

FriDailies on ice (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

Morning all! Freezing rain all day. I ain't driving in this if I get my say, and I do get my say.

Screw shoes?

bluerun

Super B****

I don't think screw shoes would be very effective against the thin layer of ice formed by freezing rain, would they??

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

Screw shoes?

Screw shoes is right, go ice skates. 

bluerun

Super B****

My run kind of sucked because I was so tired... I've been going to sleep before 9 PM lately, so there is really no reason for me to be so exhausted (at least none that anyone can find), and it's really getting very very old. Never mind running -- I can't be a functional human!

I fartlekked 7.55, which is nearly a mile longer than this was mapped out to be.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

'Friday.  I treadmilled my run this morning and did the tempo run that I blew off last night.  7 x 5:00/1:00 tempo, with a 4:00 Charlie Brown Christmas Tree in the middle.  Good run.  Glad it's done.  I've got my swim stuff with me for after work, but I'll probably blow that off too.  *shrug*

<3

delicate flower

bluerun, that is some awesome mapping right there.

<3

Best I can do is a latke.

Dave

From the Internet.

Morning! Gonna run a few miles around 11. Child and her friends are meeting up at the middle school track, so I'll probably supervise/jog with them for a bit and then finish up my run after they're done.

I got pasta roller and meat grinder attachments for my stand mixer, so my afternoon is going to be spent playing with those things! Did a bunch of cleaning yesterday so I'd have actual room in my kitchen to do stuff.

delicate flower

Best I can do is a latke.

I had some awesome latkes on Christmas Eve.  Of course, I referred to them as "hash browns."

<3

10 Burke lake, as slow as I could go.

really glad we are Not having a cold snapπŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

GAS regulator for the house was failing and gas was leak out the vent pipe outside the house (no leak in the house).

Sooo they shut off the gas last night about 7pm.

Washington Gas replaced the regulator just now and gas and furnace back on.

main part of the house was built in 1955 so not real surprising that the regulator was failing after 64 years

Cyberic

Docket_Rocket

Best I can do is eat a latke.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning! It's my Friday off so just woke up. Heading in an hour or so to run my 8 with strides. I found a hillier route so hope I don't die. Lots of hills around my house and since I don't run outside the suburb during the weekdays when I run at night, it's been nice to explore when I can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

My run kind of sucked because I was so tired... I've been going to sleep before 9 PM lately, so there is really no reason for me to be so exhausted (at least none that anyone can find), and it's really getting very very old. Never mind running -- I can't be a functional human!

I fartlekked 7.55, which is nearly a mile longer than this was mapped out to be.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Cyberic

I don't think screw shoes would be very effective against the thin layer of ice formed by freezing rain, would they??

That's actually when they're the most effective, when the temps are not too cold. The screws, with my weight, dig into the soft ice. When temps are very cold, after freezing rain, the ice is hard and the screws don't penetrate the ice.

But today I remembered I don't have screw shoes anymore. I retired my old pair. Didn't feel like making a new pair so I put on the old YakTrax run, with spikes in front and coils in the back.

While running I decided that since I was running on ice anyways, might as well run the mountain that was icy before the freezing rain.

Up and up I go. Then down... oh shit... the coils in the back are very slippery so I need to use my forefoot more even going down. Not too bad, but about a third of my way down, I started slipping more and more. Found a bench, and looked. My spikes were almost completely "buried" in ice. Hard to explain in writing, but the way the YakTrax are built, that you can change the spikes, that design was the cause of the problem. So I scraped some ice off the individual spikes with my thumb nail, and went back down. It was a little better for a while, but they clogged up again.

But didn't fall, made it down, and once I hit the city "slippery" sidewalks I was golden.